Not Washing Hands for Freedom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Feb 3, 2015.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

Is this really how far some people are willing to go to claim freedom?

Is there really a big enough problem with requiring restaurant workers to wash their hands after going to the bathroom that it is seen as an affront to freedom?

I'm seriously beginning to question the mental state of a large portion of our lawmakers.

Senator Fights for Restaurant Employees' Rights to Not Wash Their Hands

And, since Duck will likely question the source, here are a few more:
    MSNBC
    Huffington Post
    District Sentinel
    RawStory
    The Hill
    Boston Herald
    Fox News
    Washington Post

2. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

As if I didn't have enough reasons to not want to eat out.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Having worked in a fast food restaurant, I would never, ever, eat at a fast food restaurant.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I feel like allowing restaurants to opt out of having their employees have to wash their hands makes about as much sense as allowing parents to opt their kids out of vaccinations.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cool. Now we can look forward to non-immunized people not washing their hands after they go to the bathroom.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hmm. Know what that taste is? FREEDOM! It has a spicy tang to it, sorta like trichinosis.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Wow... it's like GOP is trying to become the "pro-disease" party. :rolleyes:

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey, if I wanna die crapping myself while coughing up blood, that's my right.

Sorry you got sick, too. But hey, just think of yourself as collateral damage sustained during my fight for freedom. It'll make you feel better. At least for a little while.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Seems some kind of genetic defect. They just can't seem to help themselves

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

At this point, I'm pretty sure they're tolling the collective citizenry. There's no way that a person at this level could think that this is A) a good idea and B) worth the time of even the deepest, most forgotten about committee in either house.

Moreover, what restaurant in their right mind would be wiling to accept the oncoming negligence suit they'll be slapped with if they don't require employees to wash their hands.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

North Carolina should have re-elected their former senator, Democrat Kay Hagan. She only lost by 2%. Must be at least that many voters feeling the pangs of buyer's remorse right about now. Senator Tillis certainly provides ammo for people busily collecting examples of why they believe the Republicans are brain dead when it comes to making sensible policy.

Even if Tillis claims, as I believe he is doing now, that he was more or less joking about something like that in order to make a point about self-regulatory capacity of the markets, and that his audience at the time understood that, he picked a way wrong example in this time of concern about Ebola and now measles. One can't even ask what he was thinking. Even with talking points passed out to these guys, they can't think past the bubble of their own ad libbed punchlines.

The RNC must be in a panic. The run-ups to the 2016 season haven't even got off the ground yet and their loose cannons who aren't even candidates have already run amok. Wait until the actual candidates for nomination get out there looking for free TV exposure. What could go wrong then when it really matters?!

/stocks up on popcorn

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Because their hands are dirty. :p

15. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

16. thekev, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

For whatever reason that reminded me of Pet Semetary. "We bury our own...". Too bad that guy from the shovel fight doesn't live in North Carolina. It also would have been funny if he said he was washing his hands of regulation.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wish I could agree with you. I don't think they're trolling, I think they are pandering to and fanning the flames of ignorance. We're pretty close to the Republican Party slogan; America, Celebrate the Ignorance.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Im not sure there's enough clean handed facepalms on the internet for this.

19. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Ignorance sells and as evidenced by the success of Fox News, business is good.

20. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean, maybe he's just saying "that's the type of thing we're talking about" when he says "we're so overly regulated" and he doesn't actually believe it. But, it does truly sound like this is something he wants to see eliminated in our quest for freedom.

Newsflash, buddy....you will never have total freedom as long as you live in a society with other people. Something's gotta give. And if you're preparing food for others, wash your damn hands. If that makes you feel oppressed, then I'd say there are far greater problems going on inside.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Watched the video. I didn't take this as a proposal to eliminate hand washing. It was intended as an illustration of how a free market would compensate for reduced regulation: Folks would boycott the business and it would fail. Seems reasonable, huh?

Where his reasoning falls down entirely is that he states he would require business owners to their disclose their unhygienic policy (through signage, etc) to the public. But hang on a minute. That's a government-imposed obligation on the business. It's regulation - Just a different regulation.

So with his nice little illustration he sounds more "free market", "business friendly" and "anti-Nanny-State"- but he's no different from the rest.

Career politician at work!

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Better question, why are they elected? I scorn the GOP, but really it's the nincompoops electing them. I'm alarmed about this country's future. If there are any positive crumbs it's that my decision to dump the GOP has been reinforced, confirmed, and vindicated too many times to mention. ;)

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

The answer is simple, lack of education. The GOP knows how to talk to their targeted audience.

http://www.wiredtoshare.com/estelle...tion_between_school_and_political_affiliation

The unfortunate reality is that this country will be in constant political gridlock until the uneducated wake up to the reality that the American economy is shifting more and more towards a high skilled labor force. Just graduating high school or getting a GED simply won't cut it anymore.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I suspect the point he's trying to make is that, even without regulation, some issues are capable of working themselves out. In that regard, he has a point - if a restaurant openly advertised that they don't require their employees to wash their hands, people would stop eating there - the problem would pretty much take care of itself.

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As pointed out above, his example is not without regulation. He's just substituting one regulation for another. The rules by which a busness "opts out" would need to be spelled out and policed somehow.

In certain parts of the country, restaurants have to post a large sign with the results of their health department inspection. (e.g. http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/misc/ehpost.htm) it does no good if they post such a thing on the interior wall of their broom closet in 3 point font or on page 59 of the newspaper that no one reads.

Doesn't stop patrons from eating at a place with a B or a C rating.

B