Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Great article, just keep an open mind reading this;
    http://www.androidcentral.com/edito...e-went-after-samsung-courtroom#comment-323420

To quote Jonyah;
    Another thing this lackluster announcement did today was make the new CEO look bad. It set the tone for Apple's future. For his first announcement, it needed to be good. Today's announcement was nothing more than some software updates to bring features that have been missing for years and a slight bump in the iphone specs. That's not good for Mr Cook. He's got a tough road ahead of him now.

2. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

This phone was so cheap to make. They already had the design from iPhone 4 and a chip from iPad. They did nothing new. A company that has so much money does this????!!!!!! This is such a DISASTER and a DISAPPOINTMENT. I hope that people are smart enough to understand this.

3. 2IS macrumors 68030

That's not true... The camera is new :p

But yeah, I agree.

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still thinking this is a bad dream, we wake up tomorrow, to an e-mail that says "Oh yeah, one more thing..." and the iPhone5 is coming instead.

But then I woke up, and realized Apple is a business to make money, and lots of it. They love iSheep, and koolaid drinkers. This takes balls of steel for Apple to re-release the iPhone4 as the 4S and call it new.

Innovation :rolleyes:

5. shandyman Suspended

haha it's funny, the specs announced match the specs for the supposed iPhone 5 which people were loving, but since they kept the iPhone 4 design, people are hating on it?!

i bet if they'd changed the design slightly people would be singing Apple's praises.

shallow indeed!

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Have you not been paying attention to Apple for the last bunch of product cycles? They create something, refine it, and only then continue to innovate :cool:

The other phone manufacturers are only now catching up with Retina-like screens (lower-res qHD mostly), industrial design is nowhere near the iPhone 4's, Android isn't nearly as polished as iOS, etc.

There's really no reason to change course until next year...

7. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Actually, a lot of people expected the iPhone 5 to have a larger screen, 1 GB of RAM, new materials (people apparently don't like the glass scratching on the iPhone 4) and something that would show some sort of effort and/or innovation. Y'know...the things that every other company out there are expected to have.

----------

Exactly. And that's why people are disappointed.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Well if you know your loyal followers and hype will drive record sales regardless if you keep the design the same then what is the motivation to change?

9. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

We don't know it hasn't got 1GB Ram yet. agreed the screen is disappointment.. I've seen a few Android devices that look great with 4inch screens but i can live with that.

As for the glass problem.. I've had my iPhone for about 13 months now and i work in a dusty electronic workshop.. the phone is in my pocket with my change most of the time and it doesn't have the slightest scratch on it.

The people who are scratching and breaking them would do that to any device they had made in any material they built it in.. maybe they need to invent 'unobtanium!'

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

Uh, that they could have had even MORE sales and POSITIVE media, not to mention customer feedback, maybe?

The Android market is huge, and a big reason why a lot of people go with Android is screen size. The 4s may still be the best selling phone model but as a whole I think iOS is going to lose more ground to Android in the phone market because of this. Apple could have pretty much assured a market swing in their favor by actually introducing a real successor (iPhone 5)

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Perhaps "a lot of people" shouldn't have put so much faith in idiot "analysts" and vague rumors, many of which were pushed by case manufacturers that found a great marketing strategy to get their products featured on every tech blog on the Internet. (You do realize that's what they were doing, right?)

And given Apple's history of iPhone releases, a redesign and overhaul were very unlikely. The iPhone 4S should have been what everyone was expecting.

12. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I don't have a iPhone 4 so I can't comment on their durability. I just threw that in because I've seen a lot of threads on this site complaining about how easy the glass on the back of the phone scratches (I don't believe on the screen itself).

As for the unobtanium, as long as you put an apple brand on it, it'll be worth it's weight in gold. :p

13. 78-bit macrumors newbie

Apple only failed rabid, irrational fanboys with unrealistic expectations.

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Well... why not just wait until next year to get those "even MORE sales and POSITIVE media"?

I mean its not like they are going to reinvent the wheel everytime... that's a game you can't win so why not lock in the 3gs people with a smaller screen this year and then guarantee more sales the following year?

I'm sure Apple plans this yearly stuff ahead of time. Even though we only have a "OMG Apple needs to absolutely demolish the market this year or else they are through!" type of thinking. They are probably thinking "Ok we know we have the #1 phone sales wise and a very loyal fan base... how can we marginally improve our product so that next year we can marginally improve it again and continue the cycle?"

15. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

How were the expectations irrational and/or unrealistic?

Bigger screen - not possible?
    RAM - 1GB RAM in a phone is impossible?
    New form factor - shouldn't expect one from a "new" product release?

Basically what you're saying is to have low expectations from Apple...that way no one will be disappointed?

It's technology FFS! Of course people expect innovation and forward-thinking...they don't expect things to be the same!

Hope you don't have the same type of mentality when choosing a man/woman...:rolleyes:

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

1. With a device that people expect to carry around in their pockets and/or purse, bigger is not always better.

2. What does the extra RAM really get you? What about the fact that virtually all other internal components were significantly upgraded?

3. Historically speaking, no, one shouldn't expect that.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Wow...I'm truly surprised by the amount of people that are satisfied with the "status quo" of the industry. Now I don't blame Apple at all...heck, if I could charge top dollar for "status quo" and still remain the top-seller then why the eff not?

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

I didn't say I was going to buy one. My point is that the 4S seems like an entirely reasonable upgrade and probably what any sane person should have expected it to be.

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Agreed :)

If people want to complain about Apple being cocky with their dominance and not giving us the features they want then they really only have themselves to blame since they were they ones that ok'd Apples prior behavior with their wallets ;)

It would be like having a gold-digging ***** of a girlfriend that doesn't really care about you but you stick by her and keep giving her your money. Then when she doesn't give you what you want you get mad at her? :p

Complainers have no one but themselves (and their wallets) to blame...

20. swaggy61 macrumors newbie

Apple has just played catch up with the Samsung and Android

Overall the 4S is just an evolution of a good product. Part of a strategy to work with the telcos. unfortunately apple are now in the catch up game with IOS 5 including features already available in android and the iCloud solution mimicking Google. The 4s is now equal with the samsung SII except for build quality and retina display. The display can be discounted as the SII has a bigger screen and brighter screen.

lets see what samsung announce next week.

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I would rather have high pixel density rather than a bigger screen like an S2 with low resolution for its size.

So with the rumored specs of the Nexus Prime, having a high ppi on a big screen is gonna be perfect.

22. swaggy61 macrumors newbie

agree look what the samsung sII is about and discussion on specs for the SIII which should be out at the same time as the 5. IOS 5 now playing catching up with Android on feature basis. 4S is about evolving the current product set. making an iPhone 3 and 4 cheaper but still maintaing and high end product.

lets see what happens in the new year.

23. 2IS macrumors 68030

It's a game they'll have to win because at the rate Android is advancing, marginal improvements are not going to cut it in the long term. Overall I'd still say the iPhone is the best phone on the market, but where it use to be head and shoulders above the rest, it is now more or less equal and is simply a matter of preference. A few more "marginal" releases and the iPhone will start to look pretty mediocre compared to a lot of other phones. A lot of people think that's where it's at now in fact.

24. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You're remarkably fortunate. In my experience the glass can easily sustain scratches even when the user is very careful.

In fact, the lack of 'durability' is my only real complaint with Apple products. Look at the back of an iPod Touch as perhaps the worst example.

Seems wrong that you should need to buy protective skins or covers when the product costs so much in the first place.

25. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

Hey do you guys think it is possible that whatever happened in the courtroom, cancelled or delayed the release of the iPhone 5?