Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Notification volume too loud

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: na1577

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Tacoma, WA
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.

This has been happening to me, too. Surprised no one has chimed in about this. I know I'm not imagining it!

Reactions: na1577
Comment

Nixle

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
iPhone 12 on iOS 14.2 (issue on 14.1 too), system sound volume is varying for things like keyboard clicks and locking sounds, sometime it’s very low but the sound increase as I type, same thing happens to the locking sound, use it multiple times and you hear that the lock sound isnt at the same frequency each time. Also when removing and reput the silicone apple magsafe case the locking sound has a different sound (hi pitch) and it does not go back to normal until you reboot the device..

Comment

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
iPhone 12 on iOS 14.2 (issue on 14.1 too), system sound volume is varying for things like keyboard clicks and locking sounds, sometime it’s very low but the sound increase as I type, same thing happens to the locking sound, use it multiple times and you hear that the lock sound isnt at the same frequency each time. Also when removing and reput the silicone apple magsafe case the locking sound has a different sound (hi pitch) and it does not go back to normal until you reboot the device..
Thank you for the confirmation. I just hope this isn’t another one of those bugs Apple waits until the next major iOS release to fix.

Comment

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Same. iPhone X and with iOS 14.
Notification volume goes to max but only when Airplay music/etc active. And its loud enough to make me jump!
Going into Sounds & Haptics and tweaking the 'Ringer and alerts' volume control seems to normalise it during Airplay.
But stopping and starting airplay and notifications go to max volume again.
Very very annoying.

Reactions: Yaro and Ndhdheneks
Comment

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
I am having the typing sound issue as well. It is really annoying actually as the clicks get progressively louder the more text I type. Very distracting!

Comment

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Glad I'm not the only one! Please report to apple via apple.com/feedback. I just did earlier. My notifications are WAY louder semi-randomly than the set volume

Comment

adrianlondon

macrumors 68030
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I didn't have this problem until the latest beta (I'm on 14.3) but it's now affecting me.

It seems my phone has three independent volumes. Ringer, media playback / speaker and alert/notifications. I've no idea how to adjust the last one, but sometimes the volume buttons appear to have an impact, and sometimes I get the ringer slider on the left (instead of at the top). Thing seems a mess.

At the moment, notifications are either coming in silently or as loud as possible. It seems random.

Last edited:
Reactions: rye9
Comment

Yaro

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Фрязино, Россия
The same behavior for my iPhone Xs 14.2.
Extremely loud uncontrollable notifications up to the rattling of the speaker while playing through Airplay.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.