Now The Obama Administration Is After Gunsmiths?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankmi...ministration-is-after-gunsmiths/#5c3f3936642c
    liberal agenda in full view
    liberal logic.jpg

2. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Oh boy, here you go again with your childish temper tantrum.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, somebody has to keep track on people who have learned to make and service arms, and that costs money. After all they could be terrorists....

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

there is no reason for this stupidity. they are only targeting gun owners, not anyone else who "manufactures"

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

7. jkcerda, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nah, won't suit their agenda
    [​IMG]

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The poster in the OP looks pretty sensible to me. Seems better than opposing any form of legislation and blaming the government every single time.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Who is going to own the Supreme Court in the next few years? That's what matters.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If an auto mechanic isn't a manufacturer why would a gun smith be considered one? I think I can try this case and it's not just because I worked at a Holiday Inn Express for 2yrs.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Because the .gov said so. Defense Distributed are still in a legal battle with the .gov.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes this is a liberal agenda they control all aspects of the government. I am sure Obama in his godhood created this all himself. Paranoid much?

14. chown33 macrumors 604

I suspect these will also matter:
    - the time to get a judgement
    - the initial judgement
    - the appeals outcome
    - challenges to administrative process
    - any stays issued

It reminds me of when the FCC applied net neutrality rules to ISPs. The ISPs eventually won the first round, so the FCC took a different route. The FCC issued its initial order in 2008, and here we are in 2016 (two full Presidential terms later) and the landscape still isn't entirely stable.

15. Limey77 macrumors regular

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But But evil Obama and liberals.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    nothing like using a pic of someone that looks inbred to defend rednecks.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Actually I think he has a good point on the $2,250. I know people who supplement their main job by being a gunsmith. They do it because they enjoy it as a job / hobby and for the extra money. The $2,250 (fee / tax) from the government would put many of them out of business.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's the plan.
    Do tell what does a redneck look like?

19. Limey77 macrumors regular

And do any of them import or export guns internationally? If not then this does not apply to them in any way.

Please read the link and don't keep being fooled by these opinion pieces.
    Do you guys deliberately get your panties in a knot without even reading the thread?

This has been thoroughly debunked as yet another attempt to rile ignorant gun owners into believing something that is not true.

I so wish you'd put as much time into reading the actual documents as you do into dissing Obama - you might discover some actual facts.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I go commando that way I don't have anything to get into a knot.
    Debunked? Source?

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I happen agree with a few of the points of the meme there, mainly I see no issue with requiring registration of guns. I okay with certain guns being banned. And I don't have a problem with limiting magazine capacity to a reasonable number.

I don't think it's right to "tax" gunsmiths as manufactures. If they want to apply fees to their profession, make a separate class for gunsmiths and charge them a reasonable amount. Not, something to disrupt their business or put them out. I don't think it's the government's place to tax people out of business.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I have no problem with people registering their PC's as they may exercise their Right to Freedom of Speech. I find 200 rounds to be reasonable.

23. Limey77 macrumors regular

If you actually read the thread then you would see that in post 15 I posted the link to the original pdf issued as guidance. Not some opinion piece designed to stir up the crazies.

This is a minor administration cost to large manufacturers who import and export guns internationally. A cost they can easily afford.

24. DrewDaHilp1, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

1. Registration not Required – Not Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is not required because the following activities do not meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” that DDTC employs in implementing the ITAR and, therefore, do not constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes: a) Occasional assembly of firearm parts and kits that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining; b) Firearm repairs involving one-for-one drop-in replacement parts that do not require any cutting, drilling, or machining for installation; c) Repairs involving replacement parts that do not improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation; d) Hydrographic paint or Cerakote application or bluing treatments for a firearm;

e) Attachment of accessories to a completed firearm without drilling, cutting, or machining—such as attaching a scope, sling, or light to existing mounts or hooks, or attaching a flash suppressor, sound suppressor, muzzle brake, or similar item to a prethreaded muzzle;

2. Registration Required – Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
    e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;

That sounds pretty restrictive. Need a scope mounted that doesn't have mount screws in place? Yep controlled by ITAR. Need to have you're muzzle device replaced. Yep controlled by ITAR. Basic common things that by no means endanger anything.

In blue, this is a legalese document yet they don't define the meaning of manufacturing.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the woman pictured looks inbred to you?