All iPads Now that the iPad Air is out, does upgrading from 3 to 4 make sense?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by filmbuff, Oct 23, 2013.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Since the Air is out I expect iPad 4 refurb prices to drop on Apple's website pretty soon, or at least 3rd party sellers will probably start reducing the price.

I've currently got an iPad 3 which isn't quite dead yet - just a little slow - but it is bothering me that I only got it ~6 months ago and it's already almost obsolete. Does it make sense to upgrade to the iPad 4 for a speed boost, or get the iPad Mini Retina instead? My biggest concern with the iPad 4 is that it may be a slow dinosaur 6 months from now. Unfortunately the iPad Air is a bit too expensive for me which means the alternative is a Mini Retina.

Then there's option 3; keep my iPad 3 for another year and wait for the iPad Pro/Maxi?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

There was never any real justification of going from 3 to 4, keep what you have and wait for the iPad air 2 or iPad pro is my suggestion.

3. peteullo macrumors regular

I personally wouldn't upgrade to the 4th gen. I have owned both models and though the 4th gen is slightly more responsive, it's not worth the cost of upgrading.

The 4th gen. seems slightly sluggish on iOS7 as compared to previous versions. I'd imagine the A7 chip will smoothen things up nicely