Nothing you didn't know but... (AT&T Chat)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBreatheApple, Sep 9, 2012.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I figured some might find my chat with AT&T interesting even though there's nothing new or special here. Also, I know how it all works, but I wanted to dumb it up just a little bit. The purpose of the chat was really just to see what they had to say.

I also wasn't aware that they bumped dates last year, they just gave me a $250 bill credit. Here's to hoping they will do some bumping! (See the red text.)

2. britneyfan macrumors 6502

They all give you different answers. I called today and a person said I was eligible next month and then I called back and they said it was a mistake. I was livid. LOL. Hopefully there was some truth to it though.

3. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Working in a CS type job, I can see why he wouldn't be able to say either way on the upgrade eligibility. I think AT&T may treat it like a promotion on letting you upgrade early rather then a contract contingency. If you have a FAN#, I do believe this helps. I know people that had other iPhones longer then me without the FAN# and they weren't able to upgrade and I was. I use my real estate FAN# and I am considered a business account, so that may be why as well.

I never questioned it because my first 2 iPhones were 3GS (Oct. and Dec.) and then the 4 was out the next summer and I was able to upgrade both to the 4 at the discount/contract price. Maybe the fact that we added 2 more lines and still used the 3GS iPhones (4 phones total) helped as well.

4. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Well I opened a ghost line 4 months before the 4S launched and that line is eligible for the +$250 pricing. I wish I understood their upgrade formulas better.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The upgrade formula seems rather simple. A 2 year contract is signed once you purchase an iPhone at a subsidized price. Any time your upgrade date is pushed forward it is called luck. It is not required, it is not "your right", and it may or may not happen. The formula for this is unknown but one does not need a formula for something like this when they're sitting on a 2-year contract.

Weird, right?

6. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm wondering how long it takes to reset upgrade status. I bought a Galaxy last week and I'm taking it back today. Wasn't my cup of tea. Fortunately I have 4 other phones on my account elligible for upgrades. My dad was going to get whatever the free iPhone is, so I'll just use his line if mine isn't restored and let him use my iPhone 4, since that's what the free one will probably be.

FWIW - My upgrade status now say 4/14, which is 19 months after I bought the S3. I have been with AT&T/Cingular since 1999 and have 6 phones on my account now with a bill close to $300/mo.

7. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It's not called luck, actually. There are factors such as having a FAN account. Will you also show me where I stated it was required for me to be eligible for an upgrade? In fact, I specifically acknowledged the fact that I understand I signed a 2-year commitment. Not here for arrogance. :apple:

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Or you can see it as a quicker way to get customers who are wasting their time off the phone ;)