Notorious RBG rips on Colin Kaepernick: "Dumb and Disrespectful"

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I agree simply because no one is talking about WHY they are not standing and instead are just focusing on them not standing.
I still respect the way they chose to make their stand.

Reactions: WarHeadz

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I partially agree with you, but the opinions of those ensconced in power are far more consequential than brainless Joe Sixpacks who cry traitor whenever someone expresses apathy for showy, superficial patriotic rituals. I have a lot of time for Ginsberg, but I wish she (and the entire SCOTUS) would just restrict themselves to their work when it comes to public statements.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
"I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act."
Why is flag burning a terrible thing to do?

It's a piece of cloth that's on fire.

Perhaps she's concerned about breathing the smoke, and what it could do to one's lungs.

I suppose burning the dyes can cause off-gassing.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Why? Personally I think it's dumb that the national anthem is played before sporting events and people stand for it anyway. I would sit just to make the point of saying there's no point to this.
Careful, man. With all that edge you might end up cutting yourself.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
Ginsberg said the same thing - disclaimer: I chose the first result for the search terms "Ginsberg Kaepernick":

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/10/10/supreme-court-justice-ginsburg-on-kaepernicks-anthem-protests-its-dumb-and-disrespectful.html

I don't have time to scroll down 8 links so here is the link shown 4nd from the top:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17763208/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-justice-says-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protests-really-dumb

And the 8th, why not?

http://people.com/sports/ruth-bader-ginsburg-calls-colin-kaepernicks-national-anthem-protest-really-dumb/
[doublepost=1476210676][/doublepost]
Why is flag burning a terrible thing to do?
It represents our country and all who live in it. Burning it means to destroy it.

YOU are being no less included in its representation. In whatever form the flag is in.

Do you like being told "Go burn yourself"? I'd wager on "no".

But I am not telling you to do so. When someone else burns a flag, that is what they are saying. Whether you agree on the issue for effigy is one thing but if you weren't, then it might hit home harder. Either way, suicide is something most people do not advocate, especially if they claim to be civilized.

I fail to understand how the symbolism is not recognized or understood, much less not accepted, by our populace. Maybe it is a modern day equivalent of a "voodoo doll". Makes sense given what George H W Bush called our economic system in 1980, "voodoo economics"?

Why not turn the flag upside down instead, to show duress? It saves on materials, if nothing else. Real Progressives are into not wasting resources, right? Burning it in the way you seem to not understand is clearly a waste.

It's a piece of cloth that's on fire.

Perhaps she's concerned about breathing the smoke, and what it could do to one's lungs.

I suppose burning the dyes can cause off-gassing.

I think the following 3-part presentation will do a better job at explaining, noting that the announcer in part one also tells us that it is just as much for adults so do not take it as a slight or insult because we are all legal adults and not children:

Don't have an orgasm when hot teacher cuts up the flag shown in part two - "liberals" who filmed in studios back then had those damn regulations disallowing the use of real fire. Also because young children were present but those fall into those pesky regulation thingies too.

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Why? Personally I think it's dumb that the national anthem is played before sporting events and people stand for it anyway. I would sit just to make the point of saying there's no point to this.
Yeah. I don't bother getting off the couch when they belt out the Star Spangled Banner. Well, sometimes I stand up, but only to get more chips.:D

At the stadium, I would stand. If for no other reason than not to upset the very large football fanatic standing next to me.;)

Reactions: appleisking

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
And the Notorious RBG just walked back her statement ...
WASHINGTON -- Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is apologizing for characterizing as "dumb and disrespectful" the national anthem protests by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and other athletes.

The court released a statement from Ginsburg on Friday in which she said she was barely aware of the anthem protest and that her comments were "inappropriately dismissive and harsh."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17795159/ruth-bader-ginsburg-apologizes-criticizing-colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest
Go Niners. (Kap, try not to get broken in half this Sunday)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find it interesting that people got so up in arms about him kneeling because they deemed it disrespectful yet some of the very same people (in my fb feed) are totally ok with the disrespect shown to women. Last I checked, people were more important.

Reactions: zioxide and rdowns

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I partially agree with you, but the opinions of those ensconced in power are far more consequential than brainless Joe Sixpacks who cry traitor whenever someone expresses apathy for showy, superficial patriotic rituals. I have a lot of time for Ginsberg, but I wish she (and the entire SCOTUS) would just restrict themselves to their work when it comes to public statements.
As soon as Hollywood jackoffs and obnoxious athletes restrict themselves to their work then I'm fine with it. Right?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Whether our system operates the way it should has absolutely nothing to do with doffing one's cap to a flag, hand on heart, and singing anthems. I seriously suspect the intelligence of people who are hypersensitive about it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Whether our system operates the way it should has absolutely nothing to do with doffing one's cap to a flag, hand on heart, and singing anthems. I seriously suspect the intelligence of people who are hypersensitive about it.
With respect, you are completely wrong.

Respect is the foundation of modern society.

Respect for your neighbor. Respect for the law. Respect for society. Respect for your country.

Without respect, there is no society.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014

Respect for your neighbor. Respect for the law. Respect for society. Respect for your country.

We're pretty much there. Been sliding down hill since the early 1990's when the definition of "is" was called into question. This country is becoming a **** show.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off

Respect is the ability to disagree with someone without calling them a traitor. We are not sheep draped in the stars and stripes. If our flag represents a democratic republic with the rights enshrined in law, then that flag also represents the right - even the duty - of civil dissent. The moment people forget that, all the patriotic rituals become blind nationalism.

Your patriotism is not tested when everyone sings to the flag together and watches jets fly past. Your patriotism is tested when you are forced to reevaluate your own opinions through reasoned debate with those who disagree with you or question some of your most closely held assumptions. Engagement is respect. Suppression and censure is not. That is how we grow and persevere as a nation.

Snoopy4 said:
We're pretty much there. Been sliding down hill since the early 1990's when the definition of "is" was called into question. This country is becoming a **** show.
Apparently The Civil War, several presidential assassinations, Jim Crow, the internment of the Japanese during WWII and Watergate pale in comparison to the shocking abuse of the word "is" when it comes to moral failings among the populace. Either you don't read history or have an unhealthy fascination with semantics.

Last edited:

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
Apparently The Civil War, several presidential assassinations, Jim Crow, the internment of the Japanese during WWII and Watergate pale in comparison to the shocking abuse of the word "is" when it comes to moral failings among the populace. Either you don't read history or have an unhealthy fascination with semantics.
Through all of what you mentioned, society still had a moral compass. People knew things were wrong. It's unfortunate that you didn't comprehend that salient point.