NPR fires Juan Williams - Huckabee calls for ending NPR funding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 21, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Juan Williams on Bill O'Reilly's show:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/10/21/npr.analyst.fired/index.html

After the firing, Mike Huckabee's reaction:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...s-on-congress-to-cut-npr-funding/#more-130000

I would have liked it if Bill would have asked Juan whether it was acceptable for a white woman to say she was nervous when a black man gets on an elevator. That could have been an interesting discussion. I think a reasonable discussion about bias and fears could have come from this interview and the situation, but as it is, Juan just looks like he is prejudiced against Muslims. Even so, was the quote taken out of context? Should NPR have fired him; is that censorship? Oh, and what about Huckabee's call to defund NPR?!?!?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

**** Huckabee.

The GOP has systematically been dismantling important organizations that interfere with their crap. Look at Acorn.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well we can say for certainty that Huckabee is totally overreacting. I can't imagine that NPR is expensive.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

1. Huckabee's a douche.

2. The firing seems a little extreme. But many commentators have been fired over stupid comments: Rick "elite, Northeast establishment liberals," Sanchez, Jimmy "The black is the better athlete," the Greek, Howard "Look at that monkey run," Cosell, Ben "Women's boobs get in the way of their golf swing," Wright...

It's a rich history. :rolleyes:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I read that NPR gets 2% of it's funding from the federal government. Peanuts.

Huckabee (and Palin, who said the same thing - or attempted to, in 140 characters or less) are full of ****. Again.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, Mike, Bill and Juan - what if someone "identifies themselves first and foremost" as Christians? Hmmm? Is that ok?

Every time someone gets caught saying something bigoted, they run to Fox News and have a cry on Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck's shoulder. Shameful.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree the quote was taken massively out of context and they fired him over it. Then again NPR was doing some CYA because you know that some of the other media outlets would of jump on it to bash NPR. Remember the media stop caring about the truth a long time ago.

After he made that statement I agree with you O'Reilly should of ask the question is it ok for a white woman to get nerves if a black man is in the elevator with her. It could of lead to a very good talk.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So what, we're talking $10 million or something?

9. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

So Mike Huckabee supports Americans being afraid of Muslims? What a stupid thing for him to throw his support behind...

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

NPR can fire whoever they like for whatever reason. Huckabee is an ass too.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually this was one of the rare times I've watched O'Reilly this year and I saw Juan make these comments. I believe the context was about how people can identify more with their religion than with being just a regular old human being-- or something like that. There were three people arguing all at once and BillO interrupting everyone and Juan may have just got caught up in it.

Recently I've seen Juan Williams on FNC way more than I've heard him on NPR, maybe they just thought he'd be fine without NPR.

12. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Maybe it's because they tend to blow themselves up.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

All 1.5 billion of them? :eek:

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Muslims tend to blow themselves up? Wow. That's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear in a "Worst Person in the World" segment.

I have to agree. I don't know enough about Williams, but on the surface, that sounded like a stupid remark. Certainly not the worst one I've heard, though. obeygiant's post certainly provides some interesting context. What we really need is a video of the exchange.

I find Huckabee's reaction more outrageous, though. Huckabee sits on his high throne at Fox, a company which makes a living on idiotic comments and which can't be "defunded" (more's the pity), and he's got the nerve to dictate what should happen to NPR? Gimme a freakin' break. The sheer hypocrisy is enough to make you vomit.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Congrats! You've just won the Most Hilariously Ill-Named Member Award!!!

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

That would be IntelliUsed-up.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can understand people fear of seeing someone dressed up in Muslim garb on a plane making them nervous. I see nothing wrong with that part. The key part is the logical side of the brain taking over and over riding the fear.

Heck I know I had had my first reaction in the past when I have seen Muslim garb to be a little nervous (very little but I know what my first though was) but it has past sense I pretty see it at least once a day now when I go up to campus and I have over heard enough convocations to know that they are just rest of us and I can tell they will pretty much interact with other people just like everyone else.
    They are normal people but if you do not see it very often it takes some time before you have to over ride the first reaction.
    I will say they say hi just like everyone else. Ask them how they are doing and they answer like everyone else.

I noticed people react the same way when they see someone different that what they are used to seeing. Their are prejudge sights and it takes time to over ride it.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't see what is frightening about "muslim garb".

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And NPR didn't?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They did, but I think it was to prevent the obvious onslaught of GOP attacks that would be sure to come.

This is what they do, find an issue, blow it up, and use it to effectively destroy an organization that counters their messages and actions. NPR has always been regarded as a "liberal" organization by the right. This is the same BS they pulled to destroy Acorn, which did great things for the poor.

21. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Because the ACORN videos were the only thing exposing ACORN corruption at any time anywhere since the organization formed? And therefore Fox News was being evil by destroying the "illustrious" organization that did no wrong and all the numerous counts of voter registration fraud in multiple states are a GOP lie?

Acorn was an organization that should have been charged under the RICO statute long before the Acorn videos came out.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well I'm not sure, which is why I didn't mention NPR.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

If they have editorial standards and he violated them then of course he should be let go. If I don't trim my beard at my work then I am in violation of their dress code and I would be let go. It's their decision.

I'm sure it says in his contract to not generalize large religious groups as terrorists. :p

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

In some ways it seems like a knee-jerk reaction, but the appearance on Fox News really damages Williams' credibility. What he said (regardless of the fact that it was manipulated by Fox) sounds like simple, ignorant prejudice.

Being nervous having people in traditional muslim dress on a plane is not in itself a demonstration of bigotry, but by turning it into a debate about people who don't "look" American/patriotic whatever, it begins to cross the line.

For the record, the 9/11 bombers were not wearing "muslim garb", and Timothy McVeigh was not a Muslim at all.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Let's dumb down Americans even more. :rolleyes: People who get their news through PBS/NPR are some of the best informed in America.