NRA harrassing my dad daily at his business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Apr 4, 2013.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Just had my final straw and chewed the moron out over the phone. Told him this is a private business, stop calling here, and my father and I believe you should have to give your left nut to own a gun, we are not supporters of the second amendment. He told me he wants to update us on "what's going on with the second amendment". We're not NRA members, we most certainly will not give them a donation, and if I get another call from them they will be reported to the proper authorities. Thank you for reading my rant.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You don't like the Bill of Rights, there many nations without natural rights protections.

Let me recommend North Korea.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yeah, that Bill of Rights is a real pain in the ass. Dump it...in fact, dump the whole Constitution.

Yeah, that's it...next step...that stupid Democracy stuff. Probably a Commie trick!

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

There are people who believe that owning a gun isn't a right. Self-defense as a right? Sure, but not gun ownership. It doesn't mean they hate the Bill of Rights or anything. It's that they disagree that guns are a basic human right....

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The two go hand in hand. Especially these days

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Glad those people don't define my "rights"

History is littered with cases of abusive governments. I would argue the 2nd amendment is the most important right there is.

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Guns are simply a tool for self-defense. Doesn't mean it is a right to own that tool.

----------

I would argue it's not. I would argue it's the first amendment.

Franky I am always debating with myself if guns are a right. I don't have any position right now. I'm not for banning guns, but I am not sure if it is a right. I don't have a side on the argument.

9. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Because I don't support the second amendment that makes me anti-American? Pretty funny. I don't think your gun ownership is a right. And I'll openly tell that to any NRA nut, as I did today. I told him to piss off. And i Also love how no one commented about the NRA harassing a private business on a daily basis. I support a complete repeal of the second amendment.

----------

Because your cute little rifles can protect you against our government with their drones. You are a caveman to them, don't you get that? :rolleyes:

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The second amendment was not placed in the Bill of Rights for the purpose of self defense from that of fellow citizens and whatnot. It was there to prevent the aggression of government on its people.

What the 2nd amendment strives to do is to keep the power of the government in check by having an armed population.

At least that is my understanding of it.

11. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Except that doesn't work in 2013.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Don't you get that it is the population that ultimately holds the power, and not the government?

Don't you get that having an armed population, no matter how primitive with its "cute little rifles", will bring any military to its knees? There are ample instances of the US military being ineffective in similar circumstances.

Don't you get that even though the technology of weapons may change, the results will not if the population of a nation has had enough?

The problem with our generation is that we have become so far removed from what things may be in terms of government aggression that we think it's impossible to ever happen.

----------

It most certainly does.

13. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Ha, I beg to differ.

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Test it out and let us know how it goes for ya. I'm not paranoid about government aggression like you conservative types seem to be. It's a sick paranoia. It's OUR government, we shouldn't need guns to protect ourselves against it. That's something that doesn't seem to get through to you people.

15. DakotaGuy, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Then get caller ID and don't answer the phone. I guess you don't have to a supporter of the Second Amendment, but you should realize that it is not going away. No matter how bad you want the Second Amendment repealed and all guns taken (probably requiring force in some cases) it is not going to happen. In fact, public support for any sort of "gun bans" is starting to drop right back down again. People are starting to realize that these bans will only be followed by the people who do not commit the crime.

The biggest thing I see coming from some of the anti-gun crowd is they think the whole issue is guns. Just throw tons of new regulations into the mix and the problem will be solved. The funny thing about that is the places that have some of the tighest gun regulations also have the highest number of gun crimes. Focusing completely on "the gun" seems to be the easy thing to do. We sure don't want to expect any sort of personal responsibility these days do we? As mean as this may sound because she was killed by her son the person most to blame for Newtown was Lanza's mother. She KNEW she had a mentally ill son yet had guns in the house that he was able to access. It seems that most of the anti-gun crowd doesn't want to discuss her role in all of this. Somehow the guns just magically appeared and no one could do anything about it.

16. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I'm not overly paranoid towards our government either, but if you think the government is OUR government you are mistaken.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Shouldn't... No, we agree, that is something that *shouldn't* be necessary.

We *shouldn't* have to worry about car accidents. Why have seatbelts and airbags.

We *shouldn't* have to worry about an invasion. Why have armed forces?

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

There are people who believe that gay marriage isn't a right. It doesn't mean they hate the Bill of Rights or anything. It's that they disagree that guns are a basic human right....

What do the two statements have in common? Both require an initiation of force by the government.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The 2nd amendment comes from a time where many other laws were wacky as hell. I don't think they had 2013 in mind way back in 1791. So while the 2nd amendment is a right, IMO it should be amended which would be nothing new towards our Bill of Rights/Constitution and by whom Republicans did the most. For whatever reason, some feel as if the 2nd amendment is some unchangeable holy scriptor.

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Difference? One is religious based and we shouldn't be governed by religious beliefs.

Like I said though, I'm unsure if it is a right or not. I see the argument of it is to help keep the government in check since governments should fear the people, not the other way around. But, are guns a basic human right though? That is what gets me. Not for banning guns, but unsure if it is a right.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

It doesn't matter if it's religious or not.There are people who aren't religious who don't like gay marriage, even.

Rights are human constructs, they are whatever we make them. But if you hold that the initiation of force is a bad thing, well, it's plain to see taking guns from people and not letting them marry who they want share common ground.

----------

Eh, then you could make the same about the 1st, or 3rd

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just hang up as soon as they start talking about themselves, etc.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Not really, the acceptance of regulation regarding freedom of speech is nothing like the any acceptance of potential new gun control.

The 3rd amendment is basically non relevant in today's society.

Or attempt to have phone sex with them. They will cross you off their list. LOL

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Sorry I meant 4th.

But no, an argument can be equally made to curb limits on free speech. Protest free zones, for example. Arguing that parts of the Constitution aren't relevant isn't a consistent argument. Arguing the whole thing is, would be. Otherwise, you're just cherry picking based on what you think should be relevant. For me, I just say it's more relevant now.

Since we both are just interpreting the document, we're at a stalemate of opinion.

25. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Syria, Iran, and North Korea were the only countries to oppose the UN's latest gun control treaty. Oh, and the NRA. Nice to know they're on the same level.

He simply stated he didn't believe in a single (second) amendment. I'm not sure where you pulled the entire Bill of Rights out of it.

In a way yes, in a way no.