NPR: The Democratic Party Got Crushed During The Obama Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Nov 12, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

In case the Liberals and Democrats on PRSI haven't yet grasped the magnitude of the disaster that engulfed the Democratic Party last Tuesday, here's a tally of the damage:

March 4, 2016 - MARA LIASSON

The GOP may be in the midst of an identity crisis, but the Democratic Party is also facing a political crisis that could be made a lot worse if it doesn't win the White House in November.​

Whoops! Guess we know how that turned out.

Here's why:

Part of President Obama's legacy is the health of his party. He's had many successes in office — health care reform, climate change regulations, Wall Street reform — but his legacy will also include one huge failure: a diminished Democratic Party.

Every president sees his party lose hundreds of positions — it's the price a party holding the White House pays — but no president has come close to Obama. During Obama's eight years in office, the Democrats have lost more House, Senate, state legislative and governors seats than under any other president.

When Obama took office, there were 60 Democratic senators; now there are 46. The number of House seats held by Democrats has shrunk from 257 to 188.

There are now nine fewer Democratic governors than in 2009. Democrats currently hold fewer elected offices nationwide than at any time since the 1920s.
    So should the Democrats shut their party down and try creating a new one? One without the taint of Liberalism, smug elitism, and failure?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On the other hand by 2024 Texas will be solid blue so...

3. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If Trump hadn't won and the Democrats continued their open borders policies, you're right. But I hope we're going to dodge that bullet.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The people who make up the 2 million extra latinos in Texas each cycle are already citizens...

And the mid west will probably switch back to voting Democratic - that is if it doesn't fall apart.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama also set a very dangerous precedent of governing via Executive Order.

6. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

If Obama were a car he would be a fiat.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm sure trump will too. And if congress won't do anything it's fair play.

8. zin macrumors 6502

If the Democrats lose just one more state legislature, they lose the ability to stop constitutional amendments.

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

Trump will think of a way. It may mean deportation to the East--- erm, South.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

People actually think Obama cared about the Democratic Party? He cared about it as much as Trump cares about the Republican Party. These guys are two sides of the same coin. It's no shock to me that after 8 years of Obama we got Trump.

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nope. The wall will stop that.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No, that's being too kind. A Yugo.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The wall won't make a blind bit of difference, the people who are going to change Texas' voting makeup are already there.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

This is something that is overlooked, but a huge deal. The Democrats can come back, but first off... stop talking down to all of us who live in the Rust Belt, Midwest, South, etc. I know we live in flyover country and we are full of tobacco chewing, beer drinking, country boys (and gals), but our college educated rate isn't much different from the liberal areas of New England and the West Coast. I can't speak for the deep South, but in many of these rural areas people are not racist or against rights for gays. I'm gay and live in this so called terrible area and I'm treated well by most people. If someone did do something to me because of it I'd have a whole little army to help me defend myself.

With that said, the elitist, we're better then you attitudes within the modern progressive movement does not go over well in the middle of the country. Back in the day you had Dems that could speak to the middle of the country, but the I'm better then you attitude has taken over. I'm telling those of you who never come out of your blue states or very blue metro areas people in these red areas hate that!

Right after Trump won my very liberal cousin tried to shame everyone who voted for anybody but Hillary. Calling them all uneducated, insincere, stupid, piles of dog crap. Sorry that won't work to get voters. I said that Joe Biden would have won the Rust Belt because he would have got up there and spoke directly to Joe Six Pack. Hillary? Not a chance.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Election+2016+by+US+Counties.png Screenshot_20161113-093711.png Maybe the Democratic party needs to get back to Howard Dean's 50 State strategy. What's happening right now will never win them Congress, Governorships or State Houses. This same focus on Urban only areas has now cost them the White House.

Don't look down at the working class from middle America calling them uneducated rednecks. Talk to them. Figure out their needs. Dial back on the wedge issues and present things in a more inclusive way.

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

There's no identity crisis on the right. The left just went too far when they were given the chance to do so. The GOP will hopefully be measured in their response. There is a very good opportunity here to keep it all for some time should they be measured in their actions to counter the insanity brought by the left the past eight years.

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Here is a very interesting graphic for anyone who is interested to see how the country has changed in their voting patterns by county over time from 1952 to today. Some elections show a lot more change then others, but one thing that stands out most to me is the Democrats really need to work towards rebuilding a 1992 and 1996 map. Yes Bill Clinton ran very well across the entire country.

I understand that is 20 years ago and things have changed, but why was Bill Clinton so successful when everyone in the rural areas voted against his wife? What has changed about the party in these 20 years? Did they use up all their capital over the years or have they started to speak differently to their voters? Obama won pretty convincing victories, but you can see the map was even deteriorating for him. So I say to anyone here who wants the Democrats to regain the Congress and the Presidency in 2020 what can you do to bring more people? Just calling all of rural America "dumb uneducated racist rednecks" is not working.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/11/daily-chart-7

Anyhow take some time to review the maps. They are pretty interesting to look at.