Now that AT&T will unlock my phone, can I downgrade...

deadzeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Dear All,

I searched the forums for the answer but I couldn't find it anywhere. So hopefully I'm not the millionth person to ask the same question. I also searched the web for a possibility and I'm getting mixed results. I'm sure many people are wondering about the same thing.

I have originally JB and unlocked my 3GS using the 06.15.00 ipad baseband and 4.2.1 IOS. I have used the phone for a couple of years, everything working including GPS. It still works and there is nothing wrong with it.

But since AT&T will unlock out of contract phones, I'm wondering if I could downgrade from the 06.15.00 to whatever, and then do a restore to factory settings and get them to unlock it for me. They unlocked my wife's phone which she never JB. This way I can get it back to "normal" and update the phone like a normal human being.

Some sites suggest that I could downgrade to something else then do a restore, but others say that once you do ipad baseband, you can never EVER go back to normal factory setting.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Dear All,

..but others say that once you do ipad baseband, you can never EVER go back to normal factory setting.
That is correct.
Even if you get an official unlock from AT&T you cannot downgrade your baseband back to a stock one since you installed the ipad bb.
So basicly getting it factory unlocked is pointless and wont make any difference.
You will still need ultrasnow and a custom JB ipsw in order to use the phone and offcourse your gps functionality is gone.

Comment

deadzeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
You will still need ultrasnow and a custom JB ipsw in order to use the phone and offcourse your gps functionality is gone.
But the GPS on my phone is fine, putting the ipad base band didn't stop GPS from working. Like I said, the phone is working totally fine with the ipad BB.

I was just wondering if i can "undo" it. Otherwise, I can just stick with what I have.

----------

As you already stated, you can NOT downgrade/replace the iPad's baseband. At least not yet..
Great... Now that AT&T unlocks them, I doubt anyone will try to make a fix to downgrade or replace the ipads BB.....

Comment

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
But the GPS on my phone is fine, putting the ipad base band didn't stop GPS from working. Like I said, the phone is working totally fine with the ipad BB.

I was just wondering if i can "undo" it. Otherwise, I can just stick with what I have.

----------

Great... Now that AT&T unlocks them, I doubt anyone will try to make a fix to downgrade or replace the ipads BB.....
Hate to be "that guy", but it was made well known the consequences of using the iPad baseband before it was used.

Comment

deadzeta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Hate to be "that guy", but it was made well known the consequences of using the iPad baseband before it was used.
No worries. I was aware of it before I did it, I was just hoping that technology kept going forward, and a solution was out by now.

But thanks for the clarification.

But is there any hope or any reason that a fix could be in the works?

Comment

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
No worries. I was aware of it before I did it, I was just hoping that technology kept going forward, and a solution was out by now.

But thanks for the clarification.

But is there any hope or any reason that a fix could be in the works?
Doubtful 3GS is now 3 gens back soon to be four. Downgrading a baseband is a difficult task. This is why the Dev-team Emphasized it was permanent.

Comment

conartist4u

macrumors regular
May 4, 2012
Lima Peru
why downgrade when you are perfectly fine unlocked?

purpose is served and all you need is to wait for sn0wbreeze and updated version of Ultrasnow fix. save shsh along the way whenever possible.

The idea of an unlock is only beneficial to those who actually need it so OP relax and go with flow.

btw you Can downgrade using your baseband chip from eBay. would'nt recommend it though as you need to be good with a soldering tool.

Comment

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Haven't there been reports of 3GS's with iPad Baseband's that didn't lose GPS functionality? I know about the cellular triangulation fix the dev team pushed a while back but I had heard prior that some phones were unaffected by the iPad baseband.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Haven't there been reports of 3GS's with iPad Baseband's that didn't lose GPS functionality? I know about the cellular triangulation fix the dev team pushed a while back but I had heard prior that some phones were unaffected by the iPad baseband.
That's correct.
Most iPhones lose the gps use with the ipad bb installation but a very small percent of them seems unaffected.

Comment

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
That's correct.
Most iPhones lose the gps use with the ipad bb installation but a very small percent of them seems unaffected.
I have to disagree. The iPad baseband breaks the functionality, so it cannot possibly work.

Their is a really nerdy technical explanation posted online somewhere that documents the exact cause of the failure, but I don't recall where I read it.

For everyone who claims their GPS still works, I have challenged all with DL a true GPS app. Not one has replied that their phone was indeed able to run the app. Which makes sense, since electronics is a defined science, what is broken cannot work for a few people.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.