Now that the phone has been out for a while does the RAM bother anyone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vgamedude, Nov 17, 2014.

1. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Hey was wondering since the phones been out a while if the lack of RAM bothers anyone. I'm guessing most people who don't do a lot of safari browsing probably aren't bothered by it, I'm mostly speaking of the 6+ but 6 users opinions are welcome to.

2. chabig macrumors 601

Apparently something about the RAM bothers you. My iPhone, however, has RAM.

3. Calebtt macrumors member

I have iP6 64 Gig, I use Chrome for browsing the web and it seems to work just fine. I’ve read over at iMore where some people were complaining about the 1Gig of ram and Safari refreshing a lot, but I personally haven’t noticed it.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No. I run maximum number of tabs routinely and even then its not a huge issue. Also games run smoothly and no UI lag what so ever. Love my iPhone 6.

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

The experience is pretty much the same as on the 5S, so yes I do experience tab reloading which is a result of the lack of RAM and iOS's memory management. If you ever listen to a podcast and pause it to surf the web (4-5 tabs) or launch a different app, there's a good chance the podcast will get terminated.

Quote from Anandtech:

Point is, if you never had a problem with it on the 5S, then you're good to go.

6. iOS909 macrumors member

I haven't really noticed any speed or loading issues at all on my iPhone 6, and I use it fairly heavily.

7. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I figured, I really don't think I'm going to get an iphone 6+ because of this but I wanted to make this thread and get some opinions on it and because I haven't seen a thread on the RAM in a while and was curious how people were fairing with their devices.

8. Imory macrumors 6502a

The experience is pretty much the same as before, and given how the iPad Air 2 now has twice the amount of RAM, running the same OS, it's become quite evident what a difference 2 GB of RAM has made.

9. vgamedude thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah it really sucks because I was looking forward to ios on a bigger screen phone, I just can't justify it to myself yet after all the ram issues I've had and continue to have, with my 4s.

Watched a video on youtube of the iPad Air 2 and a guy had around 12 tabs (if I remember right) switching and scrolling with no problems.

10. Imory, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

Imory macrumors 6502a

Yeah. There's only so much you can do through software and neither 7.1.2, 8.1 or the iPhone 6 has managed to prove that Apple could improve it. At this point they've done all they can do through software and the phones are just RAM-constrained at this point.

I've tried the 6 and the 6 Plus and what's really holding me back is that despite the otherwise state of the art hardware (CPU, GPU), I fear the RAM is going to become a serious bottleneck for future updates. Other than that it's a very capable phone and one the best all-around devices out there.

The truth of the matter is that technically my iPhone 5 should be better at keeping several tabs/apps simply because it shares the same amount of RAM, but has a smaller memory footprint (64-bit has a larger footprint than 32-bit), which is kind of embarrassing.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

2GB of RAM did not do anything to my iPad Air 2. It works just like our Air 1, but then we never open 25 tabs at one time.:cool:

12. Imory macrumors 6502a

Are you implying that the Air never suffered from the lack of RAM whatsoever? It was a ubiquitous issue.

13. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

My i5 running iOS7 reloads tabs and apps with far less than 25 tabs open. Sometimes three.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am saying that i see NO difference in my Air and Air 2 performance in Safari.:rolleyes:

15. Imory macrumors 6502a

Then you're the exception. Or perhaps you don't have more than 3-4 tabs open.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sorry to differ but there are many others.

17. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

since this started as an iphone thread, I'll comment on my 6.
    I will give it a +1 for performance. But, I rarely save a tab and refer back to it. if I experience reloading, I don't know it. if I'm composing a long or technical post, i do it in a word processor anyway so as to make it as professional as possible, so that aspect is not a problem for me either.
    I have no problems with lagginess or speed. Occasionally, I look at what is in history and freak at the 30 plus tabs that are there, close them all and continue on.
    The lack of ram, as it is called, has not been a problem for me.
    if only that darn sleep button was on the top.....

18. Dsching Suspended

Dsching

The ram bothers me all the time. I wanna eat a sandwich and the ram is all in my business. I am like:"Leave me alone ram." And it just doesn't go away.

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Has not been an issue for me. I don't really have more then 2 tabs open in safari anyway.

20. Imory macrumors 6502a

It's a well known issue which was brought up by several sites when the reviews came out. It got better with 7.1, but it's still an issue.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

We agree!

Except it is just not an issue for everyone!

22. BlazingGold macrumors member

It's very annoying for me as safari, Tapatalk and other apps seem to reload virtually all the time if I exit out and go back in, even under a minute later. I do not remember my iPhone 5 doing this

23. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

Not to attack anyone in particular, but questions like this are so obtuse. It would be like asking how you liked the latest Stones album after Keith Richards switched to nickle wound strings instead of the nickle-brass wound ones from the previous album.

I've got a 6+ 128. I routinely have several tabs (running over 9 currently) on Safari, and sometimes switch between them, and sometimes they reload and sometimes they don't. I think page reloads have something to do with the amount of time that they have been 'open', and the website itself forcing a reload.

I'm not the 'average iPhone user', at least I don't think so, and so far the only thing that is in my mind when I use it is 'Will it start crashing', and 'Will I accidentally drop it and toast the screen' (COME ON Otterbox! It's not like you are brand new at manufacturing iPhone cases, HELLO!!!). The amount of RAM isn't even in the top 50. It's not something I can change, so why dwell on it.

I did notice out-of-the-box that the 6+ was a lot faster than my old iPhone. To me, that's a major plus. RAM size hasn't been an issue that I've been aware of, and so far (knock on wood) it's not crashing: It's been a perfect upgrade! Sorry that RAM size is killing it for you...

I suspect that Apple didn't up the RAM because so many people don't keep their iPhones for more than a year or so. They also figured that the iPad user would be using the 'net more, and other harder apps and would need the larger running room more. Wait until next year for the 6s+ if it bothers you that much.

24. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

The iPhone isn't a true smartphone then if one has to use another device for web browsing. The 1GB of RAM *sucks* and it has sucked since the iPhone 5 came out over two years ago.

25. BlazingGold macrumors member

Now that the phone has been out for a while does the RAM bother anyone?

"Wait for the next iPhone" is not exactly a solution, and "people don't keep phones for more than a year" is not a reason to not put more RAM into the 6 plus. The apps and Safari tabs constantly reloading is something that could have been avoided. The devices are close to $1,000 not $50. When you pay a premium for a top of the line device, neither the consumer nor Apple's intentions are/should be to accept a lower standard. Also, I doubt Apple was ever assuming iPhone users don't use their phone for web browsing intensively. In turn, a person shouldn't have to find a work-around for their tabs constantly reloading when trying to perform a task and then having to get out of it for a moment. This also eats up data. If a company releases the functionality to even use a phone to make credit card payments, how and why would it not be made to surf the web many times per day? These are essentially mini computers now, and that is what we pay for. Not texting devices