Now with the reviews out. Do you feel that the iPhone X surpasses the iPhone 4 WOW factor?

Equally or more magical than the 4 ?

• Yes - Equally

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • MORE

Votes: 52 53.6%

• Total voters

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I know we still haven't used it personally.
But. We have a very good idea of how it's going to be with all the reviewers and the specs of it.
I mean Face ID is beginning to sound MUCH better than what we all were expecting at first. Maybe even more than Touch ID which has a lot of failed attempts when the fingers are a bit dirty or wet or even if it's not placed at the right angle and can easily be bypassed EASIER.
Gestures IS the future and it not only saves screen space but it's quicker than a home button. Also the 1st OLED iPhone which is a huge update. Saves power and it's created by Samsung with Apple's color calibration. There's so much things to do with the iPhone X. It's highly future proof. So much potential for utilizing all it's hardware in many ways possible.
iPhone 4 was magical for it's time. But the only real update it had was the upgrade to retina display and the front facing camera.
While the iPhone X is the first iPhone with an OLED display that covers almost 100% of the front of the phone if it weren't for the important notch. And Face ID which is a revolutionary security feature which no one will top it for a few years and it would be way more convenient than Touch ID in most ways. Gestures is also the biggest difference in software change since the 1st iPhone. Wireless charging.
iPhone X is simply a beast. While still being highly portable and one handed use and having a bigger screen than the regular iPhone 7.

2016 iPhone 7 Plus ----> 2017 iPhone X
is a bigger update/more important than the 2009 iPhone 3GS ---> 2010 iPhone 4
in many ways.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I’d say it’s close but not quite. The iPhone 4 was amazing for the time when it was announced. I still think it’s a beautifully designed phone and the upgraded display was a game changer back in 2010. I was blown away when I got mine.

Reactions: Titleist

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I’d say it’s close but not quite. The iPhone 4 was amazing for the time when it was announced. I still think it’s a beautifully designed phone and the upgraded display was a game changer back in 2010. I was blown away when I got mine.
IF Steve Jobs announced the iPhone X. It would of been more surprising for people to hear than Tim Cook explaining.
Tim doesn't have the same energy to make people be surprised. But I am sure that once we use the X we would be in awe because of how different it is than everyone other phone. It's also the biggest change in software ever. The way we use phones and all that technology that we would never thought exist just 2-3 years ago. Imagine 10 years ago telling someone we would have a face recognition for unlocking our iPhones and also works at night time.

Reactions: walex19

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
IF Steve Jobs announced the iPhone X. It would of been more surprising for people to hear than Tim Cook explaining.
Tim doesn't have the same energy to make people be surprised. But I am sure that once we use the X we would be in awe because of how different it is than everyone other phone. It's also the biggest change in software ever. The way we use phones and all that technology that we would never thought exist just 2-3 years ago. Imagine 10 years ago telling someone we would have a face recognition for unlocking our iPhones and also works at night time.
We knew (almost) everything about the phone before it was announced at the keynote.

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I’d say “No”. Mostly because this device is loaded with amazing new features.... that nobody asked for.

FaceID - Cool “option” for security but not a replacement for TouchID

No Bezel! - People wanted the huge chin and forehead to be reduced but not eliminated to the point where you get that unibrow obscuring the screen

New Gestures - New gestures are going to be tough. We’ve been trained to use these things blindfolded so to now have Swipes moves all around and Home button elimination then we’re kearning a new UI that is very different from our iPads.

Two-Handed Phoning - This may be Apples most two handed iOS product ever. Wirh a larger screen and no home button (or reachability) then we’ll often find ourselves reaching everywhere. That’s something not only new to us, but against Apples own previous words.

I’m not hating on the X. Mine is coming Friday. But this is probably the iphone I have the least excitement for.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
iPhone 4 will still be the best launch of any new smartphone in our generation, until that one company knocks it out of the park with design, features, technology and battery life.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I’d say “No”. Mostly because this device is loaded with amazing new features.... that nobody asked for.

No Bezel! - People wanted the huge chin and forehead to be reduced but not eliminated to the point where you get that unibrow obscuring the screen

New Gestures - New gestures are going to be tough. We’ve been trained to use these things blindfolded so to now have Swipes moves all around and Home button elimination then we’re kearning a new UI that is very different from our iPads.

Two-Handed Phoning - This may be Apples most two handed iOS product ever. Wirh a larger screen and no home button (or reachability) then we’ll often find ourselves reaching everywhere. That’s something not only new to us, but against Apples own previous words.

I’m not hating on the X. Mine is coming Friday. But this is probably the iphone I have the least excitement for.
What did the iPhone 4 have that people asked for? Nothing.

Exactly. It was just a prettier version of what came before it with a better display. There more innovations with XPhone than with 4.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Answer to the OP is no, but this is nonsense:

You're unable to make that judgement. At this stage we have to presume that Apple wouldn't make something that doesn't work and hasn't been meticulously tested. You know, like Touch ID was.

No Bezel!People wanted the huge chin and forehead to be reduced but not eliminated to the point where you get that unibrow obscuring the screen
You don't get to represent 'people', only yourself. From the polls here and feedback elsewhere, it seems like nobody is at all bothered about the "unibrow". It's one of those things a small number of people obsess over, but if you look at the hands on, it's clear this is a very minor things that won't make much difference at all. The notch vs bezels is no contest.

You have to learn something new that will give you a better overall experience and a better phone? Aww.

There's an awful lot of reaction to this phone on this forum which has been utter rubbish.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I remember people being pissed at the new iPhone 4 design when it was leaked before the keynote. That all changed after the keynote obviously. I feel the same way about Face ID and the notch. People will end up liking it

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Gesture control could be added via software updates for previous iPhones. There is no need for a special hardware component to do it. Think All-One-Gesture and Nova Launcher on Android.

Waiting if Apple decides to add it on future firmware updates. My SE is close to perfect as is. I just need a software update to emulate the gesture controls. Physical home button and Assistive Touch feels archaic.

winmac2015

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2015
So many people complaining about a home button and a headphone jack and don't even realize the bigger picture. Augmented reality is the future, and we have it in the palm of our hands. Open your minds a little.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Aa for the question, we can't really say yet. Retina and FaceTime were big deals back then. FaceTime is still being used today and more than Siri.

Based from keynotes, the X bored me to tears. The 4 was the last SJ announced. Go watch that keynote. SJ goes, "Now stop me if you have seen this before?" The crowd erupted with laughter. Steve's wit was magic.

The 2G and 4 were the best keynotes for an iPhone. 2G tops both 4 and X because of multi-touch. That was mind blowing when we first saw that. So was Cover Flow.

This is prisoner of the moment you are feeling right now.

syncopy

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2016
I would say yes. The smaller bezels, larger screen, FaceID, and camera are such a huge leap over the past few generations of iPhones. I loved the iPhone 4 mostly due to it's Retina display and design, but it didn't provide any additional functional or ergonomic improvements over the 3GS like the X does over the 7 & 7+.

macdragonfl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
X is an amazing jump in technical hardware made smaller, also updates to the way you interact with it. The 4 was a elevation of materials and design. It would have been nice if Apple finally used their option and made the back of the X Liquid Metal. It would have truly justified the price and in spirit of the iPhone 4 took it to the next level. Unfortunately they looked back.