NRA-affiliated businesses shed ties after Parkland, Florida school shooting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Feb 23, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Bad time to be affiliated with an association who puts the protection of assault weapons ahead of the lives of our children.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So far, I count 5 major companies:

Symantec.
    MetLife.
    Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
    Alamo Rent-a-Car.
    National Rent-a-Car.

The nation's largest privately-held bank just dropped them as well: First National Bank of Omaha.

My only gripe about them is that they should have done this immediately after Sandy Hook, let alone Columbine and others. It shouldn't have taken them this long, but I'll take it.

BL.

3. Solomani, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

A vast number of American teenagers are absolutely charged by what happened with the Florida mass shooting, they are equally charged and furious at the GOP's patronizing and sometimes vile responses (e.g. victim shaming by Fox News).

I'm proud of these teenagers. Many of them will be voters in the next few years. Some will be able to vote as soon as they graduate from HS (or earlier).

The Republican Party's days are numbered, even if Trump is never impeached. The upcoming generation of young American voters will give the GOP the long-deserved arse-kicking.

But the only question is…. will the teens actually show up at the voting booths on Election Day? Statistics show that young Americans are the biggest segment of no-shows during elections. But if they are sooooo charged and sooooo energized that they went out of their way to bus themselves hundreds of miles to attend DC marches/rallies and Town Halls to confront Trump, there is a glimmer of hope for these future voters.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Why companies were giving NRA Members, who tend to have lots of money anyways, a discount is beyond me...

:eek:

5. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not a fan of them but whenever I see someone who has a NRA sticker on their car I worry about them being vandalized, during this movements it's probably not a good time to be showing your pride.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This country is so polarized I wouldn't put any stickers on my car regardless of who/what they supported.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It depends on where they live. An openly NRA supporter is probably fine and won't face any vandals if he lives in a conservative part of Texas or Montana.

But it's different if you have a pro-NRA sticker on your old Mitsubishi Galant in San Francisco.

8. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

^ True that. My wife refused to let me put an Obama sticker on my car for that very reason.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Your wife is a smart woman.

10. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I don't put political party affiliations on my cars at all. I affiliate with America. My loyalty is to the USA, not to one of the two main political parties. I'm a registered independent, so I vote and support whomever would be best for the nation, be they Dem or GOP or Green Party or Purple Party or whatever.

Labels (and hence stickers) themselves are often polarizing. They make a distinction between "us and them". As I get older, I find such label concepts unnecessary and unwise.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Okay, someone catch me up. A crazy person shot up a school, and the anger is at... the NRA? This shooter wasn't a member. He wasn't an advocate for them. In fact, it'd probably be safe to assume he had no connection to them at all. So, why are people mad at the NRA? A gun is inherently neutral. If left alone, it collects dust. If picked up, it only aims and fires at the target its user dictates. We're not facing off against autonomous guns, we're up against people wanting to do harm.

Do people boycott Toyota when a fleet of their vehicle appear in ISIS videos, or protest airlines after the terrorist attacks? Or nail companies after subway attacks, or knife makers after stabbings?

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

When are they going to start boycotting the Broward County sheriff’s office? Or the Miami field office if the FBI?

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

On the other hand, putting controversial stickers on your Mitsubishi Galant is a good way to distract onlookers from the shame of driving a Mitsubishi Galant.

14. 0007776 Suspended

The NRA advocates for guns for everyone including mentally deranged people. Guns unlike cars or the other items that you use in your comparison are designed specifically to kill or destroy things. The anger at the NRA is because they are the ones who work to prevent the government from passing laws that would have prevented attacks like this one.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Come on. Even you know the answer to this one. And yes, I'll say it. Deflection/straw man noted.

BTW, Hertz has just joined the list of businesses that dropped the NRA's support.

BL.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

There is no need. They have already been Twitter-shamed by the Orangutan-in-Chief. There is no greater punishment than that.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 4.55.13 PM.png

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So, the FBI, Broward County Sheriff's Office, et al shouldn't be called out for their mistakes?

18. 0007776 Suspended

They can be called out for their mistakes, but one should also realize it isn’t connected at all to the Russian investigation.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I never said it was. But the level of incompetence by the FBI and others is just astounding.

red flags.jpg

20. 0007776 Suspended

Then you should have clarified that you didn’t agree with the trump tweet in the post you were quoting.

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

He's using scapegoating as his easy deflection from the Russian investigation. Instead, he should have simply stuck to what a good POTUS would have done, console the nation and the grieving community by vowing that he will have the courage to make changes that will prevent (or at least greatly reduce the chances) of these mass school shootings from happening in the future.

Criticizing the FBI and incompetent law officers is not "wrong", but it wasn't what was needed at this time. He could have easily done that later down the line.

And having the courage means he will make the real changes needed to address these issues, even if it riles his politically expedient allies (the NRA).

You know…. political courage is rare among national leaders. Not everyone has it. It only comes once in a rare blue moon. A good example was Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. He gave real peace with Israel a chance. And he made it happen. Even if it angered bazillions of his own countrymen. And it led to his assassination.

22. LizKat, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The NRA buys support for the gun manufacturers by financing the re-election campaigns of Congress critters. That is what people are sick of.

We elect Congressional representatives and delegate the creation of legislation to them. But the NRA is essentially controlling our gun laws and laws in other areas (medicine and public health, for instance) at the intersection with gun violence, wherever the NRA feels data collection about gun violence might threaten some aspect of current interpretations of the Second Amendment.

We have election after election and no matter the results, the Congress still defers to the NRA on gun-related issues. When did we the voters ask for that arrangement?!

HowItWorks.jpg

Most of the changes to gun laws in the interest of common sense restraint and public safety have to be pushed through state legislatures, which guarantees a patchwork effect in our laws from region to region or state to state. That in turn makes it possible for workarounds by people visiting adjacent areas with looser laws if they cannot get what they want legally where they live.

23. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I just upped my NRA membership for another 5 years. Many people I know are doing the same. I’m sure it’s happening through out the Country including getting new members. Threatening the NRA just gives the people more of a reason to donate.

24. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Good for you. NRA will need it, since they are losing millions upon millions of dollars in corporate sponsors and deals.

Companies Are Starting to Back Away From the Gun Industry and NRA

25. 0007776 Suspended

I’m sure Al-Queda got some extra funding after they pulled off the 9/11 attacks. It didn’t help them too much long term, hopefully the NRA goes the way of other terrorist organizations