Now on my 3rd set of Apple headphones! Any advice for replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blinkie, Jan 5, 2011.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

So they broke again! The Apple Store must be used to replacing their own headphones by now because they don't even test mine to check they're broken anymore.

Does anyone have any recommendations for, 'reasonably priced' iphone4 compatible headphones?

I was hoping for something around £40-50. And they must have the remote mic with volume and pause button. I suppose I'd also prefer over-ear to in-ear but that's not so important. I've been looking at Urbanears, but their remote doesn't have volume control.

Another option I thought might be good but have been unable to find is an in-line remote (with the above functions) that I can plug any headphones into. Does anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks for your time and Happy New Year,
    B

2. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the bump.

I found these Philips SHH 9506. Does anyone here have any experience of them or a similar suggestion?

no more bumps, promise.

b

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Stop buying Apple headphones. I think they suck compared to what you pay for them.

If you want some inexpensive, OK headphones then look into SkullCandy. Most of them can be found online for pretty cheap and are pretty good as far as sound quality.

If you want to pony up a little more money then check out these Monster Turbines from Amazon. I realize they're quite expensive now however, from time to time, they do drastically cut down the prices for these to as low as $60 which is what I paid for them.

Oh, wait, just saw that you were looking for over-the-ear ones with inline controls. These aren't it.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Check these inner ears out, OP. Klipsch S4i or Klipsch S2m

Alternatively, get a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros and this little doohicky and VOILA! all your needs met :)

5. TapHappy macrumors regular

Yeah had the same problem. Bought a case to store my ear buds in. There a a few out there, but I settled on one called budcase. Check out my review :)

6. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I think the Apple supplied headphones work fine, but I would never buy a pair of them. I know mine will eventually break or I will lose them so I've been keeping my eyes (and ears) open for a 3rd party alternative. The Klipsch models suggested above look nice.

7. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Don't worry, I've not being paying for the replacements. The Apple Store guys just give them to me when I bring in my broken ones.
    I did just find what I thought were the perfect headphones (perfect for my needs that is) Urbanears Plattan Plus! But, aarrgghhh, they're only for sale in Apple Stores in North America. Not even online. That's a european company. I'm a european. I want the headphones too. :(

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I have the klispsh s4 (again after I got tired of replacing my apple earphones), and it works well. Theres buttons on the mike for the play, pause, skip, etc... And the sound is great. It has excellent reviews online for the price range as well :)

9. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I'm starting to think that these might be the ones. Do they have a volume control?

Incase anyone else is wondering about the Urbanears Plattan Plus I wrote to them in Sweden and they were very vague about them being sold anywhere but North American Apple Stores. I'm not going to hold my breath. Pity.

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

yeah they have a three button setup like the stock iphones. they are my second in ear type of earphones. my first one was skull candy and it was not too comfortable. these klipsc actually are comfortable to wear.

11. SR Steve macrumors member

That fact, along with the stellar reviews convinced me to get a pair. I used them for the first time this morning and am impressed...still figuring out the proper size tip and reconfiguring my itunes eqaulizer to maximize the sound... :)

12. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Sennheiser PX 200-IIi

Thanks for all your advice. I considered some of the recommended in-ear phones but in the end I've gone for an on-ear headphone. I don't know how I missed this but it seems that Sennheiser have been adapting some of their range to accommodate a full iphone remote. They add an 'i' to the end of the product name to differentiate this from previous models. I've just ordered the PX 200-IIi for £54 from amazon and I write a wee review here after I've used them.
    Thanks again for your advice and opinions.

13. hannahrose macrumors newbie

hannahrose

Personally, any headphone is better than the Apple ones....

14. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Sennheiser PX 200-IIi

I've had these on-ear headphones for a few weeks now and I've been listening to them a lot, almost every day.
    To my ears the sound quality is clear and crisp, the balance of the sound seems neutral, with no overtly strong bass or treble. At first the bass did seem a bit restricted but in the last ten or so days I've notices a 'loosening' of the sound and I'm very happy with the balance as it is. I wouldn't recommend these to someone looking for big bass though.
    Physically I find them very comfortable and can wear them for five hours at a time without any discomfort, the padding against the ear is very soft and offers a surprising amount of physical noise cancelling. I was a little concerned at first with the strength of the folding mechanisms. But so far I've had no problems, each joint remains secure. And I do like how solid the headphones feel when folded up. It gives me confidence that they won't break in my bag.
    The cable is a very good length, slightly longer that the stock Apple ones. The plastic coating on the cable is smooth and slippy so doesn't pull against my clothing under my jacket. The jack plug has a thin casing that fits through an Apple Bumper case.
    The inline remote has the three button and mic functions of the Apple headphones but is not as easy to use. The design of the buttons makes it more difficult to know where you're pressing when not looking and there isn't much of a satisfying 'click' to tell you that you have pressed the button. It's most apparent when trying a more complicated command like to skip back a track (three clicks). I can't do this with any certainty on this remote.

15. deweyjohnson macrumors newbie

good to know you feel good when using Sennheiser PX 200-IIi. for me, i might prefer to use in-ear headphones, with mic and volume control, of course, for they are relatively conveniently to carry.