NRA Vows To Stop Tucson From Destroying Guns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mrkramer, Jan 9, 2013.

1. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was looking on NPR this morning and saw this. Apparently the NRA are more concerned with protecting guns from being destroyed than people...
    http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168926749/nra-vows-to-stop-tuscon-from-destroying-guns

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

According to what you quoted, the text indicates crazy Arizona laws that need fixing.

What is crazy about the NRA here? They want the law followed that the public's representatives created? Unsure what you're implying.

3. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you read the whole article, the law is that the police have to sell abandoned property. A gun buyback isn't exactly abandoned property...

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Every gun has a right to life and to live up to its full potential to kill innocent children. Life begins when you disengage the safety.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They are neither seized nor abandonded. They were bought, so they can do what they please with them.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This can not be stressed enough.

And if the NRA can't distinguish between someone abandoning the guns and the state buying back the guns, then it really shows you how out of touch the NRA truly is.

That's plain, simple common sense; as much as he would be stomping his feet and throwing a 2-year-old toddler's tantrum over it, even Heston could understand common, simple English..

Again, common sense: A trait that seems to have been lost between 1/19/2000 and today.

BL.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It seems obvious enough. Guns don't kill people, but, people can kill guns.

This is all about priorities.

(Now, take a deep breath.)

I can't imagine why any sane individual would still be a member of the NRA, however. There must be a responsible alternative out there. Is there an alternative gun owners' association that promotes safety and responsibility?

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well this just proves how little the NRA cares about people.
    From what I have been reading the NRA is becoming less and less relevent. They have gone so far Right wing the dems are becoming less afraid of pissing them off. Come on one of their BoD is Grover Norquist and other far right people.
    It is pretty clear they do not support dems no matter what.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The statement of a complete idiot. Do guns now have a right, not to be destroyed, lol?

10. chown33, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

chown33 macrumors 604

No, it's just the Arizona law regarding seized or abandoned property (see posts above with the word "abandon"). A seized or abandoned car or boat would have the same fate.

Whether that law is applicable in this case remains to be seen.

EDIT
    NPR article shows this update:
    UPDATE: The Tucson Police Department sent 205 weapons to be destroyed Tuesday afternoon. A spokesman for the NRA says he will work with the Arizona legislature to rewrite the law to prevent police from destroying firearms from gun buybacks in the future.​
    Should make for an interesting legislative session.

I also see the gift cards were funded by private donations, so no government funds were involved. Exactly who owns the weapons, with the right to determine their disposition, could be a pivotal question.
    The people who turned them in got a $50 Safeway gift card for every gun — money donated by the grocery chain and by private contributors.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What's the NRA going to do to stop Tucson from destroying the guns?

Show up and gun down everyone who wants to destroy them? :rolleyes:

These guns weren't "seized or abandoned", they were purchased in a buyback program. Tucson PD can do whatever they damn well please with them now.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The update goes to prove a lot about the NRA right there.
    They want to make it against the law to destroy the guns. Instead they want the police to turn around and sell them so the guns stay out there.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The whole point of a buyback program is to reduce the amount of guns( especially illegal weapons like an AT4 to own) out in the wild. Not to turn around and sell them again at an auction.

The NRA is way off base here.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The police are required to put up seized property for bid? I want to buy some of that weed, then. After all, as Chevy Chase once said, "Cops have the best!"

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

BREAKING:NRA to start protesting at iron mines and steel smelters to protect the lives of unborn guns. (via @inklake)

16. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the NRA is able to get a law like that passed then I'll question the sanity of Arizona even more. Very disturbing that the NRA is this desperate about keeping guns out there on the streets.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why be surprised. The whole purpose of the NRA's existence is to make sure guns are out there.

18. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

What, they support the redistribution of guns, but not wealth? :p

19. mrkramer thread starter macrumors 603

mrkramer

I said it was disturbing, not surprising. The NRA basically seems to want to make sure that everyone has a gun whether they want one or not.

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If congress and the senate represent the general public then I'm not the whitest **************** to ever blind drivers in full sunlight.

Quite honestly this is just getting sad now. It was funny in a kind of endearing way in the beginning, but now the level of idiocy is making me wonder what is the national water supplies.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:eek:

If there was any doubt the NRA was off the rails, this should seal it.

They are like gun right-to-lifers.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wait, turn in a $1000 gun and get a $50 gift card? If they want to really get these guns do a full value by back.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Why is this guy, why is anyone disturbed and dedicated to expending effort to prevent the destruction of purchased guns by law enforcement?? It sounds screwed up to me, like destroying a religious artifact for crimeny's sake.

24. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Which is why volunteer gun buy backs are kind of silly. I'd guess most of their buybacks were guns that were broken or poorly maintained or simply were no longer desired (spouse died, other spouse doesn't want them). It will do little to help crime but just go to say "Yeah we got xxx guns off the street!"

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You mean like the "rocket launchers" that the LAPD were waving around a couple of weeks ago? It is hilarious to watch the Mayor, MSM, and even the Chief make statements like "nobody should have a rocket launcher."

http://ktla.com/2012/12/30/rocket-launchers-turned-in-during-l-a-gun-buyback-not-functional/

I do agree with your assessment o the value or functionality of most of the weapons. But, there have been some really expensive ones turned in.