Now That AT&T LTE is Going Live...Any Word on Grandfathered Data Plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Oct 31, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Basically, will customers who are grandfathered into unlimited data plan be able to upgrade to LTE plans and keep unlimited? Now that AT&T has officially announced their LTE deployment, has there been any word on this?

2. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I just got back from the AT&T store near my work and ask the exact question. The rep said that if I went with the new Samsung Galaxy SII w/LTE that my plan would be grandfathered as it has in the past. I'll be picking it up this Sunday.

On a side note, I love my iPhone and have had each one since the 2G, but opted to pass on 4S due to same 3.5" screen. The screen itself is awesome; it's the size of said screen that just irritates the hell out of me why Apple did not address this with the 4S. It's really is disappointing that Apple does not give the consumer a choice. If you look at the numerous polls posted on Macrumours addressing the topic of screen size, it's abundantly clear the demand is there. Is profit margin one of Apple's biggest concerns? Sure making a phone with a bigger screen would dig into their current margins. By my count that would require an additional 6 types (Blk/Wht-16gb/32gb/64gb). Anyway I guess it's just an excuse (itch) to try Android for a year. Will I be 100% happy? I most assuredly will not. But I’m taking the plunge nonetheless.

I fully expect to be back with the good guys for iPhone 5. That is as long as the screen is at least 4". :rolleyes:

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I'm not sure you can consider a demand that is "abundantly clear" when there are millions of iPhone owners, and a very small fraction of those users post here on MacRumors. Most people I know who own an iPhone, don't post here. Forums like this are meeting places for like minded "geeks" who love this sort of thing, possibly more then most, and we care about details more then the majority. It's impossible to judge the possible opinion of millions of normal consumers, based on polls of a couple hundred on a specialized site.

I also know people with larger screen phones, who dislike it, or have traded up to an iPhone because it very difficult to use with one hand, when your thumb doesn't reach across the entire screen.

Just my opinion.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The data plans for the new GS2 and HTC Vivid are the same as they are now so that leads me to think that unlimited plans will be grandfathered in.

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I hope not. They can't keep unlimited forever. The LTE transition would be the perfect time for AT&T to get rid of the old unlimited plan.

6. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Why do you hope unlimited plans aren't grandfathered?