Now this is the direction the Border Wall should be going ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Saw this on the news today - watched it being streamed live as this company did a live demo of their new version of the border wall.
    *snip*
    An Arizona-based construction company demonstrated Tuesday for two senators, six congressmen, top Army Corps of Engineers officials, and former Kansas State Secretary Kris Kobach how it can install 218 miles of border fence, paved roads, and technology on the southern border at a fraction of the time and cost the Trump administration has planned.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...arizona-to-see-companys-border-fence-proposal

*snip*
    Two weeks ago, Fisher made a formal, unsolicited offer to Trump administration officials in Washington to build 218 miles of wall along the U.S.-Mexico border for $3.3 billion and have the entire job completed in 13 months, a fraction of the $5.7 billion the White House requested in December for 234 miles.

The technology would increase fiberoptic cables planted in the ground, capable of detecting and differentiating between human activity, vehicles, tunneling, and animals up to 40 feet away.

Add that to cameras and radar in select areas ... now that is a cost effective force multiplier.

Kudos to this group for looking for a better way. :cool:

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

If they throw in a bouncy castle every 10 miles for free I will sign off on this.

3. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Which side of the fence? :D

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Hopefullynot too bouncy, might be able to jump across.

5. Tech198 macrumors G5

better way ? The 'better way' is not to do it at all.. Their gonna find ways in regardless.

lol.. Fun

Both sides. They way they don't need to walk.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or, to borrow the rationale from pro-gun supporters, "If they build the wall, then only criminals will find ways in." :rolleyes:

BL.

7. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Yep, you missed the point. :rolleyes:

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Yep, we should just give up right now since it's not 100% effective.

Locks and burglar alarms on homes aren't 100% effective so I guess we should give up on those also.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019 ---
    Trump should announce that he doesn't like this wall and then the Democrats would demand that we get it :D.

9. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

So we are talking bout saving in the 30% range here, surely not would I expect when someone write "a fraction".

There might also some differences in quality (how hard to climp, how much for the upkeep, how long till it has to be replaced). So nothing really that newsworthy.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Well, except for the ones who use the border crossings, so we can check identification and search their possessions for contraband and such.

11. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

LMAO . Now that is a thought :D
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019 ---
    True. I will take faster cheaper though. ;)

12. raqball macrumors 68000

100% true...

The house would instantly pass funding for it and it would be more than needed. The lefts media arms would be praising (D) for securing the border..

13. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am all for a more effective and smart barrier system (only a wall with no detection system is idiotic).

However I read this part
    "Fisher said, (snip) came up with a new and cheaper way to build. A patent is pending on the fence installation process, which is not done the same as other wall projects because of a different type of excavator Caterpillar will make specifically for this project."

A NEW, and UN-BUILT heavy equipment, yet to be patented.

RED FLAGS ALL OVER!!

We all know that most projects that relay on major new equipment that is just a concept don't work out, or go massively into cost overruns.
    There is MANY cases, in both parties, of such projects costing taxpayers billions. It could be the Republican Solyndra.

Come back when that key piece of equipment is built and builds a mile of wall, THEN you have solid numbers to truly make a reliable estimate.

14. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I think you are over-angsting this. They demoed it and apparently all worked well. The patent (looking to see if I can find more detail) is likely just a new design of trenching tool.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

While neglecting the other ones that find other ways in, making the entire premise of having a wall all but completely null. Got it.

BL.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

Do you happen to have a link to the video demo?

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, I would like to see that.
    AND more details on the machine than a couple of promises.

I have heard of way too many time the government wasted money on big promises that failed, sometimes spectacularly.

I concur!

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why would we do that?

19. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I saw this on WE

SO, the "great innovation" is linking together more segments on a frame and install once???
    I would agree it could speed up the installation, but not significantly.
    Also, where is all the talk about other features? Do not see.

BTW, I noticed the trench is only about 3, maybe 4 foot down. Not that hard to tunnel under.
    I thought Chaos45 promised it will be 10 foot in?

21. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

The trench is 6 feet deep according to the news cast that carried it. Some tye of fiber optic carried detection system is built into it to detect things like tunneling.
    *snip* from Post 1 link
    The technology would increase fiberoptic cables planted in the ground, capable of detecting and differentiating between human activity, vehicles, tunneling, and animals up to 40 feet away.

Here is another demo and article from March 14
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...tration-on-how-the-border-wall-might-be-built

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Patent pending doesn't mean unbuilt. You can build all you want while you are waiting for the patent to go through. In fact, given the backlog at the patent office, if you wait to produce your products until the patents come through, your products will be years out of date.

23. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I saw that and the video is linked from this page.
    The trench being dug does not look that deep.
    BUUUUT final trench and added parts are not clear, so that snippet is not a good source.

The words " will make " is what caught my attention, so was not yet made when article made.

I am thinking it is something else they are taking about and not that scaffold seen in video.