Now That the iPhone is on Tight Lockdown, is anyone going to buy them anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 30, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think Apple is seriously hurting their sales now by locking the iPhone up really tight. Who has the incentive to buy one now that they know this information... especially since the iPod touch hasn't been hacked yet either. When we bought our iPod touch's we were under the impression that they'd be as easy to hack as the iPhone... we were wrong. Now what? Just stop buying the iPhones and iPod touch's and force Apple to allow 3rd party apps on it! We can install 3rd party Apps on Mac OS X, why can't we do it on a smaller device running a smaller Mac OS X?

2. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Yeah of course people will buy them. And there will be more apps on them. We should all just try keeping our shirts on for a change. Really!

I remember how I felt the day I saw pics of the iPhone and info about them. It was so exciting. I look at my iPhone today and it's here, real, functional. It does what it was supposed to do. I have wishlists but I'm not knocking Apple for not having them here yet. They are optional. If I had to have whatever they are, I guess I'd be looking elsewhere. I'm here with an iPhone by choice.

3. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

how many of these things are we going to have?
    do you think the vast majority of potential iPhone owners even knew the iPhone was hackable?

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

The majority of Americans thinks "hack" means "virus"

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

exactly,

and, even if, let's be generous and say, 5% of the iPhones sold to date have been hacked, that number is an overestimate of the future direction since the majority of potential hackers were probably the early adopters

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

7. decadentdave macrumors 6502

FYI-

They are now tracking bricked ipods that are brought to the Genius Bar and recording the serial numbers before handing them back and saying "Sorry, we can't help you." This policy went into effect beginning with the 1.1.1 update. Apple wants to know who is hacking their products. You have been warned.

8. stevehp macrumors 6502

I was going to buy an iPhone a week from today.

I have decided not to buy it because of the 1.1.1 update.

Sucks for me, sucks for apple.

9. donmei macrumors regular

Spaz,

That is an absolutely ridiculous question. You see, there are 3 kinds of users. Apple has decided to screw 1 kind. I'll explain

Group 1: Normal people. They understand what the iphone will and will not do. They use it within the limits of the user agreement. They overall have a very nice experience, since its a very nice phone/internet appliance/ipod.

Group 2: Real Hackers. They have fun screwing with it. They understand that this is their recreation and if they "brick it". Oh well, its all in the pursuit of knowledge and fun. They dont pi55 and moan when they screw it up because they are well aware of the risks when they begin. I have the utmost respect for these people.

Group 3: Stupid people. These are the people that apple has 5crewed. They think they can play with the s/w written by the real hackers and have no consequences. There is a basic rule in any kind of commerce around warranties. if you modify something, the device is no longer the responsibility of the manufacturer. These stupid children think that their actions dont have consequences. They get angry when they are forced to suffer the consequences of THEIR actions.

Don

p.s. I own a Subaru STi. It makes 300 hp stock, its a blast to drive and it comes with subaru reliability. These "group 3" people remind me of the fools who take the car and modify it up to 500 hp. Then they complain that Subaru will not warranty their blown transmission. Idiots.

10. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Well that's just dandy.....lucky there is a way to at least downgrade the firmware :).

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

the hacking / modding community as far as the iPhone is concerned is a very small percentage of the overall owners of an iPhone.

I think they will sell fine.

12. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Perfect. Post of the day.

13. nightelf macrumors 6502

I think that Apple have sold lots of iPhones in the last 2-4 days, to people that want to hack them hoping to get 1.0.2 iPhones. Today I bought 5 iPhones to unlock them.

I think the next 2-3 weeks are going to be a bit slower until we get a free hack for 1.1.1.

14. cubist macrumors 68020

donmei, from what I can see, you have the groups wrong. There are 2 groups of iPhone users. They are:

1. People with more money than brains, i.e. stupid people.

2. People who really hoped that Apple was still the Apple Computer of yore, who made the Apple II and the other great products for their day, i.e., well, more stupid people.

So actually there's just one group. The smart people are staying away, and will continue to do so.

15. donmei macrumors regular

Cubist,

The Apple of yore is a myth. From day 1, apple has done its best to build CLOSED devices. Yes, they are a nice, cuddly, touchy feely kind of company. They try very hard to not be like Microsoft (insert reference to darth vader/deathstar here)

But apple has NEVER been hack friendly. Original Macs had nothing but serial connections. No slots, no nothing. Even if you look at current imacs they are CLOSED compared to PC's.

In fact I could make a very strong argument that Macs work so well BECAUSE they are closed. There is no other way to get such tight integration between hardware, drivers, and OS. Interestingly this is the same path taken by major server manufacturers in the name of stability.

Don
    p.s. dont knock the iphone till you've tried it. I've got a blackberry 8800 and it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. It was the best phone I'd ever used until I tried an iphone. I would not switch because of the iphone's cost. However, at some point the cost will come down. Unfortunately I need access to corporate email, so its blackberry or nothing.

p.p.s - when I added Google Maps to my 8800 I knew the risks. Fortunately it has worked great. It actually does something the iphone does not do. Since it has a GPS in it, the 8800 knows where you are and displays your location on its maps. Also, location based lookups are faster. I just need to type "liquor store" into it and it will give the closest ones to where I am at the time. Cool

16. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Why is it smart to stay away from rollout of a new technology. I've had so much fun with this thing and never showed it to anyone who didn't want to get one. It has sparked my interest in the future of handheld computing in a way that no PDA or hardkeyed smartphone has done. Have you ever tried fooling around with the thing? It's a gas! It speaks "stay tuned."

17. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Offcourse they'll buy them.
    You think people buy the iphone cause they want to hack it?

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

19. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I think the hackers have a tendency to inhale their own exhaust. They also think that they are large in numbers and think that they can hurt Apple with threats of boycotts, etc. In reality, they probably are no more than 5,000 at the very most and I am probably being generous.

20. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

And, some of the complaints about having been bricked are undoubtedly fabricated by trolls, I had not realized what a cottage industry that has become.

21. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

People lined up for hours to buy a locked iPhone with no 3rd party apps or unlocking hacks.

What has changed?

22. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Brilliantly said. I agree 100% here. Apple's sales will not drop at all because of this. Most people bought their iPhone, not because of it's hackability, but for what the phone offered. I'd love to see more, like MMS, and copy and paste, and hopefully I will with future updates. I'd buy it again tomorrow even knowing what I know today. It's still an awesome device, and a hell of a lot of fun to use!

23. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I bought the iPhone assuming we'd never see native third party applications. I'm glad that they exist, but they were never a selling point for the hardware itself.

It's not like Apple supported third party applications then suddenly stopped people from using them. Then I'd have a problem with it.

24. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Are you aware of how many people actually added applications to there phones?

Far fewer then you could ever imagine.

25. jasonsmith macrumors member

Hit the nail on the head. It has been an absolute amazing ride thus far. Albeit I am knee deep and hacked to the core. Ever since its release and due to Apples amazing "hype up" I have been absorbed so far that I forget to eat. The whole experience has been well worth the $599. If it was just another phone $599 would not have been acceptable, but we all are influencing the future.

Hopefully this will up the anti and manufactures will respond, so in another 10 yrs we can live it again with whoever.

FWIW - this phone is far from being locked down. ;)