Note: If you have a "yellowish screen" on launch day... your iPad is probably fine!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1080p, Mar 11, 2012.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

LOL... I thought I'd post this ahead of launch day. With the launch of recent launches of iOS devices, many people cried in horror that their screen had a yellowish color. This could also happen with some our our new iPads.

It is glue that is drying! During some launches, Apple is working so hard to meet demand, that these things are literally coming off the assembly lines and shipping straight to us. The glass digitizer and the LCD screen are bonded together with a special glue. Some of us get screens that look a little yellow. It functions fine otherwise. The yellow color goes away after the glue finally dries.

[​IMG]

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

My screen had a small yellowish spot on it that was a little annoying, I thought it'd disappear but it remained there for the entire year I had it. Let me erase a year of wear and tear by replacing it at the Apple Store just before the warranty expired though....

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yellowing might go away, but backlight bleed will not.

It is backlight bleed that will be the deal breaker for me. The very reason I never kept an iPad 2.

4. aeiron, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

aeiron macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not necessarily true. The 4s is calibrated with a warmer color profile as proven by the 'color profiles' jailbreak tweak. I had to jailbreak my iPhone to get rid of the yellow.

5. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I foresee you not keeping your iPad 3. If anything, QC will probably be worse on this first run of retina displays.

Also, I may be wrong but I think Apple and its vendors are pretty bad with displays in general (to a much lesser extent stuff like ACD or iMacs). I know the "yellow vs. blue" thing was a big problem with the iPhone 4/4S, and my Anti-Glare MBP was returned twice before I settled on a screen that was acceptable (though still pretty bad).

6. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Good luck finding edge-lit LCD that doesn't backlight bleed from ANY makers. It's just a matter of by how much and the way the technology works.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Yellow screen syndrome will not be a problem with the new model.

Apple got a substantial discount on a new adhesive that will not produce this result, even while drying.

The technical name is very hard to spell.

However insiders as well as many laymen will recognize it's
    generic label: bubblegum :D

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I appreciate both your advice and AppleHater.

I do not understand how people can live with the backlight bleed I saw on iPad 2s. I must use these devices in darker rooms or some factor like that.

My original iPad has virtually no backlight bleed, great display. Second, the original iPad I gave my mother, I looked at again on Saturday. It does have backlight bleed, but to an extent I could completely live with. Minimal.

All three iPad 2s I tried were awful.

My iPhone 4 & 4s have no backlight bleed that I can notice.

I believe it can be done, and hopefully they will do it.

If not, maybe it will be minimal like some of the original iPads. If it is anything like the iPad 2s I tried, I will have to return it.

I do not blame anyone for keeping it, if it doesn't bother them. However, for those it bothers, it's not worth $500-$900 to be unhappy.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Actually, there may be some serious truth to your statement, insofar as it relates to the iPad 2. I briefly owned an iPad 2 prior to pulling the trigger on the 3, and the backlight bleed really jumped out at me, moreso than with any other Apple gadget. I always knew it was there, but with the iPad 2 it was really in my face more than anything else. So it could just be the iPad 2 displays to blame? We'll find out on Friday I guess.

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i dont understand what people are trying to accomplish by pointing out their extreme anal retentiveness...

its like they think they are distinguished from "normal" users because things like (the most minute) backlight bleed or a dead pixel is completely unacceptable to them. You would think they paid twice as much as the rest of us did..

people are never happy

(btw, if the bleed bothers you so much...a white iPad makes it much less noticeable)

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

This is complete bull ****. I had a white iPad 2 with horrendous backlight bleeding, which I returned, and trust me... the problem was widespread, noticeable, unacceptable and a design flaw. I type this reply on my bleed-free original iPad. I am extremely curious if the new iPad's extra thickness and slight design tweak cures this issue.

12. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It isn't glue it's just some are warmer or cooler some do look bad though. I hope this crap is sorted with the iPads it would be a shame if it's the same as last year. I'm talking about the backlight bleed.

13. maclook macrumors 65816

It's not a design flaw. It's a an assembly/manufacturing flaw. I exchanged my backlight bleeding iPad 2 for a perfect one that had no light bleeding at all.

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Are they supposed to pony up $500 to $830 for a device and live with a bad screen?

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It is a combination of both- thinness combined with uneven distribution of pressure of the glass on the edges of the panel and in turn pressure on the components. I could make my light bleed worse by simply pressing a bit on the bezel closest to the edges of the screen where the bleeding was. People can try it themselves. It's a combination of design flaw and assembly variation, as I've mentioned in many threads before.

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Extra thickness? You do realize how MUCH thicker it is right? Close your eyes, you can't tell the difference. It's very very very minor. It's not like it adds 3 mm layer or something, it's barely anything.

17. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

somehow MILLIONS of others are able to....

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Yes and no. My friend and I each got the iPad 2 when it came out. Mine had a dead pixel, but I was okay with it because it was on the far edge of my iPad, and it seemed to have gone away after a week.

My friend on the other hand was not so lucky. Pretty severe backlight bleed along the edge, and three dead pixels clustered together in the dead center of his screen. It made watching movies really annoying when it looked like someone was aiming a gun reticule at the screen.

IMO, you're entitled to new products that are free of factory flaws or defects. I shouldn't have to resort to an alternate color choice to fix a problem that I didn't cause, or "deal with it." If your brand new 80" TV has backlight bleed and dead pixels, what, you're gonna say, "oh well"? No, you're gonna go and have that TV replaced.

And if the company is willing to provide a replacement free of charge, why not do so?

19. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Trying to talk sense into these people will forever be futile. Many (not all) are manic teenagers. The rest simply act like manic teenagers. This post, like yours, will see a lot of negative votes just because these manic teenagers are insulted that I would dare accuse them of acting like manic teenagers.

All that being said, I commend you for your calm sense of reason, and for your use of 'the more you know,' which is just perfect.

20. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Well according to my receipt my iPad was manufactured in the 3rd week of January so I would imagine the glue would be dried on mine.

21. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Yes, I realize... you don't understand why I think it would solve the issue, obviously. The bleed is caused by uneven pressure distribution and over- compaction. Even the smallest deviancy in thickness may solve the issue.

22. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I understand that part, and I agree to it. I am just commenting on the way you phrased it, as if it was so massively thicker, that you can stick another iPad in the space.

Anyway; the yellowness is not visible - at all - on the two I've had in my hands today.

23. bobright macrumors 601

You had your hands on the new iPad?

24. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I never said anything about it being massively thicker. I said "extra thickness and slight design tweak". That is completely accurate and the phrasing was fine. I cannot help if someone exaggerates my words. Also, I was talking about light bleed, not "yellowness" as that is related to glue drying and a completely different issue.

25. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Besides the glue and backlight bleed issues, the other significant screen issue with both the iPad 2 and iPhone 4/ 4s is that they mostly suffer from an insanely putrid yellow color profile that was not a significant issue with earlier models. You can make the warm vs cool argument, but I'm sorry, white is a friggin' COLOR - and white is NOT light yellow. The yellowish color profiles are extremely irritating to me, but I've seen this on almost every iPad 2 and iPhone 4 / 4s that I've encountered. I sure hope this goes away with the new iPad.

And no this does NOT go away.

Tony