Now that AT&T will unlock my phone, can I downgrade...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deadzeta, May 23, 2012.

1. deadzeta macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I searched the forums for the answer but I couldn't find it anywhere. So hopefully I'm not the millionth person to ask the same question. I also searched the web for a possibility and I'm getting mixed results. I'm sure many people are wondering about the same thing.

I have originally JB and unlocked my 3GS using the 06.15.00 ipad baseband and 4.2.1 IOS. I have used the phone for a couple of years, everything working including GPS. It still works and there is nothing wrong with it.

But since AT&T will unlock out of contract phones, I'm wondering if I could downgrade from the 06.15.00 to whatever, and then do a restore to factory settings and get them to unlock it for me. They unlocked my wife's phone which she never JB. This way I can get it back to "normal" and update the phone like a normal human being.

Some sites suggest that I could downgrade to something else then do a restore, but others say that once you do ipad baseband, you can never EVER go back to normal factory setting.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is correct.
    Even if you get an official unlock from AT&T you cannot downgrade your baseband back to a stock one since you installed the ipad bb.
    So basicly getting it factory unlocked is pointless and wont make any difference.
    You will still need ultrasnow and a custom JB ipsw in order to use the phone and offcourse your gps functionality is gone.

3. NiftyMac macrumors newbie

As you already stated, you can NOT downgrade/replace the iPad's baseband. At least not yet..

4. deadzeta thread starter macrumors newbie

But the GPS on my phone is fine, putting the ipad base band didn't stop GPS from working. Like I said, the phone is working totally fine with the ipad BB.

I was just wondering if i can "undo" it. Otherwise, I can just stick with what I have.

----------

Great... Now that AT&T unlocks them, I doubt anyone will try to make a fix to downgrade or replace the ipads BB.....

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Hate to be "that guy", but it was made well known the consequences of using the iPad baseband before it was used.

6. deadzeta thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries. I was aware of it before I did it, I was just hoping that technology kept going forward, and a solution was out by now.

But thanks for the clarification.

But is there any hope or any reason that a fix could be in the works?

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Doubtful 3GS is now 3 gens back soon to be four. Downgrading a baseband is a difficult task. This is why the Dev-team Emphasized it was permanent.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't see it happening either. Never say never but chances are very slim.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What you see is cell tower triangulation.
    Download a true GPS app from AppStore, it will fail upon launch

10. conartist4u macrumors regular

conartist4u

why downgrade when you are perfectly fine unlocked?

purpose is served and all you need is to wait for sn0wbreeze and updated version of Ultrasnow fix. save shsh along the way whenever possible.

The idea of an unlock is only beneficial to those who actually need it so OP relax and go with flow.

btw you Can downgrade using your baseband chip from eBay. would'nt recommend it though as you need to be good with a soldering tool.

11. BlueRaider macrumors regular

Haven't there been reports of 3GS's with iPad Baseband's that didn't lose GPS functionality? I know about the cellular triangulation fix the dev team pushed a while back but I had heard prior that some phones were unaffected by the iPad baseband.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's correct.
    Most iPhones lose the gps use with the ipad bb installation but a very small percent of them seems unaffected.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I have to disagree. The iPad baseband breaks the functionality, so it cannot possibly work.

Their is a really nerdy technical explanation posted online somewhere that documents the exact cause of the failure, but I don't recall where I read it.

For everyone who claims their GPS still works, I have challenged all with DL a true GPS app. Not one has replied that their phone was indeed able to run the app. Which makes sense, since electronics is a defined science, what is broken cannot work for a few people.

14. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

You can always hope.:rolleyes: