Notorious RBG rips on Colin Kaepernick: "Dumb and Disrespectful"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Oct 10, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You get 'em, Ruthie!

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I agree simply because no one is talking about WHY they are not standing and instead are just focusing on them not standing.
    I still respect the way they chose to make their stand.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Well if anyone knows about being disrespectful.....
    [​IMG]

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Why? Personally I think it's dumb that the national anthem is played before sporting events and people stand for it anyway. I would sit just to make the point of saying there's no point to this.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I have to disagree with the RBG on this one. Villifying people for not saluting flags and troops and anthems doesn't sound very democratic to me.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not allowing them to vote would be undemocratic, calling them idiots is just expressing an opinion.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I partially agree with you, but the opinions of those ensconced in power are far more consequential than brainless Joe Sixpacks who cry traitor whenever someone expresses apathy for showy, superficial patriotic rituals. I have a lot of time for Ginsberg, but I wish she (and the entire SCOTUS) would just restrict themselves to their work when it comes to public statements.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why is flag burning a terrible thing to do?

It's a piece of cloth that's on fire.

Perhaps she's concerned about breathing the smoke, and what it could do to one's lungs.

I suppose burning the dyes can cause off-gassing.

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Careful, man. With all that edge you might end up cutting yourself.

10. thermodynamic, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Ginsberg said the same thing - disclaimer: I chose the first result for the search terms "Ginsberg Kaepernick":

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/...them-protests-its-dumb-and-disrespectful.html

I don't have time to scroll down 8 links so here is the link shown 4nd from the top:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...epernick-national-anthem-protests-really-dumb

And the 8th, why not?

http://people.com/sports/ruth-bader...pernicks-national-anthem-protest-really-dumb/
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    It represents our country and all who live in it. Burning it means to destroy it.

YOU are being no less included in its representation. In whatever form the flag is in.

Do you like being told "Go burn yourself"? I'd wager on "no".

But I am not telling you to do so. When someone else burns a flag, that is what they are saying. Whether you agree on the issue for effigy is one thing but if you weren't, then it might hit home harder. Either way, suicide is something most people do not advocate, especially if they claim to be civilized.

I fail to understand how the symbolism is not recognized or understood, much less not accepted, by our populace. Maybe it is a modern day equivalent of a "voodoo doll". Makes sense given what George H W Bush called our economic system in 1980, "voodoo economics"?

Why not turn the flag upside down instead, to show duress? It saves on materials, if nothing else. Real Progressives are into not wasting resources, right? Burning it in the way you seem to not understand is clearly a waste.

I think the following 3-part presentation will do a better job at explaining, noting that the announcer in part one also tells us that it is just as much for adults so do not take it as a slight or insult because we are all legal adults and not children:

Don't have an orgasm when hot teacher cuts up the flag shown in part two - "liberals" who filmed in studios back then had those damn regulations disallowing the use of real fire. Also because young children were present but those fall into those pesky regulation thingies too.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yeah. I don't bother getting off the couch when they belt out the Star Spangled Banner. Well, sometimes I stand up, but only to get more chips.:D

At the stadium, I would stand. If for no other reason than not to upset the very large football fanatic standing next to me.;)

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Whoa, I still have my copy of "The Children's Story" (most terrifying 80 pages I ever read) but I never knew it was filmed.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Last time I checked it was a piece of dyed, sewn cloth.

You people need to learn to control your idolatry.

Isn't that what Moses once said?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And the Notorious RBG just walked back her statement ...
    Go Niners. (Kap, try not to get broken in half this Sunday)

15. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Too late, RGB. You're just kowtowing to Safe Space SJWs.

Your original remark told us what you really believe.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oh, no doubt.

Never walk your statement back. C'mon NRBG.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

She only apologized because it's not what people wanted to hear, she's not sorry for saying it. She shouldn't be sorry for saying it. They can do what they want, she can say what she wants, both can reap the consequences of it.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

I find it interesting that people got so up in arms about him kneeling because they deemed it disrespectful yet some of the very same people (in my fb feed) are totally ok with the disrespect shown to women. Last I checked, people were more important.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

As soon as Hollywood jackoffs and obnoxious athletes restrict themselves to their work then I'm fine with it. Right?

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Whether our system operates the way it should has absolutely nothing to do with doffing one's cap to a flag, hand on heart, and singing anthems. I seriously suspect the intelligence of people who are hypersensitive about it.

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

With respect, you are completely wrong.

Respect is the foundation of modern society.

Respect for your neighbor. Respect for the law. Respect for society. Respect for your country.

Without respect, there is no society.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

We're pretty much there. Been sliding down hill since the early 1990's when the definition of "is" was called into question. This country is becoming a **** show.

23. Lord Blackadder, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Respect is the ability to disagree with someone without calling them a traitor. We are not sheep draped in the stars and stripes. If our flag represents a democratic republic with the rights enshrined in law, then that flag also represents the right - even the duty - of civil dissent. The moment people forget that, all the patriotic rituals become blind nationalism.

Your patriotism is not tested when everyone sings to the flag together and watches jets fly past. Your patriotism is tested when you are forced to reevaluate your own opinions through reasoned debate with those who disagree with you or question some of your most closely held assumptions. Engagement is respect. Suppression and censure is not. That is how we grow and persevere as a nation.

Apparently The Civil War, several presidential assassinations, Jim Crow, the internment of the Japanese during WWII and Watergate pale in comparison to the shocking abuse of the word "is" when it comes to moral failings among the populace. Either you don't read history or have an unhealthy fascination with semantics.

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Through all of what you mentioned, society still had a moral compass. People knew things were wrong. It's unfortunate that you didn't comprehend that salient point.