Now everything is clear to me: I know when the new MBPs are coming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chronocento, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Chronocento macrumors newbie

Chronocento

Hello folks, it's my first post here, even if I've been following this forum for (at least) 3 years :)
    Considering all the disappointed people that, like me, were hoping for a MacBook Pro upgrade today, I started to think about when the next update will be.

The illumination came while I was watching the keynote streaming, after having read all the new features of the MacBook Air, especially the multitouch trackpad.

Jobs said that the SDK for the iPhone/iPod Touch is coming in february, but now that the Air is here with his "multitouchpad", how are programmers supposed to integrate this features in their app?The reply came by itself: the SDK that is coming will integrate libraries also for the multitouch trackpads that every mac will slowly, but surely, get.

So, what will be better than announcing the SDK alongside a new MacBook Pro with multitouch?

I know that this is pure speculation, but from what I've understood, this forum relies on this, isn't it?:p

2. Queso macrumors G4

I suspect the new MBPs will be based on the mobile Penryn processor from Intel, which is due to start shipping from next week. Moving the line to 45nm will resolve a lot if not all of the heat issues that have plagued the line.

So I agree sometime in February is very likely, but for different reasons.

3. Chronocento thread starter macrumors newbie

Chronocento

I agree that they are also waiting for a stock of Penryns, but I also think that if Jobs really wanted to announce the (hopefully) "new" MacBook Pro today, he could have made an agreement with Intel for some kind of priority (after all, Intel custom built the processor of the Air, so their relationship is quite tight), but he didn't because he wanted all the attention of the media on the Air.

I just wanted to say that the next event where he can announce the MBP (a computer for "Professionals", in theory), could coincide with the announcement of the SDK (that is aimed to be a "professional" thing).

By the way, sorry if there are errors: I'm not english nor american, so my sentences could be a mess to understand :eek:

4. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

So, does anyone think this will affect the MB's in any way (price, CPU, anything?), the MBP update I mean...?

Me wants LED-backlights!

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Mobile Penryn processors retain a Thermal Design Power of 35 Watt.

Which is the same as the mobile Merom used in the entire iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro line.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

That's pretty interesting. Here's to hoping you're right. Also, I read this on another thread:

Interesting...

7. esvee macrumors member

I'm going to take this as gospel, just because it makes me feel better. Well, that and because it makes sense. Thanks for this potentially good news :cool:

8. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Chip and GPU refresh in the next 4-6 weeks, redesign in the fall. Expect nothing more fancy than that. But dare to dream :D

9. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I can only hope you're right my friend, I can only hope you're right...

10. schreck macrumors regular

Your English is brilliant, better than some native English-speaking forum members, I'm sure.

11. CommodityFetish macrumors regular

CommodityFetish

12. esvee macrumors member

why does that site say 9 months 5 weeks, instead of 10 months 1 week, and 7 months 4 weeks instead of 8 months? :p

13. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I was gonna say. I doubt Apple will wait long before dropping penryn in the MBP and iMac. Hopefully the MB and mini will see some love too.;)

I don't see the relationship between the iPhone SDK and the multi-touch trackpad. The SDK has nothing to do with multi-touch, it's simply a kit for app development (implied in the name). The multi-touch trackpad is simply the implementation of additional input methods on a trackpad.

14. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hopefully soon

With the update to the MBP line overdue, I'm thinking there'll be a refresh very soon--though as some have mentioned, probably 14 days after the Air's release date. Frankly, there isn't very much differentiation from the MB line with the processors creeping closer together and the ability to max out the ram to 4 gigs and bigger low end hard drives. Also, Apple can't afford to not put in the Penryn chips if they're going to be compared to equivalent high end PC laptops.

Now my question is what's the deal with Montevina? Besides Wimax, I haven't heard of any new features or performance boosts. If it's substantial, maybe Apple will forgo a silent update and hold out for another half year. But that'd be pretty piss-poor.

15. Chronocento thread starter macrumors newbie

Chronocento

Of course I'm not saying that you will write apps for the new multitouch Macs with the iPhone SDK, but that maybe they can also announce some libraries for Xcode and, while they are there, update the MBP with this technology :)

But now, after a good night of sleep, I can say that, as others said, in february we will see just a speed bump: I've read on the wikipedia that the Montevina platform will occupy just the 60% of volume, compared to Santa Rosa. So, if we see "just" an upgrade in february, we should wait at least 6 months (so around august) for a complete redesign (including the multitouch interface) :(

At this point I'm hoping that they will wait until the WWDC to announce the redesign :-|

16. ibizarocks macrumors regular

Is anyone else having doubts and starting to think that they may end up waiting until august time to see what happens if there isn't a re-design in feb???

I've been waiting to get a mac since september and I'm thinking now that i'd be pretty pissed if i bought a mac in feb for it only to be completley changed in 6 months.

I'm personally hoping that the mbp wasn't announced at macworld as they are planning a new case design for the next update. Seriously why wouldn't jobs announce penryn at macworld??? people who want air will buy air and those that want a mbp will buy that. The two products target 2 completley different audiences. He could have announced it with shipping in 2-6 weeks or something like that. An announcement of a case redesign for the mbp would steal some media attention from air but a simple refresh I doubt would do much harm to that.

17. tiamat1990 macrumors member

I know mate. LED and a backlit keyboard on the Macbook and you have yourself a beast of a laptop (even with the same speeds which argurably are pretty damn fast already).

18. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Sounds like a MacBook Air to me!

Hah... Mini's not even "Santa Rosa" yet. It's using Late 2006 MacBook parts!

Don't expect a redesign before August anyway - Montevina will need one, lots more than Penryn would.

Here's a strategy: All those fence sitters waiting for a MBP announcement on the 15th instead see the MacBook Air and finally give up on waiting, plump for a 2.4 or 2.6 MBP seeing no chance for update on the horizon. A few $100,000 in the bank they wouldn't have got out of that stock if they'd announced Penryn.

4 to 6 weeks from now, long after the expiry of the 14-day cool-off exchange period, Penryns arrive. ;)