NRA Convention Bans Guns To Protect Mike Pence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IWantItThatWay, Apr 29, 2018.

1. IWantItThatWay Suspended

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nra-convention-bans-guns-protect-012331621.html

I am pro-guns, but this is hypocritical. People will say it's the Secret Service but that doesn't absolve the hypocrisy because the argument is that "good guys with a gun" make places safer and "gun-free zones" make an area MORE dangerous.

If people can legally conceal the guns shouldn't be banned from the convention. This kind of hypocrisy gets me annoyed and frustrated.

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Not really a big deal. They did the same thing last year when 45 spoke.

Let me clarify, the NRA being hypocritical isn't really a big deal.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

This is actually why I was an NRA member back in the day. I would argue that those attending would have been vetted by the US SS. This is, to me, the NRA flip-flopping like a fish. I stopped being an NRA member when they got too political and began running ads on huge budgets. I wanted my money going towards gun education, safety, scholarships, and taking responsible young adults to those neat rifle competitions (like the Olympics).

The NRA needs a new head and lead committee. I've got some friends in the Carolinas who are pissed off about this. I think the only danger to Mr. Pence at this event would be any woman who isn't his wife or any male member who may arouse him.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 29, 2018 ---
    Fowl hunting season? Jokes aside, I don't think 45 or Sessions is liked by the NRA given their proposed devices ban.

But are you surprised? I very much doubt 45 has ever hunted let alone touched a gun in his life. There's one picture I came across months ago of Trump wearing a sweater and glasses in his limo. I've been watching Trump since the early 80s and that's one of the few times I've seen the guy in casual clothing (aside from his visits to Texas and PR).

4. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

You know, with how many people are getting Weinstein'd, Pence staying loyal to his wife is looking very smart.

5. Zenithal macrumors 604

He either doesn't trust himself or his wife controls him. He wasn't this uptight a long time ago.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If this was the SS’s idea then the NRA needs to make that very clear. Otherwise, this is a bad look, especially since they constantly bashing individuals/groups looking to put any restrictions on guns.

7. IWantItThatWay thread starter Suspended

I bet Tom Brokaw wishes he took Mike's lead lol.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

45 or Sessions may not be liked by NRA members, but they are loved by it's organizational leadership and see them as staunch allies. One of the reasons many believed that 45 has passed on discussing some specific shootings as opposed to others, is to not rile the NRA and it's membership.

9. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Or maybe he, as a high-profile man, sees no upside and only downside in being alone with a woman who isn’t his wife?

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

How in the world would you expect the Secret Service to vet every single person going into a function where the Vice President is appearing?

Better question: if they could vet that many people on that short notice, why don't they do it EVERYWHERE the President or Vice President appear?

Sounds to me like you want to bag on the NRA. Take all the shots you like, but you're way off-target with this one.

They did that very thing. Did you even check?

https://www.nraam.org/events/2018-events/friday-may-4/nra-ila-leadership-forum/

11. Zenithal, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

E-Tix and other major ticket vendors take your name during the purchase period. If asked by the SS, they can hand over the purchase records for said event. Having used ETix myself in the past, they do print your first and last name.

It's not hard to go through 100K names once you put in a few parameters. No one does this by hand.

You can remove all adults older than 60.
    You can flag adults who've been arrested once or more in any of the 50 states.
    You can disregard parking and speeding tickets.
    Years of NRA membership.

The list goes on. It's safe to say in a post-Snowden world, Big G knows more about people than people think they do.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, so they get a list of 100k names and then...what? The VP's safety is guaranteed? If it's that simple, why do we even need a Secret Service?

It's absolutely ludicrous that you're grasping so desperately at the straw that blames the NRA for the Secret Service doing its job.

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

You're the one grasping at straws. The NRA doesn't even let guns on their campus except the shooting range. The NRA could have declined to have Pence speak and stuck to their values. But they flopped like a fish.

I'm not the one getting worked up over this. You are.

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A long time ago? You mean like when he was 8?

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Question is, why would anyone complain about this? You guys can't part with your "precious" for a moment?

You think someone is going strive for the dumbest criminal award and commit a mass shooting at a NRA convention?

Don't ya'll have so much unconditional trust in the authorities to keep ya'll safe?

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Well, to take a moment to trigger a few...

You have to consider what group of people commit most of our bigger mass shootings.

You also have to consider what group is most likely to go to a NRA convention.

Literally, what they are doing is the common sense definition of 'safety first'.

Ironically, a large portion of the marketing & sub text will directed at those same people needing guns to protect themselves from the group of people least likely to go to a NRA convention.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Exactly, if someone does target that place, it most likely won't be the type that's going to use a gun. But rather the type that will use explosives. Can't shoot your way out of something that goes ...... BOOM!!!

19. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Which makes him either paranoid or a weirdo fanatic, possibly both. If you're a grown man who can't be alone with a woman you're not married to, you're a nutter who shouldn't be allowed to walk around in public.

...And then what? Hint: digital records don't contain what's inside a person's head.

20. eatrains macrumors 6502

Surely a convention full of good guys with guns could protect Pence from a bad guy with a gun? :rolleyes:

21. juanm, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Oh, but you really believed them when they told you they care about your gun rights, the 2A or the constitution?

That’s adorable.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Anyone intelligent could I’m sure smuggle a gun in.

23. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If you say so.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Of note, Capital Hill is a gun free zone too. Some of our law makers when not pandering to the NRA and gun worshippers actually don't want average armed citizens around them. Can you imagine? How about understand? Oh, and I disagree with the argument. :D

25. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac