Now that you know about the ipad 2 features are you excited about the iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

You see where apple is going with the iphone 5

2. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

A5 dual core. Thats really it.

I am more interested in iOS 5

4. sunny1985 macrumors member

not much of an update to the previous model. lets see how the iphone 5 plans out, but im not holding my breath

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

The iPad 2 is really "meh". I'd rather see improved battery life. And of course, if the iPhone 5 doesn't get a 4 inch or larger screen, then double "meh".

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

IMO iOS 5 will be a big update. The only thing on the iPad 2 that the iPhone 5 will use is the dual core, everything else was iOS 4.3

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Agreed. The added/upgraded/changed everything except the screen.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So make something up to make yourself happy, it is a rumor site after all.

10. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Well, I already have an iPad. It's called an iPhone.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep, this'll be the year os iOS 5.

I predict lots of new software that will run equally well on an i4, i5, or iPad 2.

I think that no one will care too much about the hardware this year. It'll be the software update that gets everyone's attention.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I agree with The Car here. I don't think that iPhone 5 will be that big of a leap from the iPhone 4 that people will be clamoring for it like they were last summer. iOS 5 is probably going to be the biggest thing to come out of WWDC. iPhone 6 is where the massive lines will start forming again, thanks to 4G and probably another major redesign.

13. bunny ear tv macrumors newbie

The only bummer about 4G will be, all AT&T customers that are currently enjoying grandfathered unlimited 3G data plans, kiss that goodbye when you move up to a 4G plan.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

+1. I'm sure they'll be adding it to the next iPhone and if its that much faster than it already is it'll be an amazing phone. I just hope they get the form factory right. Not that they miss very often though.

16. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

MAYBE when AT&T releases LTE (iPhone in 2012)but the grandfathered plans with 100% still be around for HSPA+ (iPhone in 2011).

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Uh, no. *yawn*

I didn't even know the iPad 2 was announced today until I checked on PhoneScoop. I check phone sites daily. Seemed like this announcement got slipped under the rug. The specs don't excite me like when those tablets at CES were announced. Apple just playing catch-up. iPad is adding cameras, a slight speed boost, thinner, a white color that may never get released, and an iOS that still looks old and dated. Tiny app icons on a 9.7 inch screen. It is a giant iPod touch again! Android will always have the advantage in hardware since they get released all the time and Apple makes one device that needs to cover an entire year. You won't beat an army of OEMs with different ideas even it causes fragmentation for them. At least Android is changing it up with Honeycomb.

I want the BlackBerry PlayBook, but I can settle for a Sony NGP/PSP2 if priced at $299. Only 5 inch screen, but I can always use it as a mini-tablet. A tweener like the Dell Streak.

There will be a time when people will just grow tired of Apple after being relevant since their iPod phenomenon. They will just rest on their laurels and announce overall global sales for reassurance. Then Steve Jobs will say how wonderful, cool, revolutionary, and magical their devices are. It happens to all companies. Look at Nokia, Motorola, and Sony. It is like the music industry. You get played out over time and want someone new. Each has had their downfall. As consistent as some great artists are, they do run out of fresh ideas and everything becomes more of the same. Try something new, and it isolates the fans. Try the same old stuff, and it becomes like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Boring and played out.

18. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Must you post the same thing on every thread?
    Nokia and Motorola this, Apple and the iOS sucks, android is great pretty much sums up your every post.
    Yet, you're in an Apple and iphone forum...

20. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Thanks, i was about to say something.

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

It's good to see that Apple is following in Android's footsteps and putting dual core processors on its mobile devices.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Best thing from iPad 2 announcement is the A5 dual-core chip. I don't own an iPad.
    I can't wait to see that on the iPhone 5. I'm also looking forward to iOS 5, hoping to see a huge update to the OS, and making use of that dual-core processor.

Biggest thing i want hardware wise:
    -bigger screen, 3.7 to 4" screen
    -better battery life
    -faster processor (A5)

23. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I agree with others.. Its not so much about hardware anymore.. Its all about software.

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

LTE needs to be in the back of people's minds. LTE may not be important to tablets since most consumers buy the WiFi version and don't want another data plan. But with phones, if you want the subsidized price, you are forced to pay for a data plan.

I believe the iPhone 5 will have the smallest jump from iPhone 4 since the iPhone 3G improved from the first one. The original iPhone was a breakthrough. iPhone 3GS was the best one of that iPhone "3's" w/ a speed boost and video recording. And iPhone 4 was the first complete redesign, and offered great screen display, battery life, and camera. iPhone 3G is the least favorite of that bunch even though the App Store was introduced in its era and iPhones became more affordable. iPhone 5 will likely look like the iPhone 4 with just minor tweaks and a 4 inch screen. It is going to hardly be a jump just like iPad 2 is from iPad 1. Once we get that bigger screen, it will be like who cares after that? Playing catch up. Android still has 4.3 inch screens. Glass is still half empty. It is sad to see Apple so behind in hardware that a .5 inch increase is now a big deal. An iPad remedies that iOS experience with a 9.7 inch screen.

Engadget honored four awards to Apple for gadget, tablet, phone, and portable media player of the year. You have to applaud Apple for having a banner year in 2010. In 2011, I don't see them repeating the same success from last year. Like you fav team, you can't expect them to win the championship every single year. I see iPod touch winning another reward since they are so far ahead of the pmp market, but I personally don't them winning it for tablet or phone of the year. It peaked last year, and you need to give them more time to reload and blow our minds again in the future. Fresh ideas always runs out.

25. Krandor macrumors 6502

Bingo. iOS5 is going to be the BIG announcement this year.