Nothing Divides Voters Like Owning a Gun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

The map is over simplified but I think it’s still mostly accurate. My only question would be are there suburban gun owners who aren’t as hard core or guns aren’t their most important issue that could be swing voters or could vote Democrat just because they don’t like the way Trump behaves. Democrats won 9 million more votes than Republicans in 2018. Gotta believe some of those 9 million are gun owners.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Considering the # of illegal guns owned especially in urban centers where D win every time, I don't think we can make many considerations based on that.

4. LordVic macrumors 603

There are a lot of Democrat gun owners.

I think this idea that it's a Republican vs Democrat thing regarding gun ownership as highly simplistic and misleading.

Where the divide between Republicans and Democrats lie is in treatment of those guns.

Democrat Gun owners for the most part agree with regulations that help reduce gun violence. Even as gun owners themselves.

Republicans seem to be more "its my right and nobody can regulate it!" style owners.

both support guns. But only one has taken a stance of an extreme "all or nothing" point of view. I've got family in Texas who are gun owners, but are Democrats. Support responsible gun ownership with reasonable limits.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I agree with this.

6. cube macrumors P6

Maybe the government will side with the people without guns.

It could still be short: missiles vs. guns.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Unlikely, I don't see cops, and the military go with the lefty line of thought. But who knows...

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

our military has missiles/tanks/jets, they have not been able to win wars in Vietnam or the M-E.........

9. cube macrumors P6

Maybe gun lovers will revolt against the government when it bans guns.

10. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Was Clinton proposing to ban guns in the election vs Trump not? If that's not the case this demonstrates there's a correlation between gun ownership and conservatism/ Republican voting/ Trump himself and vice versa for non gun owners, but little else.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’ve seen both on here and other places that 2nd amendment people won’t budge partially because of the rhetoric being lobbed at them like saying they are all murderers. Really? We shouldn’t do anything to prevent people getting killed because words hurt your feelings?

But in all fairness, the left does the same with border control for Trump saying a lot of murderers and rapists makeup who is crossing the border.

So basically free speech has turned everybody into a thin skinned obstructionist baby.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

exactly what will happen

13. LordVic macrumors 603

I wouldn't say that free speach has led to that. We've always had free speech before this absolutism began.

I think it hedges a lot more from conservative Republicans style politics that have crept up, especially under Mitch McConnel in US politics.

The "team party" movement was really what this was all about. "No" for the sake of saying no. There was a time where politicians would reach accross the aisle to accept or understand the opinions of those on the other side. Something Democrats at least tried to do under Obama. There were, for example, Notable changes to the ACA brought about because Obama reached accross to take input from the Republicans and the Private sector. (not passing judgement on whether ACA turned out good or bad, just an example of the compromise and discussion that should be happening)

Meanwhile, while this is happening, you have leader of the senate who has expressedly stated that his only goal would be to make Obama a "one time president" and that they would run the entire time on nothing more than a policy of obstruction.

this behaviour, why I say it's a republican/conservative is that if you look around the world at conservative opposition parties, it's a common trend. The Canadian Conservatives are behaving exactly this same way. Their entire campaign is "we say no to the liberals" without providing any platform of their own.

This isn't by accident. There's an entire conservative based think tank international group (Currently Chaired by Stephen Harper) in which their stated goals is exactly that. To teach the worldwide conservatives the means to politically obstruct "leftist" agendas.

14. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

On the importance scale it certainly is a D vs R thing. I think Republicans care more about the right to own guns than Democrats do. The question is suburban voters. Suburban Republicans might be more squishy on guns.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2019 ---
    Which is why the government will never ban guns. If it tried there would be another civil war.

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It seems to be our main method for resolving disputes outside our borders so why not use it internally? Plus at the end of it we’ll finally fix the country’s infrastructure through military contractors.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I hope they put that on TV, that would be pretty awesome.

17. cube macrumors P6

Maybe it will just be a minority revolting.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it was 3% when the forefathers revolted and they won. there are about 70 million gun owners in the U.S.

19. cube macrumors P6

The British did not have missiles and tanks.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

we have missiles & tanks and jets and nukes and we can't beat a bunch of guys with AK's in the middle east, we also lost vietnam to guys armed the same way....

21. cube macrumors P6

But they did not take over the US.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Personally I think it's time to stop talking about civil wars and we start back talking about how to find common ground. All these controversies and hidden calls for action are saddening me.

23. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Bull$#!*.

I am all for responsible regulations, but they have to actually do something. Banning a gun because it has scary looking parts is idiotic at best.

Also, why don't we actually enforce the laws we have already passed first. Most of the guns in Chicago are a result of straw sales from Indiana. Why not trace them back to the original purchaser and start locking these people up. We have enough laws to control some of this, but we don't enforce them well enough.

24. LordVic macrumors 603

Pardon the generalization as not intended. not ALL republicans are to that extreme. But those extremes. The people who scream "over my dead body" when talking about any gun laws. The people who have outright said that a few dead kids are worth their right to carry anything, anywhere, anytime. They tend to find a home in the republican party far easier than anywhere else.

That isn't saying ALL republicans are that way. And I didn't mean to imply as such. Just that those in the "not an inch" tend to flock to the republican party. Because historically, the Republican leadership has also been of this mindset.