Notre Dame students plan walkout during Pence speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Heaven forbid these snowflakes ever have to hear someone they don't like.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The sad thing is that although I consider Pence as one of our sinister Republicans leaders whose values are screwed up, I still view him as normal compared to Supreme Leader. I'd prefer not see him as President either, but at least I would not be suffering panic attacks. ;)

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

They are going to miss an electrifying speech.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

Pence is giving someone the chair?

6. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

What panic attacks? They are protesting his actions while he was governor and, I would guess, his support of Trump. They aren't burning anything or causing a ruckus. They are going to silently rise and leave the room as a sign of protest. They could just as easily boo him, and disrupt the event in an uncivil fashion or be truly disruptive. I support these folks and their method of protest. I had to live under that douche bag when he was governor. He was an embarrassment to the whole state and cost us millions with his Dominionist idiocy. This isn't just a matter of people not wanting to hear what he has to say. It's a protest of his reprehensible actions.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    The man's a terrible public speaker.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I think it's wrong. They should've done something like turned their back to Pence for the first ten minutes or so; but always listen to the other side, especially if you're at a respected university.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's a double edge sword. I agree people can be silly about listening to others they don't like but at the same time freedom of speech works both ways and they have the right to walk out as a matter of protest.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

To make sure that there is no disruption, like SS misinterpreting what is happening. I think it's a good move by the protestor, and quite smart in its way.

11. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

It's 50-100 people, I am interested to see how many actually walked out and if anyone really cared they left?

12. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Why listen to someone when you've lived through their reign as idiot in chief of your state? They got to see the damage the moron did to our state while he was in office. There's literally nothing the dolt could say that they haven't already heard and contrasted with his actions.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because no matter how much you despise the guy, he represents an office AND listening to other people's points of view is always beneficial. Pence has been invited by the University as the Vice President. They can respect both the University and the Vice President by listening like adults do.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

meh, sounds peaceful so by all means have at it.

15. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Civil protest is a time honoured tradition and I support the grads choice to protest Pence for his actions. I don't care what job he currently has, it doesn't trump their right to free speech.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am not against the protest itself, I am glad they're doing something peacful and that they told everyone about it in advance. I am simply saying that leaving while you can protest and listen at the same time is not the best of choices.
    Have you ever been in a work meeting (or worse, a regularly scheduled one!) in which someone with a slightly higher job description than yours gives a presentation, and you know that half of what the guy says is bull mixed to hot air, plus the guy is also a jerk? Did you walk out?

17. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Apples and oranges. These students are not employees of any company which Pence is a part of. He is a crumby politician. They are exercising their right to protest at a public function to show the tool that he doesn't have a rapt audience for his speech. They are under no social or work obligation to listen to him and his canned speech.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

The children are trying to be relevant.

19. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

They are relevant. That graduation ceremony is THEIR day, not Pope Pence's. They can make whatever statement they choose. He's the guest in THEIR house.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fair enough

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They're part of the university that invited him, and they're part of the society, and they are supposed to be the promoters of exchanges of ideas. The invitee holds the second office in the country and is the president of the Senate.
    How can you disagree with someone if you don't listen?!

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is this thing called the news, and his other thing called the internet that let you know what prominent people believe without having to listen to them in person. You can see their track record and know that you disagree with them.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Ok this is the oddest counter argument...

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Lol, I see someone buys into exaggerated self importance. That's such a healthy trait to encourage. This group is not relevant.

25. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Because they've already heard everything he has to say on the matters which they are protesting. He's already spoken his fill in trying to defend the indefensible.