Now this is just getting ridiculous...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by musika, Dec 9, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

It should not be like this.

53% Battery.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323456000.292800.jpg

Only a little moderate usage. iOS 5.0.1. iPhone 4S. Just a few photo uploads and browsing. The back of the phone heats up like crazy from just having the screen on. Why is this getting worse?

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Turn off the battery percentage and quit obsessing over it. I bet your battery will magically get better.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe not bad compared to some other phones.

But compared to the iPhone 4 on iOS 4 that's pretty bad. And that's what people's benchmark is going to be.

"Stop obsessing" is good advice when you're obsessing over something that's always been the same for you and everyone else. But when something changes from one year to the next it's hard to ignore that.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

My iPhone 4 battery was much better than the battery in my 4S, but both get me through a whole day with my normal usage, so I don't fret about it. I just charge it every night.

5. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Have you tried a full restore via iTunes (take a backup before hand, but don't restore from this backup), then see what your standby time is like without installing any additional apps?

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

You say a few photo uploads... were you on wifi when uploading them?

I tried to email myself a couple of pictures the other day and my battery dropped drastically while it was sending. You really shouldn't upload/send pics when not on wifi.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's not "just having the screen on". Something's causing the heat (and is eating up your battery). What do you have running?

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Why are some posters acting like this is just normal and just the way it is?
    My iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0.1 drops 30% overnight just sitting there!
    THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!
    All the same apps and settings as were on my iP4.
    Reports of worse battery life after 5.0.1 are all over the place.
    Apple needs to fix this NOW and accept that there is a problem and anyone saying otherwise is just living in the Apple reality distortion field.

9. Eric0531 macrumors newbie

My battery drops at most 3% overnight, does that mean I'm "living in the Apple reality distortion field"?

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, mine drops at most 3% overnight (usually like 2% though).

What DotCom2 is describing is in fact a problem. It should NOT be dropping by 30% overnight. But instead of sitting and waiting for Apple to do something, start troubleshooting!

Step 1. Identify all variables. Literally list them out on a piece of paper if you must:

-- Location services (and all sub-categories)
    -- Cell signal
    -- Email accounts (and all attributes of each one)

Step 2. Once you have a list, start testing them individually. Meaning, only change ONE variable at a time and observe the impact. So maybe on one night, turn off ALL location services. MAKE NO OTHER CHANGE. Does it still drop by 30%? If so, TURN THEM BACK ON and move to the next variable. If it doesn't drop by 30% maybe you should test EACH location service individually to see which one is causing the problem.

Assuming turning off location services makes no impact, the next night, test Cell signal theory. MAKING NO OTHER CHANGE, put the phone in airplane mode. This will disable it from searching for a cell signal constantly. In the morning, check to see if it went down by 30% again.

Assuming it still did, take phone out of airplane mode. The next night, totally delete one of your email accounts (or all of them if you want to test them all at the same time).

You see what I'm getting at here... eventually you should be able to pinpoint EXACTLY what is causing the drain. "Oh it looks like when I disabled the account that is syncing my contacts, the excessive drain stopped." Now you can further drill down into what specifically may be the problem with contact sync.

I don't disagree -- Apple should figure out what is happening here BUT it's NOT happening to everyone.

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I think what they are saying is that Apple is supposedly coming out with a more comprehensive fix in the 5.1 update.

And until that comes out, there's not much you can do, so turn off the battery %, stop obsessing and just use your phone.

Also i don't think Apple once said there isn't a problem

12. phaggard macrumors regular

I could have sworn that somewhere I heard that the Iphone 4S has a battery issue and I think I also heard that Apple is working on a fix for it. I may have read about in the hundreds of posts on the forum. Patience.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

That's FALSE!!!

See my post above. There IS SOMETHING they can do... Troubleshoot. It's not hard, it makes you feel like you're doing SOMETHING rather than sitting and waiting in anger AND you may actually figure out what the problem is!

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Mine don't drop at all overnite. I had re-lectrisity installed into the house, they's a juice hole rat thar in the wall by my sleepin cot. Full battry ever mornin! Some of you-all ain't as sufistikated as us in the Ozarks, but check on it - they's runnin wires rat up to the house most places!

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Return your phone? Get another iPhone or phone that works?? Seems pretty simple to solve yourself actually.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

17. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

hahaha!

18. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Or you could just be wasting your time and turning off things that shouldn't have to be turned off.

If there's a bug in the code of iOS, there's no setting you can just switch off to make your battery better.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

CLEARLY something you're running is pegging the CPU and sucking juice. So why not troubleshoot and run one app at a time. Not really rocket science is it.

I'm running 5.0.1 on a 4S and i get 4-6hr usage and 15hr+ standby times easy and thats with everything except Bluetooth switched on...and i game too. Suggests the OS isn't really your culprit.

20. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

You can sit here and whine and cry about battery percentage until you're blue in the face. But the bottom line is you can't change it until they release another fix.

So spend your days obsessing over a battery percentage, or come to the realization that it's beyond your control? I'd pick the latter.

21. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

mine is like that too. about 1-1.5 hours of usage just browsing and chatting and drop to 50% sometimes less...

its starting to anoyme. my friend has an iPhone 4 and with the same usage he's drops to 70% or 75%.

i think the problem of the 4s its not anymore software issue.

it has too much engine(A5) for a such a small gas tank (battery)...

if the iPad 2 had the same battery as the iPhone 4s it also would last 2 hours of usage.

22. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

My 4S gets much better battery life, so do those owned by many other people, therefore your theory is blown out of the water.

23. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

my 4s doesn't get good battery life, like many other people, so your statement is also blown out of the water :D

24. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, I didn't make any broad, general claims about the phone, so there was nothing in mine to blow out of the water.

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If what you're saying was true, everyone with a 4S would be getting poor battery life, and that's just not the case.