Now a year later, are you still happy you chose a GOLD iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillytim, Sep 2, 2014.

1. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Do you love the color and happy you went for the gold or do you now regret riding the hype and skirmish to get your hands on a gold 5S?

The hype sure had me debating getting a gold 5S, and I almost chose one when I could actually get one in the midst of the mad buying rush.

But I went with my initial gut instinct to get a silver 5S, and love it no less than the day I got my hands on the silver!

2. eggas, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

eggas macrumors newbie

My wife has silver and I picked gold. I still to this day compare them side-by-side occasionally and not once have I had envy towards the silver. So yes I'm really happy that I went with gold. When we had iPhone 4s, I envied her black (I had white) all the time :)

3. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I have both a gold that I got in the first wave of online orders, and a silver that I got months later. I do like the gold (the back especially), although it's a bit blingy. Especially the gold ring around the home button is a little too gold shiny, lol. Once I got the silver (which I thought would be boring), I was pleasantly surprised at how classy it looked with the matte finish on the sides. I guess it depends on what you like. I get more comments when I'm carrying the gold one, but I think the silver is in better taste, if that makes any sense.

4. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Interesting to read these thoughts. I'm debating between gold and silver, if the rumored colors are accurate. I sort of would like to try the gold this time, but haven't seen enough of the gold 5S in person to totally judge.

5. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

I went with the silver 5s and have sort of regretted it the whole time. Def going with the gold 6!

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Actually glad I skipped the 5s and just about to buy the 6. It won't be gold. I think it looks tacky. I like the black best of all.

7. eggas macrumors newbie

Well the 5s gold is pretty mild, its not very blingy. Go check it out in store/somewhere, you'll know what I mean. Many people have actually thought that my gold is the silver one.. Will be interesting to see, if the iPhone 6 gold looks the same than gold 5s.

8. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

My gold 5S is in very good shape, no scratches or dings on the bezels...or anywhere. Still reflects the lights off the gold polished parts like the liquid gold Apple commercial.

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I think silver looks the worst. I decided between gold and black last year and am glad I didn't choose gold though.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I like black, too. Just wish they had REAL black, not the stupid "space grey" :(

:apple:

11. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

I like the gold 5s
    I have had also the 5 in silver...
    But for the i6 ( the 5.5 variant for me) the gold is too redundant... I mean, no interruption like the chamfered edges in the 5s....
    On the other hand I'm very curious to see a gold ipad!
    The biggest problem for me with the gold one is that combining case colours with the phone is not simple....
    I usually use sleeves and for this model I bought a leather one ( handmade, black on the external, beige on the internal) wich is very good, but a little bit formal in these colours... I mean on my black iPad Air the green smart cover looks great!
    Long story short for me the next iphone is grey! Maybe with a good neon colour cover!
    P.S. If you have a moment check MBCASES for the case... No income from there, but very good products ;)

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would have bought a black one if it was actually black not space grey.

13. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

I really want the gold iPhone 6. My sister has the gold 5S and in the light or in sunshine it is so bright that you can't see the difference between the silver model except that gold has the little extra :cool:

14. Altis macrumors 68020

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

im rockin the gold/champagne.. I love it but I think it's time for a black face. wish they make black face and gold back.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

I almost picked up the gold 5S the other day, but instead chose the black on. The ring around the touch ID looks best on the white iPhone, though. I chose black because I watch YouTube a lot on my phone...just looks better on a black iPhone.

17. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

My first choice was Space Gray, as it wasn't available, I went with gold. I'm happy I did. It has really grown on me, and I consider it to be the best color for the 5S. I haven't been this happy with an iPhone since my first, the 3GS.

For the iPhone 6, I will definitely be going with Space Gray however. :)

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Yes, I still like my gold iPhone 5S. I switch between black and white each time to change it up, though.

19. DerekS macrumors 6502

I bought gold and do not plan to do it again.

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Yep. I still like it. I have a case on 99% of the time so I really only see the ring around the fingerprint sensor, but I have no regrets about getting the gold.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Exactly.

I am more iffy about the white face of it than it being gold. The gold is very muted and works very well with my jeans.

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Love my Gold 5s. Debating going to black for the 6. The black front looks very sleek with the rounded edges. Have to wait and see what the final product design really is with the band/colors and such.

23. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I had black on the following models

2g
    3g
    3gs

Then on the 4s i switched to white...it definitely made something that was starting to feel stale a little more lifelike since the phone was getting stale itself. I then had the same white on the iphone 5. I had planned on sticking with the white with the gold version of the iphone 5s and did get one, actually twice i got one after a couple swip/swaps after leaving Verizon, then going back for like 2 days, then finally going back to AT&T...on the 3rd and final time i ended up getting a black.

The big differences...

1. fingerprints..you rarely notice on them on the white/gold models, on the black they are everywhere on the screen..The white background definitely mask them.

2. The balck hides the hideously huge bezels on the side much better, forgot how much until i switched back to black.

3. Black looks better at night, white looks better during the day...Same thing they say with backround colors on HDTV's...your better off having a backround color matching what is on the screen, this is kind of why during the day looking at a white iphone blends in better than a black, during the night its the opposte.

With the iphone 6, if the design stands as we think it will with the huge cell breaks, then i will probably stick with black. If the phone looks like the chinese promo leak then i will go gold.

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I got the gold and still enjoy it. I don't use anything more than a simple bumper on it and not s scratch to date.

All the choices were attractive. I've always had black in the past and my g3 is black. So gold was a bit of variety in my arsenal. :)

25. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Have always owned white iPhones since the 4s. For my 5s I first started with black then returned for white. Recently my wife decided to leave iphone and get a galaxy s5. Btw she's very happy with it. Anyways she gave me her gold 5s and I sold the white 5s. The gold is nice. But based on the i6 leaks lately the gold version looks very very tacky while the black one looks very very nice. I'm 95% sold on getting the i6 in black. Once I do...the unlocked 32gb gold 5s will be sold.