Now THIS is ironic: Brussels Ridiculed Idea Of Islamic Violence In Ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Mar 22, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

People and governments keep pretending the world is a different place than it is so plainly is. Delusional and dangerous thinking:

In the wake of Tuesday’s deadly bombing that killed at least 34 people, Brussels officials may regret an advertisement two months ago ridiculing the idea the city was a center of Islamic radicalism.

VisitBrussels, the city’s tourism department, crafted the #CallBrussels campaign in an effort to disassociate the city with Islamic terror after residents were linked to the November, 2015, Paris attacks and other extremist plots.

As part of the campaign, VisitBrussels set up telephones across the city and invited people to call them in order to speak with Brussels passersby. It then used these calls to create a video touting Brussels as a peaceful, welcoming city.​

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What they need to do now is follow the Germans example and punish pamphlets suggesting that maybe, just maybe, blowing-up people with suicide belts isn't nice behavior for grateful citizens of a free and open democracy.

Or give them all a gold star for not raping anybody; just blowing them to smithereens.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It'll all get fixed with a cartoon and a few hashtags, it's the way in 2016.

4. zin macrumors 6502

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

VisitBrussels, the city’s tourism department, should up-armor a fleet of buses with domes of bulletproof glass and take tourists though Brussels' Muslim ghettos, sort of a Jihadi Jurassic Park. They're stuck with it, might as well make some money off it.

6. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

True. Well done!

Irony is the opposite of what is expected. Do I need to explain the concept further to you?

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

They released a new version

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

What did you expect them to do?!?!?? Release an ad saying "do NOT visit our country and spend tourism dollars here!!! There's a possibility of a terrorist attack!"

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Indeed. Sad part is that there was a report on CNN less than 1 day before the attacks saying, in effect, they were waiting for the next shoe to drop.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/21/europe/belgium-terror-fight-molenbeek/index.html

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

I like the way that most of you Americans going on about how dangerous Brussels is, probably hasn't been there, or even to Belgium.

12. kapolani macrumors regular

I'm going to go out on a limb here...

But, I think airports/bus stops/insert whatever here - sounds pretty darn dangerous.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

To be honest, I was less than impressed with Brussels. I found Antwerp more interesting.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended