NRA Video Criticizes Obama For Stance On Armed Guards In Schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aerok, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

It's a discussion worth having, IMO. I really would like the NRA to put something forward though that gives some indication about how this type of thing would be paid for.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It wouldn't have to be paid for. Just take away the "gun-free zone" signs and let the problem solve itself. People who can, are willing, and are licensed to do so can choose to arm themselves, while others will not. In the meantime, the bad guys no longer get to look at schools as places where they can pick off defenseless targets unabated; now, there might be someone there who can shoot back. That's enough to make a lot (possibly most) potential terrorists move on.

3. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Didn't really help much during a past event

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/columbine-armed-guards_n_2347096.html

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Those are not armed and trained guards.

Really armed guards do nothing to stop the crazies any how.
    But again how are you going to pay for the armed and trained guards. Get back to me when you cover the training cost and who is going to pay for it. A tax on the sell of every bullet and gun that would go towards that could work.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure if serious, but if you are I think it's the first time I have agreed with you on anything. :confused:

----------

From what I understand their "Rules of engagement" stopped them from doing anything. Not sure if that's true, but rather than paying armed guards, there are plenty of law abiding citizens that carry, but aren't allowed to carry in schools. This would go back to removing the "gun free zone" signs.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My idea was not implemented during that past event.

You completely missed the point of my post.

Most states allow people (who are trained, by the way) to carry a weapon. They pay for their own training, licensing, etc. And it's entirely optional.

I'm absolutely serious. Let teachers, staff, parents, whoever is legally licensed to carry, do so at their own choice and expense. All it would take in many cases is for a potential perpetrator to simply not know whether anybody in the building is armed.

Think about it - most mass shootings occur in places designated as gun-free zones. In other words, places where the bad guy knows there's nobody there to shoot back.

Have you ever wondered why you never read about a mass shooting at the kids' soccer fields on a Saturday in Alabama? Or at a family picnic at the lake in Texas? It's because there's a good chance one or more people there are armed.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I've been saying the same thing (to my friends and family). Glad to know we have some common ground here. As a matter of fact, I think public school staff (at least in NY) make way above average salary. The superintendent, principal, and VP in the small town I grew up in make about from 4 to 8 times the average local salary. I think with the money they make it would hurt to encourage them to carry and put them through quarterly or even biannual marksmanship training.

9. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

I never wonder that when I'm anywhere in Canada and nobody is armed.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How funny then, that the South is the most violent part of the country. Yeah, that's working out really well, isn't it? Thanks, I'll stay up North,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ix-facts-about-guns-violence-and-gun-control/

Attached Files:

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Since when is nobody armed in Canada? I have a a a few friends that live in Ontario that own and carry handguns.

12. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Maybe it's the cold that prevents gun violence...

----------

But they don't carry guns when going out for a picnic or a kids soccer game, yet everybody feels safe. I was replying to Tomorrow saying that people feels safe outside their home because they carry guns.

13. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

14. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I wouldn't be so sure about that, you probably don't know who is armed around you most of the time.

I go out and I "feel safe". I think the chance of me being in the same spot as a random shooter is slim to none. Yet I don't see an issue with me carrying for that one in a million chance. I could save my life and/or yours.

15. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Teachers and the staffs at school can have mental issues too once in a while, I can't imagine what would happen if a teacher would snap during class and shoot everyone there. I already know of events where teachers were fired for throwing desks and chairs at students, can't imagine how that would turn out if the teacher was armed.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I posted that in another thread as well. It was ignored. I expect it will continue to be ignored.

17. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

I hang out with those people, adults and seniors. I'm in Canada 11 months per year, only saw one person carry a gun and he was a drug dealer. I personally would feel safer knowing nobody around me is carrying a gun.

----------

Someone should start studying this theory :D

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Stop making sense. Clearly, we should just inject more guns into the scenario. That will fix everything. :rolleyes:

It amazes me, the lack of foresight.

19. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

I know :(. I never learn, making sense on online forums just does not work.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Concealed carry is just that, concealed. Most people don't know a person is carrying.

I have a friend who has a CC permit, and we checked into a hotel a while back and he had two guns on him that he removed before he changed his clothes before dinner. One on his side and one under his pant leg. He used to be a local deputy so I kind of expect him to carry, but I spent most of the day with him and never knew he had a gun on him. Let alone two.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why? What's to study? It's typical.

22. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Maybe it's just the person you hang out with. It's hard to conceal a gun during a picnic when everybody empties their bags or a soccer game when everyone comes in shorts with a small bag fors shoes. Trust me, nobody in my entourage carries a gun.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That isn't really what I said - I said that most mass shootings happen in places where it's posted or legislated that you're not allowed to carry a firearm, and I offered that you rarely hear about mass shootings where people may be armed.

My argument wouldn't change if you changed it to Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, or any other states.

24. aerok thread starter macrumors 65816

aerok

Build a case study. Take random people, move half of them to the south and the other half to the north, give each of them a fake gun. Each time someone pulls the trigger, it registers in a computer :D

----------

Keyword is ''most''. Letting people carry guns everywhere will not eliminate the problem, might even start new ones. Also repeating what I said earlier, CCW is not allowed in Canada yet there is no issue of safety.