Now, I know what you're thinking...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Airport Screeners Miss Bomb Parts
    You're thinking, here comes another rant about what we all already know. But here's my twist: read the last sentence of the quote again. Investigators bought bombs for $150 on the internet and sneaked them onto planes. It's that easy and cheap to make a bomb. It's that easy to get it on a plane.

Now, the tone of the article would have you believe that this means we could all die horrific, painful deaths at any second. I think that, in fact, this proves the opposite. If it's so easy, so cheap, and we are surrounded by enemies so insane and insidious that they would take any chance to destroy our freedoms and kill us, why haven't they!?

Because it's not that big a deal. There really aren't that many crazed "islamo-facists" out there trying to kill us. It's actually hard to convince someone to blow themselves up, even for 72 virgins. They'd rather get on with their lives, without interference.

Of course, our President does his best to convince our "enemies" (ie; people who just want to live their lives without being exploited or blown up) that we really are as terrible as those few real demented bastards make us out to be.

I'm sorry that I'm probably articulating something everyone's already figured out. I just wanted to put it down in words. Upshot: People really don't want to **** with us, particularly if we don't **** with them first. We should stop ****ing around.

Oh, and airport security is useless and going to get worse.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Wow finally someone realizes it. If terrorists really wanted to attack us again they already would have, all of our security measures are just an inconvenience for law-abiding passengers and easily bypassed if someone really wants to. I totally agree that there are not that many people, most of the Muslims I think listen more to the parts of the Koran about peace, and not the parts, if they are even there (I haven't read the Koran), about holy wars and killing.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd like to know the details of this particular story. Were these actual working devices, or merely components made to appear as a device?

In 2006, a USA today article reported that TSA failed to ideabout 60% of the time.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You should post more of the article because it kinda answers some of the questions you pose. For one, the government investigators aren't getting on a plane with the intent to cause damage. Someone who intends to do people harm would probably be clearly nervous whereas the goverment investigators were not. The outward demeanor of the perpetrator is just one thing to raise a warning.

I'm not down playing the importance of the article because it is very bad that someone was able to get these items, liquid explosives and detonators, past security. The Richard Reid's of the world will hopefully be deterred by the consequences of their actions and possibly the appearance of the security already in place.

The "islamo-fascists" you speak of, the dangerous ones, the people who would want to bring down an airplane or building, aren't so stupid as to start a fire on a plane, cause some panic, then spend the rest of their lives in Supermax. These people are calculating, intelligent, and patient. Are we surrounded by them and around every corner, no. Do they represent the majority of muslims out in the world, no. Do they even exist? Yes.

Can you elaborate? :)

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is a very good point, there's too much temptation to flip out at every given opportunity or just pretend that there's no danger at all. Rather we need a measured response that takes into account likely scenarios and doesn't just plug all the holes Al Qaeda has already exploited as they're certainly looking for other vulnerabilities.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I see your point, Thanatoast, but I would disagree somewhat on this one. Al-Qaeda is very patient. They plan things literally years in advance. So the fact that something like this hasn't happened yet may not mean that it's hard for them to recruit suicidal fanatics; it may simply mean that they're not ready yet.

And don't forget, there was that foiled plot to blow up several airliners over the Atlantic a year or two ago.

I'm not saying the threat isn't sometimes overstated; but it could happen at any time.

Maybe I just feel a little more alarmed than you do because I've just finished reading Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies". Clarke, who was a counter-terrorism expert under Reagan, Bush I and Clinton, paints a pretty bleak picture of how both how relentless and patient our enemies are, and how our security continues to have major holes.

Again, I'm not saying the government sometimes doesn't panic us more than it needs to; it's just that we have to strike a proper balance between living in constant fear and denying that anything is likely to happen.

It'd help it Bush wasn't running a gigantic Terrorist Recruitment Center over there in Iraq.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Apparently the threat is in baby booties. They made me take off my three month old sons shoes last time I went through security :rolleyes: Damn things are just thick socks! Security is a joke in the airports right now.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

And, this is just part of the problem, while the TSA plays security theater with baby booties they may be missing the actual attack. Of course, this assumes that Al Qaeda is going for the airlines again, they may be aiming for an entirely different target instead.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I recently walked through airport security with a lighter in my pocket. Nobody said a word. Airport security is pathetic.

10. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Well, lighters are now allowed so that's probably why ;)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just looked it up. It was August 4th that they were allowed. So- you're right.

12. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

While "protecting our interests" we keep making new enemies. And not just of governments, but of people. We screwed Egypt and Iran in the 50's, then when in '79 Iran turned on us we backed Iraq throughout the 80's. We supported repressive regimes for our short term interests which ended up turning against us. We've now got occupying armies in Afghanistan and Iraq, which admittedly were terrible places to begin with, but now rather than being pissed at their own governments they're pissed at us. We keep poking anthills with sticks. We need to stop.

Why wait? What's the strategic advantage? Shoot, any nutjob with a 'net connection could make and plant a bomb in a mall. It's easy. Too easy, if you're actually trying. And if they did it, imagine the harm to the economy and society. Three trashcan bombs in three popular malls could shut down a not inconsiderable portion of retail business. And when it came back up we'd all have to have our backpacks checked just to get into the food court.

You can think I'm dismissing viable threats out of hand, but the reason I'm dismissing them is because they're more than viable, they're obvious and easy. If they haven't happened it's because it can't really be that much of a problem.

I'm tired of living in this paranoid country. People need to chill the **** out, on the personal, political and international level. Stop ****ing with people and just live our lives and let others live theirs.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

They may be waiting for a particular date -- several plots were uncovered prior to the millenium -- or they may feel the risk is too high at one time but not another, same as any other criminal.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Now, I know what you're thinking...

Sorry, wasn't thinking airport security...

However, I was thinking. "I hope it isn't another picture of Bill O'Reilly in a thong"

---

Though airport security tends to look at what has happened in the past, and sucks at forward thinking.

If you are going to bring down a plane, you don't even have to get on it. Just use the trusted shipper security holes to sneak cargo into the planes belly. The cargo gets far less scrutiny than the people and their luggage.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Another picture??? Please tell me there isn't a "first" picture of that horrifying image...

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course there are real threats. But no, we aren't really being protected against them as much as we should be. Look at how long it took to get the 9/11 Commission's recommendation even passed, let alone implemented (still aren't completely BTW). But they want to look good. They want to pretend you're safe while reminding you that you aren't.

The fact that tourists from other countries aren't coming here as often, which is hurting the tourism industry, makes no difference apparently, as it's just another causality to those who don't really care who's actually being hurt by this (and it ain't terrorists).

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Think about this for a minute:

We're allowed to bring lighters containing explosives on a plane, but not a bottle of water. :confused:

Yeah, I don't get it either.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well it's obvious that that bottle could contain explosives. We know the lighter has explosives. Makes perfect sense. Same reason you can't have nail clippers or toothpaste. Makes absolutely, perfect, sense.

Unless you're some kind of (cue spooky music) TERRORIST! :eek:

:p

19. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Oh, don't even mention that....Pisses me off every time I take a flight with my boy and I have to buy a $3 bottle of water after I go through security.