Not where, but how do I sell a brand new iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s54, Oct 28, 2013.

1. s54 macrumors regular

Here's the deal...

I'm a current silver Verizon 5S owner. Last week I snatched a brand new gold Verizon 5S for $200 via the "glitch" on the Verizon website, which allowed me to keep unlimited.

Anyway, the phone already shipped and will be here tomorrow. When it gets here, I want to sell it ASAP.

My question is, how do I sell a brand new iPhone 5S? Do I need to actually open the box and take anything out? Or can I sell it sealed in the box?

I don't want to actually activate this phone. I just want to keep my current 5S. I believe I opted to keep my existing SIM. Does that mean that I can sell the phone sealed in the box?

2. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

What was "the glitch"? And why did I not cash in on this... :(

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

It wasn't a glitch it was a planned promo that lasted a week and ended on the last day for sales on the 3rd QTR. It has even reopened a couple of times since then and I am even hearing reports that it still works at best buy mobile

4. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Are you just looking to get your money back for the phone? If that's all you're after you could just refuse delivery. UPS, or whoever, will then return the phone to Verizon, who should then refund your money. I would call Verizon first to confirm that this would work.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Open it and remove your SIM card. Then you can sell it.

6. s54 thread starter macrumors regular

No.

I bought it for $200 and I'm looking to make ~$450/500 by selling it.

Thanks.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

7. rockitdog Suspended

Bummer. Opening a sealed iPhone box has got to knock a device down about $100 I'm guessing.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

9. s54 thread starter macrumors regular

I believe without a SIM.

10. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Nah. A new iPhone is a new iPhone. Take a look at eBay, there is virtually no difference between boxed and opened 5S'

The OP would just have to say that he opened it to take his sim out and verify that there was no damage.

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You have to open it to activate it. You have to enter the last 4 digits of your social security number and your zip code. If you sell it without activating it you will have to provide your personal information to the buyer.

Just open it. Enter your personal information and activate, then sell it.

12. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

But you also renewed your contract at that price. If you sell it for only $450/500 you're losing money in the end. To actually MAKE $450 your sale price would have to be $1100. I could see getting that kind of money around launch day, but not now. I'm seeing Buy It Now prices on eBay of around $800 for a new 16GB gold iPhone 5s on Verizon. You might be better off saving that upgrade for next year so you can get the 6.

If you really want to play this game, try to get a launch day retina iPad mini. From the sounds of it, they'll be really hard to come by and you should be able to get a premium for that.

13. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you don't need to do all that . All you need to do it take your current sim and put it in the new device and you are good to go . 4G phones do not get activated ! You could also call customer service and tell them that you are going to give it as a gift to somebody and you could sell it without being opened

----------

Not at all since he would be paying full retail price for the Iphone 6 if he wants to keep unlimited data. This is like the last chance for all of use data pigs with unlimited data to get a discount on an upgrade

14. s54 thread starter macrumors regular

You misread my post.

I didn't say that I wanted to sell the phone for $500. I said I'm going to make or recoup roughly $500 after selling it.

Let me break it down...

1. I sold my old iPhone 5 for $450.
    2. I bought a new 5S for full price of $750 without resigning the contract.
    3. Now I bought a second 5S, which cost me $251 shipped. I resigned the contract and kept my unlimited data due to the "glitch" (or whatever people wanna call it)
    4. I want to sell this brand new 5S for about $750

Therefore, between selling my old iPhone 5 and buying a new 5S, I will have made about $200 in the process. I'm staying with Verizon, so essentially I got the 5S for "free" and retained ~$200 in my pocket.

What I meant before was that by selling the new 5S, I will make about $450-500 on the transaction, since I paid $250 for it.

Does that make sense?

15. wxman2003 Suspended

16. s54 thread starter macrumors regular

Strange.

I did not have to enter my SSN digits and zip code when I activated my current 5S.

17. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

18. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Just swapping sim cards will activate it