Note to self: Don't leave MacBook on top of car.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Yesterday I put my MacBook on the roof of my car while I cleared off room for one of my friends. She was in a case/case of course. So as I was driving and I turned the corner onto a busy intersection I noticed a black bag on the ground when driving away. I finally realized what it was and did a u-turn and stopped in the middle of the median. I ran out of my car watching as the possibility of my beloved computer getting smashed to pieces was increased. Luckily, every car dodged it. I ran into the middle of the road, picked it up, then noticed a cop pulled over before me. He was writing me a ticket for dangerous driving and interfering with traffic, but after after I told him what had happened, he apologized and asked if I was alright. I got in my car and pulled my baby out of her case and she was alright. When I got home all I noticed on her is that when she's closed the top bottom are just a little bit unaligned.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Glad you got your computer back and it wasn't damaged too badly. That said, you should be more careful. A laptop ain't worth getting killed over.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
My signature tells all about the punishment that my precious has had. :eek:

Nice to see that I'm not the only one that anthropomorphises my material possessions. :)

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Glad you didnt hit anyone, though.

Someone once left their macbook pro on the top of their car here in the dorms. She got to the forth floor, and by the time she realized and headed straight back down, someone had already taken it.

She tried flyers, but everyone pretty much said that its already formatted and on eBay.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Send it back to Apple under a warranty repair. Tell them excessive heat caused the problem. You will at least have a chance then. Do it and let me know what happens. My Think-pad under the same conditions would have suffered less damage.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yepp! :D
Most PC's would have broken from that kind of a fall and while turning.
I was soooo scared as I was running toward it.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. It really just means that you got lucky with how it fell.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Lucky SOB. Better it happened now than later when you have a baby :eek: ;)
But this is my baby.

Send it back to Apple under a warranty repair. Tell them excessive heat caused the problem. You will at least have a chance then. Do it and let me know what happens. My Think-pad under the same conditions would have suffered less damage.
Umm... I don't think that will work, this is a summer 2007 MacBook.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ahhh, that's why it survived the fall. Unibody would have been toast!
Really? Plastic against unibody aluminum?
Then again she has been through a lot. Her right palm rest is crack, on the bottom going up between the USB ports there are two cracks intersecting, and now she has fallen off of a car while turning.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
I keep seeing that in your sig and keep meaning to ask you.. how the hell did that happen!? :p
Well, I'd put up a new shelf, which seemed sturdy enough, just above my desk and put all of my computer related books and songbooks on it, which add up to a fair weight I suppose. A week later I got back from my girlfriend's to see my desk with a pile of books and a shelf on it. That left it with a couple of small dings in the cover.

A couple of weeks later I was video editing with my studio headphones on that have a very long lead. I was called, took off the headphones and put them next to the laptop and got up to walk to the door. The lead caught around my foot and the laptop went flying. That time it got a big dent on the corner where it hit the ground, but I pretty much got that out with a hammer and a bit of wood.

Before all of that, I'd kept it pristine for two years. :( Ah well, gives her character. :)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Well, I'd put up a new shelf, which seemed sturdy enough, just above my desk and put all of my computer related books and songbooks on it, which add up to a fair weight I suppose. A week later I got back from my girlfriend's to see my desk with a pile of books and a shelf on it. That left it with a couple of small dings in the cover.

A couple of weeks later I was video editing with my studio headphones on that have a very long lead. I was called, took off the headphones and put them next to the laptop and got up to walk to the door. The lead caught around my foot and the laptop went flying. That time it got a big dent on the corner where it hit the ground, but I pretty much got that out with a hammer and a bit of wood.

Before all of that, I'd kept it pristine for two years. :( Ah well, gives her character. :)
So it happened twice? D: