Now that so many carriers offer unlimited data, can we have an option to enable 100mb+ downloads?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by buckingham2015, Mar 23, 2017.

1. buckingham2015 macrumors newbie

buckingham2015

I'm really hoping that Apple is looking at adding this as an option finally. Has there been any news suggesting it might happen?

2. uandme72 macrumors 6502a

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I agree.
    If i want to use 100+ mb to get an app off wi-fi, its my prerogative. Apple doesn't always know best.

4. eddimax macrumors member

i dont understand, i am always updating my apps on iphone over 4G/LTE since its much faster (over here 220 mbs) and the only thing i get when i am downloading file over 100mb is a warning that file is over 100mb and i am on mobile data so do i want to continue yes or no ... if you click yes - you can download/update that app ... at least thats over here in europe

5. rphillipss macrumors newbie

rphillipss

It allows you to download updates that are over 100mb here in Aus, but not download apps from scratch that are over 100mb... go figure

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It doesn't tell you the update size, only the full app size, so more than likely those updates you're downloading are less than 100mb

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats because App Store is warning you that the full size of the app is over 100MB, but the update itself is a delta and therefore is probably not nearly as large as the full app size. If you were to try to download that same app from the App Store and not as an update, it wouldn't let you.

8. eddimax, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

eddimax macrumors member

Not true. Now i went to install one game from the AppStore over the mobile data (LTE).. its 131mb big, and it all went fine... here are the screenshots, if you dont belive in screenshots i can make a video too, choose whatever app you want me to install over 100mb.

Like I said before, this is NOT something Apple did, this is restriction from your mobile operator. My mobile operator (Vip - Croatia) obviously dont have such restriction like yours.

My AppStore is croatian since i am from Croatia, but you can see that Snipper 3D Assassin game is 131mb big, and i am on mobile/LTE data .. first photos are downloading, then you can see "OTVORI" wich means "OPEN" (game is installed)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GreyOS, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Could this not be due to App Thinning? Again, I think Apple only show the full app size but you will only download the stuff relevant for your particular device. That game is a universal app for iPhone and iPad.

Edit: nope it shows as 131mb in settings after downloading. I also downloaded over 4G. Running latest 10.3 beta.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, what it shows in the download page or in settings isn't necessarily what it actually downloaded as what is downloaded is typically a compressed installer and not the fully expanded/installed app.

11. eddimax macrumors member

@GreyOS

Then can you pick some app that 100% is bigger then 100mb?

i have more then 200 apps on my phone, all installed on mobile data.. didnt have any problem. Really dont know which one to choose...

Maybe Pokemon GO? i can see its 227mb? ... can you try to download that game? It always shows me "bigger then 100mb" warning on that game, but when i click on download it anyway - its on my iphone.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Not only that, but the ability to upload the photos you've taken to iCloud without getting on WiFi. Sometimes I'm on a long excursion with no access to WiFi and would love to be able to back up the photos I've taken so far in case something happens to my phone.

It should never be automatic, but having a "Synchronize iCloud Photo Library over cellular" button would be epic.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Good shout
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    Pokemon Go too big. So I think it's just that sniper game was compressed below 100mb.

Attached Files:

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Sniper is app thinned to under 100MB. On my iPhone 7+ it was a roughly an 88MB download. I downloaded it and verified it with AT&T.