"NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America..."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jun 2, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

LINK

We are one step closer, ladies and gentlemen. :D

2. gotzero macrumors 68040

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Really? Seems like nothing more than an empty gesture to me. It's probably meant to placate the angry LGBT community that voted for him, but have yet to see any action regarding LGBT rights.

A good start would be the overturning of DADT, not this.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you read the whole thing? Prof- you should post the whole proclamation.

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

Good to see.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Actually, this seems pretty gutsy to me considering the amount of gay hate being dished out after the gay marriage rulings (pro and con).

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's the text of the entire proclamation:

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Yes, it still seems like an empty gesture. Of all of the goals he stated in the speech, only the hate crimes legislation has any traction right now. I have seen nothing that indicates he is close to moving on federal rights or civil unions or removing the DADT policy.

So again, I'll believe this when I see actual results. This is nothing more than an attempt to win back support from a group that was becoming increasingly disappointed with his administration.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We're not that stupid. And we won't sit still for empty words either. You should know that by now. That he is saying something means he's at least hearing us. This just means we turn the heat up even more.

And compared to Bush, this is a lot better.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Wow. BIG step in the right direction. I'm glad to hear things like this happening in our country.

However, and by no means is this a threat towards the President on my behalf, why do I have the sinking feeling that when I'm 80 years old telling my grandchildren about my life, I'll have the unfortunate ability to say "One of the Presidents of my day was assassinated?" :(

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm not saying the LGBT community is stupid, Lee. I believe that this will only increase demands for equality, but I was questioning Obama's motives.

To me, it seems like he knows he will not be acting on any of this for a while (except for the hate crimes legislation, which is making its way through Congress). It just seems like he is trying to please the LGBT community until he thinks it is more politically advantageous to himself to act. He knows that the left is becoming increasingly disappointed with him, especially in regards to civil liberties, so he had to do something to shore up his support.

Although it is great to see a President do something like this, it does not improve my opinion of the Obama administration.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

This is indeed interesting progress, and I do see it as so. However, I feel that the goal will only be truly reached when nobody cares anymore. And we can all just... conquer space or something.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I could care less about his motives. He's a politician- no one here is missing that. And this won't do much to shore up any support if he fails to act. We've been waiting a long time for this. Don't think we won't seize the moment.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is it that makes it seem this way to you?

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30830397/

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well... it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Actions speak louder than words. We shall see.

19. Shivetya macrumors 65816

considering the news coverage is near zero...

says it is an empty gesture... and even better... he calls for civil unions, NOT MARRIAGE.

So much for anything there...

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This is worth absolutely nothing unless he also declares a different month Heterosexual month.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Anyone paying any sort of attention knows that has been his position from the beginning.

So- since he said "civil unions", not "marriage", that means what to you? And how is it "better"?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just like we have white history month right? :rolleyes:

23. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Much better than what I was about to post. :eek:

24. gibbz macrumors 68030

Who cares what it is called. If you live on the supposition that marriage is a religious institution, then the edict of separation of church and state should mean that the government makes no preferential acknowledgements or policy based on religion.

As such, the government should only recognize unions, regardless of whether the couple is hetero/homosexual. When people go to get a license, it should only be to tell the state of the intentions to act as a union and the state should acknowledge only that. If a church wants to wed homosexuals, great. If not, that's their prerogative. It should have no bearing on whether the state recognizes their partnership.

As it stands now, the government is denying basic civil liberties to a group based on a religious argument, which is plain bunk. The fact that we continue to deny rights shows our great country has moved little past its days during the civil rights fight. We have simply moved to another group to disparage.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

My take on this proclamation is that it's the first shot fired across the bow of the SS Discrimination. I've no doubt that he believes what he just wrote, but he's also a man who seems to believe in building support for issues. He's letting the extremists know where he stands.

As has been said, actions speak louder than words, but has any other president made any similar statement? He's definitely not so stupid as to offer up something so grand without intending to follow through on it.