Now the good guys with guns are killing poeple

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Nov 23, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland-boy-12-shot-and-killed-by-police-over-fake-gun/

Are cops just getting too trigger happy, surely they can tell a 12 year old boy playing from a 12 year old boy with a loaded weapon.

If we can't trust the cops with their guns who can we trust.

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It is a sad situation. However, the orange tip is there for a reason.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

There is a reason why the Orange tip is there. Not a fan of police abuse at all, but seems it was a justified shooting here. Thoughts with the family

4. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

oh definitely

ahhahahahaha!

do you hear yourself man?

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Running around and pointing a look alike weapon, it going to end badly in any country were the police are regularly shot at.

The orange tip is to show that the it's a toy.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    On one hand, that's a damn realistic looking airsoft gun. I could understand the confusion.

On the other, the woman who called into 911 said she was pretty certain the gun was a fake, but wanted the police out there to make sure, because she was suspicious. You think there could've been a better way to handle this situation.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When we were kids, we'd run around shooting at each other with cap guns--long guns and pistols--and metal toy guns that would emit a loud "BANG!" when you cocked it.

Today, the cops would probably shoot us dead.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

At the end of the 911 call, she said "I don't know if the gun is real, or not." Seems she wasn't really sure. Even though she said it is probably fake.
    911 Call and article.

----------

We did as well, along with the occasional BB Gun war.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Same here but times have changed & sadly not for the better

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I would hope the cops would be able to tell from kids playing and a kid ready to shoot people. Yes the orange tip was gone, but cops should know play from threat.

11. boast macrumors 65816

boast

If i was a cop, i would not take the risk and make sure i get back to my wife and kids alive.

Which i guess good thing im not a cop...

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

W/o video we can't tell. More of a reason why every cop should have a camera on him at all times while on duty

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Are cops taught to shoot to injure or shoot to kill? A 12 year old kid could easily handle a shot to the leg over a kill shot to the stomach.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Trained to stop the threat. Shooting the hand, leg, knee, and shoot to injure is Hollywood make believe.

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

To eliminate the threat. Whether a suspect lives or not is secondary.

----------

It's a terrible situation. My heart goes out to the boy's family and to the cops and their families.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Most people are terrible shots. They probably just aim for the center of the torso.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Airsoft or other replica guns with bright orange tips are not safe to carry in public.

Why? Because its pretty easy for a criminal to take a real semiautomatic handgun or carbine and paint the tip of the barrel orange. And any cop who assumes a weapon with an orange tip is fake is a fool. In fact most police officer training on dealing with armed suspects specifically addresses this issue. An officer can never assume anything with an unknown subject, especially if he has reason to believe there is the possibility of a weapon.

Which is, as we've seen repeatedly in the past few months, a problem.

Because it inevitably leads to a situation where a police officer's training, with its emphasis on officer safety over just about every other metric, all but guarantees unarmed, and ultimately harmless people will end up being killed by the cops.

18. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Most everyone is a terrible shot when under pressure. So of course the training calls for center mass.

19. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

this

what 12 year old boy is not gonna want that stupid looking orange tip off of the gun? i know i did when i was that age, we took it off because it looked terrible, plain and simple.

bunch of people in this thread seem to think i should be dead because of it

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It is sad that kids can not be kids anymore. Who wants to raise a family in this environment when everything is a threat to everything else.

21. boast macrumors 65816

boast

So back then if cops came, guns drawn, and told you to put it down, you would just draw your gun because "boys will be boys"?

Yes im shocked youre not dead from this. How many times has it happened?

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

back in our times things were a bit simpler, today's teens are questionable , plenty of teens are criminals at their young age. cops point a gun at you and asked you to see your hands and you draw on them? sorry, but kid left them little choice

----------

kids can be kids, they just need to be more careful. pulling a gun on cops is not a bright idea, regardless of your age

23. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

of course i didn't grow up in a country where everyone and their grandmother had a bunch of guns laying around the house, making the possibility of some 12 year old inadvertently stumbling upon one and taking it out with him more real than it needs to be

you think that might be the real problem here?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surely the police could have used a loudhailer? They could have said "We have had a report of someone waving a gun around. Is that real?" Doesn't take a lot of imagination, unless you are simply programmed to destroy any threat.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

taught to end the threat, if you have time to "aim" it could be argued you had time to asses the situation etc.etc.etc.
    cops are people and just like anyone else, they want to get home, pulling a gun on a cop is not a bright idea