Noticed a new bit of info added to iPad page "up to 9 hours" on 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MythicFrost, Apr 18, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Meh, I figured I'd post this. It's no big deal, but I was interested to see it.
    It says the iPad will get 9 hours using the 3G data network, that's newly added I think, unless I'm mistaken?
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

2. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

3. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Hate to be *that guy* but I believe it's always said that.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Do you think? I've checked many times early on, I never saw it.

5. bluehaze013 macrumors 6502

3G is really taxing on the battery, I would be extremely happy with 9 hours out of it.

6. smoknyreyz macrumors newbie

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

8. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

9. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

10. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

So this probably means 10 or 11 hours as the Wi-Fi model was reported seeing battery life of 11 to 12 hours.

11. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I assume this just means when it is connected to the 3G network, not when you are actually USING the 3G service in an application, right? I would find it VERY hard to believe it could last 9 hours while you were streaming music from Pandora over 3G, for example, or even browsing the web over 3G for 9 hours. Either way, I'm not at all worried about battery life on the iPad with either version....

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

From the page:
    Apple's claims about 10 hours over WiFi (and sometimes more) have been pretty accurate, I imagine (and hope) that the 3G claims will also be 9+ hours.

13. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Why speculate when the information is posted right on their site?

Testing conducted by Apple in March 2010 using preproduction iPad units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi-Fi or 3G.

Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store.

Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding).

Internet over Wi-Fi and 3G tests were conducted using a closed network (for Wi-Fi only) and dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour.

All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over 3G); the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off.

Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.

14. soxfanreggie macrumors regular

Even if it's not and it's only 8 to 9 with 3G, I'll still be very happy. :)

15. Xybr macrumors member

So far, I like Apple's new battery expectancies. I've read that the iPad WiFi's 10 hours can mean 11-12 for most. :) But even 8 hours of 3G goodness would be awesome. I would've bought the WiFi version, but there's no open WiFi at work.

16. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs