NSA bugged mobile from German chancellor (?)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ChristianJapan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ChristianJapan, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It gets really funny with our German government: long they do not say anything about the NSA is checking on all kind of communication within Germany. One minister travels to US and come back telling us: "nothing happen, story end".

Now the rumors getting more concrete that the phone of chancellor Merkel is bugged: immediate she calls Obama and ask him to stop. The US ambassador gets an "invite" to talk about it.

Funny: no problem when the NSA spy on her own people, but once her BB get impacted she gets active.
    Wonder if she got a copy/summary of the collected US intel to shut up before.
    Wonder why they can not provide a secured /hardened phone to her.

2. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

"form"?

Hard to say NSA did not run amok.
    I am beginning to think Snowden did us all a favor.

3. ChristianJapan thread starter macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

1) corrected, thanks.
    2) Snowden, agree.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is pretty shocking to be honest.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

6. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Thats a lady I personally wouldn't want to mess with.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

There is a reason the US President doesn't walk around with a cellphone in his pocket. Ever. Even if he wants to call his kids to wish them goodnight.

If the President makes a call, it is routed via special, hyper-encrypted channels.

Because no matter how well encrypted you think commercial phone service is - its not.

Why does the German Chancellor think she can natter away on her Deutsche Telekom phone and not be subject to espionage attacks? If the NSA or CIA bugged her, thats too bad. Perhaps embarrassing. But if the Russian FSS (former KGB) or Chinese MSS starts listening in - then that's really bad.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The Russian intelligence bugging her and the US intelligence bugging her is the same. If not worse on the part of the U.S.

9. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

I just don't think Dr. Merkel has anything important to say on her BB.

Please remember in all of this German's are not Americans it's what makes Germany a nice place to live.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's not very nice. Some of my best friends are American.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Run amok? It's their job to spy on non-Americans.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Think this is bad ? Ha !

NSA monitored calls of 35 world leaders after US official handed over contacts.

"The National Security Agency monitored the phone conversations of 35 world leaders after being given the numbers by an official in another US government department, according to a classified document provided by whistleblower Edward Snowden."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/24/nsa-surveillance-world-leaders-calls

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not exactly what one would call "playing with a straight bat". Damned bad sportspersonship, actually.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

congratulations NSA, you just made the work of other US agencies a lot harder:
    the EU parliament already voted to suspend the SWIFT data exchange with the US and with the german government being pissed i presume no help is coming to prevent that

way to treat allies … just don't moan if nobody wants to support any foreign adventures and you "have to carry the NATO alone"

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Time we all – Europe and US – pressure governments to stop this free-for-all of violating of our privacy. You just knew that the 'Patriot' Act was going to be just one step short of fascism.....

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

17. ChristianJapan thread starter macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Sure they do. Beside not being nice under allies the other point is that Merkel get upset only once her mobile is target. She gives a <beep> when the mobiles of the people elected her are subject of intel gathering. Another example of Doppelmoral.

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It was to spy on TERRORISTS.
    And TERRORIST SYMPATHIZERS / SUPPORTERS.

Spying on other courtliness is job of CIA (who cant do it well anyway)

So, yes, completely run amok.

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

One thing that I have noticed is the difference in how the NSA/Snowden papers have been perceived - by Americans and by other countries (I personally am glad that I'm part of "other countries" ;-) ). And I agree with ChristianJapan - it's sad that officially the case was "closed" before the Chancellor knew that she might have been spied upon personally, it makes everyone else citizens of second degree. Yes, she's more relevant politically, but that should be completely irrelevant to the rights of each individual. "Let them spy on you, bitches..." - "WTF they are spying on me?!!"...

This all has damaged the already questionable reputation of the US tremendously - and I don't blame Snowden, he has done something extremely remarkable.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

While I agree about damage to the US reputation, all Snowden has done is confirm what we already should have inferred for ourselves. This all boils down to one thing: who we vote for.

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Nonsense. Here's an executive order from 1981:

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/codification/executive-order/12333.html
    http://www.nsa.gov/about/mission/

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Who you vote for likely will not make much of a difference. Sure they'll promise more privacy, then once they get into office they'll do the same thing everyone else does.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, the one sure way of allowing the status quo to continue is to sit out elections. At the end of the day, we are responsible for whom we elect - perhaps even more so if we sit idly by and do not cast a vote. This is not a personal comment aimed at sviato, but a general observation: these days it seems that people feel free to cynically criticize their governments without investing any effort in trying to change their governments.

24. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

It's a Canadian blackberry ;) or did you mean the provider? Maybe she uses Aldi-Talk :D .
    She uses this blackberry since June 2013, with a "Krypto-Chip" by Secusmart (Düsseldorf, Germany). It was said, that Blackberry offered all code to Secusmart. Well, what they say.... There were two committees that had to decide, whether it was save enough. One said yes and the other said only for the lowest security demands. It hardware-encrypts SMS, Speech and Mails.

Before that, she used a nokia E63 (from 2009), with the same chip, but it was only able to encrypt SMS and speech and was handed out to other politicians, too. Therefore most ministers used two phone, one for save speech and SMS and one for EMail.

I agree, it is funny, to use a mobile phone and be thinking it is totally unlikely, that any agency would listen in. Maybe she used it really for unimportant stuff or stuff that is secret (like secret for the German public or media), but not important for other countries and she is more pissed over the pure fact that an ally listens in, thinking there will be something important.

I would like to know, why they didn't invite the "Chaos Computer Club" to test Merkel's handy. (Well, maybe the media exaggerates their skills) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Computer_Club (being independent they though sometimes provide advice to the German legislative or hack into state intelligence software to show flaws or show, if it harms peoples rights (famous example is the "Staatstrojaner"))