nothing to sphere but sphere itself

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A yougov poll reveals that 66% of millennials believe that the world is round. That seems a bit troubling. Well, even the overall national (US) average of 84% is disturbing.

Luckily, the actual solid FECT numbers are 4% for millennials, 2% for everyone, but my goodness those people get too much coverage. You might almost think there was a rising Flat Earth movement, when in fact, they are such good entertainment.

It seems likely that the big numbers (not sure/other) are just people who do not bother to give it much thought. But at least those over 55 are convinced (94%) that we live on a ball.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’ve always thought flat earth people were just saying what they say as a joke to get internet clicks but it’s becoming more popular and it’s rather worrying. Most of the material I have seen originates from America a country that has performed extensive space exploration. Are there really that many thick uneducated people in existence?

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I once asked a flat earth person on a Facebook post why you can’t see all the countries on a single view of the earth?
    [​IMG]
    They must be around the back lol. I do find it funny though people passionately feel space is made up of flat disks that can never be viewed side on lol.

5. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Trolls, trolls everywhere.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

This is just people trolling surveys. Nothing to see.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I pray to God these kids just answered as a joke or public schools have completely failed.

8. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The problem with a poll like referenced, is the smart aleck factor. I’d have to see the FE individual in person to size their sincerity up.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2018 ---
    Don’t believe your eyes, fake science, fake photo....what does Rush* think? :oops:
    *political ref

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I don’t doubt that some of this was trolling, but over a third of Americans (and about half of Republicans) don’t accept evolution. We have a significant problem with science education in this country.

11. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

And Trump won 46% of the popular vote in 2016.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

12. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

From what I can tell, the Ball Earth is a conspiracy by some guys to trick into something-or-the-other so that those fiendish conspirators can keep us down, fill our heads with lies and take our money to fund their fiendish plans.

You know, the same guys who fly airplanes way up in the sky spreading evil chemicals that rain down on us from their contrails. The ones who have conspired to make aluminum foil popular, because it amplifies the mind control beams, and the good, effective tin foil is almost impossible to find.

Because we are smarter than those one guys and can see through their evil schemes. Or somesuch.

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

My wife's company (big pharma) had a mandatory training session on how to work with millennials, akin to sensitivity training. You can't make this stuff up!

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Hey, some of my favourite people are millennials, and they're nothing like the negative stereotypes many state about that generation. besides there is a new generation - Gen Z.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’m technically a ‘millennial’ as I was 18 years old in 2000. I don’t take much notice of stereotypes though but I have noticed it seems to be popular in America to label just about anything, especially if it’s derogatory towards an opposing view.

16. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It’s more common than you think. We have a few that are nearly overconfident and I have to wonder what will happen when they make a mistake. Recovery or total meltdown?

18. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I don't know, it's scary. I like to think back to when I was younger and what the "Elders" thought of me. They probably felt the same then as I/we do now. Finger crossed of course. ;)

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I’ve watched flat earther videos on YouTube for fun. Those people are bat$@&t crazy but they make good arguments. I can see why people buy into it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 9, 2018 ---
    I work for a railroad. Railroads have been known for being pretty cutthroat and the kind of place where you get sworn at/yelled at by several people a day. Make a mistake? You’re fired on the spot and they’ll deal with a hearing later. We talk a lot about how the everyone-gets-a-trophy crowd are going to change the culture there whether we like it or not.