Now, That's what I call Service!! - How is it where you are?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Apr 16, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've owned this MBP since Aug'07 and it's been absolutely fantastic, it's been fairly trouble free, until now.

※Instance One
    Recently I notice the battery was under-performing but still holding a decent charge but I wasn't sure was it normal (i know some folks here would think it's perfectly normal - but lets see what Apple says) Anyway, I went along to my local AppleStore (心斎橋) made some enquires and immediately they made me an appointment to test the system on the following day - just as well, the store is 5mins away!

[​IMG]

The next day, they took one look at the conditions and swapped out the battery without even asking any questions. After they told me the new cell is a known good battery (how they know that?) and prompted "if it misbehaved please bring it back" - I felt reassured. :)

New Battery:
    [​IMG]

※Instance Two
    On the weekend, I decided to clean my keyboard cause it's been about six months since I took any notice of it - let me tall ya folk, although it's functioning correct, it's not a pretty site! :eek:

Using a small brush and a vacuum cleaner set to low, I slowly worked around the keyboard de-dusting and removing strands of hair.. then OMG! A few of the key-caps came off and revealing some broken white things... In all I managed to break four keys, all from the function keys, but it wasn't intentional. I immediately took some tape and taped the parts to the outta case of the machine - for safe keeping.

[​IMG]

Late last night I revisited the AppleStore again, and explained to them I have an little accident while cleaning the keyboard. The chaps there stood and heard me out as I explained what happened... Just so happens the genus who served me the week before also served me for this issue. He made a couple of suggestions, all in Japanese and broken english, pointed out that some keys looked worn and over used....

Basically, he gave me a couple of options.
    1. to have the keyboard replaced.
    2. replace broken parts.

At this point i wasn't sure what's better and thought it's best I left the decision to to him. They suggested I leave the system with them for a few hours and they'll give me a call before the close of business.

So I went shopping.. within two hours, I received an email on my keitai informing me the system was ready for pick up!!! :):)

※Instance Three
    Before the paper working was completed, I pointed out my display has a odd fault at times. I explained the display would occasionally display a row of pixels and the only way to get rid of it was to restart. For about 30 mins I tried to show him the problem, eventually I got the display to act oddly...

[​IMG]

Right away the chap suggested they'll order me in a new panel and a replacement logic-board, in-case it's not the display, to replacement the current faulty one.

I then explained I used the MBP for my freelance work and I couldn't be without it for too long... and asked what's the average turn-around? He said, normally we can complete the service within within forty-eight hours, since it's done on-site, we can return the tested system to the client fairly quickly - to which i said "go for it"

Before I left with my MBP, they handled me some paperwork, one for the replacement keyboard, the other for the new panel and logic-board...

Again, they took some details, mainly my keitai number and keitai email.. and suggested I bring the system in when they call with the new part in-stock.

Then I joking said.. All I need now are some new case screws to replace the ones I scratched, while changing the HD! To my surprise they said they will change anything that needs to be changed! and scribbled a note on the paperwork regarding case screws!! :eek:

It's nice to know that in Japan, retailers really do believe "the Customer is King!!" I've had warranty service from the AppleStore before but in the UK. Their turn-around is normally two very long and painful weeks... So glad I'm living in Japan now. :p:p

2. hohohong macrumors 6502

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

5. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Hey UltraNEO*, how do you get coconut battery to save your data? I would like to do the same.

TIA.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Wow. That's very very nice.

Hmmm, I am starting to get suspicious about my battery. According to iStat Pro I have spent 37 cycles and the capacity is down to 93%. Is that normal? I rarely use it so I wouldn't know.

7. Bokser Guest

Hi UltraNEO, nice story, hope your Macbook will come back to you quickly and perfect ;)

Just out of curiosity - What is keitai? and do you know Japanese, or studying it..?

Good luck :)

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I don't need to do much to make CoconutBattery store my info, when i run the application, i click on the ▲ (triangle) to reveal the draw, then click on the Save button and that's it. Next time i load the application all my data is just there!!

Ain't yours doing that?

A "Keitai" is what the we call a Mobile phone. It literally means "handy", or 'something you carry'.

Not to be actively learning Japanese, while living in Japan is just suicide. It's required for just about everything... especially if your gonna dine out, or ask someone to repair something.

9. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I was given a long lecture from one of the Apple TechStaff in my local store.
    They said 'a battery that has a constant capacity of around 90~98% will be a healthier battery than one that's always 100%.' How true that is, remains to be seen... let me test out this theory. :)

however, my old battery wasn't consistent enough. It's charge would fluctuate from 80% to 95% depending on pure randomness.. You can see this from the first image.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Awesome! Glad to see customer service is amazing in japan:)

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice to see that not all customer service stories are bad.:D

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

My bad. I meant battery health, not capacity. Anyways, the health has only gone downhill since I got it (as expected).

13. hohohong macrumors 6502

Lemme tell u all my experience

Part 1:

I bought my MBP during my vacation in Summer 2007 with the $200 off iPOD, $100 off printer in US.

When I 1st got it, the LED is perfect white (no yellowish). But there was something wrong with it as it freezes once in a while. 2 days later, I brought it to genius and he was trying to reboot from external hard drive. But it kernel panic. They said the motherboard had to be replaced!!

So, i decide to go back home (Canada) and have that fixed! But in my city, there's no apple store, so I had to bring to local retailer to fix it. They said it'll take at least 2 weeks and I need computer.

At that time, the new iLife 08 came out, so I called them to send me a copy of iLife 08. They sent it for free.

So, I drove back to US to see if I can exchange for a new one as it's only 1 week since i bought it. But genius said mine's custom, so have to do it thru apple CS.

So, I sent it back to Apple and they sent me a new 1. As a patient client and nice manager in Apple, the manager offered me a free case of my choice that Apple store carries.

1st replacement came, But unfortunately, yellow LED. Paying so much $$, I demand perfection (I know some people here who owned Apple stock probably disagree with me). I was really disappointed at that time. I called CS and they accept to refund me my full amount. The same manager who dealt with me last time offered me $100 on top of what I've paid for all my trouble. As I have name engraved on my iPod, I get to keep it.

So, I pretty much got my iPod ($200), printer ($100), free case ($90), iLife08 (sold that later for $60) for free.

Part 2:

I also bought wireless keyboard (plastic version) when i purchase my MBP. But the space bar falls off after 1 day of using it!

So, they send me a replacement. I waited for 1 month and nothing came. Called them and they courier another.

1 week later, I got it. But Spanish version!! They told me to send in the spanish KB and will send another. At that time, the new aluminum KB was released. I requested that and they were nice to send that instead. But I had to wait for 6 weeks.

So I waited. In the meantime, they were supposed to send me a wired KB for me to keep while I'm without KB. But they sent a wireless plastic KB!

I called them and said they made a mistake and I can keep that and they'll still send me the aluminum KB.

A few days later, the KB I was waiting for 1 month arrived!! Again, they said keep it!

More than 8 weeks later, the aluminum finally arrived.

So, I have 2 plastic wireless keyboard, 1 aluminum KB for the price of 1!

So, I think I got around $600 worth of stuff for free :D,.... gotta love :apple:
    CS are nice, just be patient, I MEAN MORE THAN 30 hours on the phone, and 10 hr of driving to my closest Apple store!

14. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Update...

Apple called today to arrange a time to drop off the system, due to the understanding the Japanese have regarding work, and professionals that work long hours... My AppleStore have promised to give me a one day service. :) This means i'll check my MBP in on Saturday morning and it'll be read for pick up on the Sunday evening... Who said Apple we're rude? :rolleyes:

In addition to this, they've offer me a free upgrade to ProCare :D
    So dam.n glad I live in Japan... Customer service here, truly ROCKS!! !!

I'll let you know on monday how it goes.. :D

15. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Mushi Mushi

Slightly OT, but when I was stationed in Japan and had to get electronics fixed it was always done ASAP, never got the run around or anything like here in the states. I'd move back there permanently in a minute if I could.

I do NOT think they will let you down at the Apple Store.