NSFW: Men read hateful tweets to two female sportswriters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Apr 26, 2016.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This was a very powerful PSA for me.

I feel like this is a must watch, but I'm completely speechless. These tweets were tied to the Patrick Kane scandal last summer. Really devastating.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

JUST WORDS...that NO ONE should ever say to my daughter or else :mad:
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2016 ---
    do the males get any hateful tweets? or just the females?

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed, and I agree completely with the moral of this PSA. They shouldn't be said at all, and not only do I commend the women for putting up with this and keep going (proving the idiots who said this wrong), but I also commend the men for doing this, knowing that they know that these things hurt women, and for just participating in this despite the fact that those tweets are not how they feel and that they completely disagree with them.

All of those in this PSA deserve major props and respect.

Sorry, but FTFY. My apologies if you don't agree, and will take the report (should you feel the need to exercise that privilege) with no regrets.

BL.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Did trump send some of these? this really shows how easy it is to hate on social media.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

"scrub muffin"? I'm not even a Kinsey 0 (pure hetero) male and could figure that one out. Okay, being Kinsey 4 probably doesn't work in my favor this time...

Maybe sports needs more women in it, instead of the constant hype that we need more women in STEM fields, for which history has shown there are women in those fields already and in all positions in the corporate chain o' command and that's why people don't believe that hype anymore. But sports is about as segregated, outdated, grossly overpaid, and grossly unevolved as it gets with those comments. Yet people still haven't noticed and need shock jock PSAs that they won't care about by tomorrow morning?

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not for nothing here, but this isn't just a political issue. If you've seen, none of those that were tweeted had anything to do with politics. This is a major social issue that all men need to take responsibility for, and all women need to stand up and say, "NO MORE".

Harassment transcends politics, regardless of any affiliation; it isn't right, just, nor called for. EVER.

BL.
    Perhaps they need to be reminded of the last time that a woman beat a man in a sport.

BL.

7. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I only included trump because he has said such things to women. hell about his own daughters. this is how mainstream it is when presidential candidate can say it and get away with it. we see so many death threats from all walks of life that I could not imagine anyone saying in person.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good adding the wife, disagree on the "anyone". why? because I have no idea what relationship they might have.
    being sports I am betting the males get just as nasty comments from "fans"

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It shouldn't matter what type of relationship a person has with a women. Harassment is harassment, regardless, and ignoring it also construes condoning it.

I'm reminded of another PSA I remember seeing when I was a child:

[​IMG]

That doesn't just end with children.

BL.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

niece gets "reminders" of things she has done wrong by her BF every so often, she keeps going back to him, 2 nephews ended up in jail when they intervened and she still went back, some people like the misery they endure, if that is what they like then have at it.
    ALL I am saying is that some welcome/tolerate that harassment and worse. I have a niece who "falls" often.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I really hope you or someone in your family would intervene and get her the hell out of that. Otherwise, the cycle is going to continue with their children.. The cycle will not break until you or someone else assists in breaking the cycle.

I come from a family whose parents fought. I don't remember a time when it ever became physical, but there was a lot of screaming and arguing, and very well laced with invective. And because it kept going and going, I thought it was my fault that they fought.

Their divorce wasn't amicable, and every time I had to visit my father, the whole entire cycle started up again, and got worse when my mother remarried. Last they saw each other, they still weren't able to handle themselves without going at it.

Since then, I told myself that I would never, EVER let myself and whomever I would marry, let alone my children, go through anything like I did. They don't deserve that, and just because I went through that doesn't mean they should either. That cycle has to be broken, and it starts with me.

That bodes the same for anyone else stuck in any type of situation like that. If they are willing to run back to someone that is going to harass and abuse them, someone needs to remind them of who loves them, because it is obvious that they don't love themselves enough to care about themselves to get out of it. Again, leaving them to it is pretty much the same as condoning what is going on with them, and while you can call me bleeding heart to your heart's content, I'll wear that moniker with pride if it means helping someone to get away from abusive people.

Someone else who thinks the same way: This guy.

[​IMG]

He grew up in a far worse situation. Here's his take:

Again, the only way to break the cycle is to break the cycle. Don't be the enabler.

BL.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

2 nephews ended up with jail and she still went back. the help & support is there if she wanted to leave, some people love their stupid prizes so I have no sympathy for them.
    thanks for the video.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure why there was such hesitation in reading an anonymous tweet. Everyone in the public light gets hate tweets/emails regardless of sex.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Would you like one of us to read a tweet like this to your wife or daughter?

Honestly, think about how you would feel if one of those was read to them, then revisit your statement.

BL.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You're telling me that women in a male dominated industry get anonymous hateful tweets? Who would have thunk it?

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And I say worse during rush hour traffic daily. Can't say I am impressed.

Furthermore my first PT test was being chased by guidos with bats in ozone Park and they were screaming all kinds of gnarly racial **** the whole time.

Grow some balls and deal with life which is largely difficult with some periods of happiness.

17. 617aircav Suspended

No excuse for those tweets. Patrick Kane was a victim of a malicious false rape accusation and the sports media pretty much threw him under the bus, calling for his suspension despite him not even going to trial. None of these people apologized to Kane when all charges were dropped. Social media has a minority, but loud minority of despicable men and women that don't think twice about sending a vile tweet.

18. 617aircav Suspended

True. In fact men receive more harassment online. I just block and move on.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. And for those here who think that this is okay, or come back with a snarky answer of "You don't Say!!?!", I have a question:

Would you say these things that were tweeted to a woman, without hesitation, and stand by it?

It would be interesting to see how many here would do such a thing.

BL.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I guess I wonder why they would lend a human voice to twitter trolls. All I get out of it is that people tweet some abusive **** toward others.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I agree with this, people of every walk of life get hateful comments online. People writing the comments are relatively anonymous or just stupid to be posting crap like this.

I don't feel like this is a "must watch" because I don't speak, let alone think about women in such a deragatory fashion- and I would never let anyone say that stuff in the presence of a woman, and don't associate with people who talk like that.

It's unacceptable to talk like that anywhere. Sadly such people do exist. If you look at the comments section of almost any popular site you will find garbage like this, not just targeted at the content of the media, but respondents with opposing opinions.

I'm sure men who regularly belittle woman in their thoughts or actions will appreciate this video. I reinforces the fact that their words are highly offensive, which is reaction they're expecting in the first place.

This video assumes that all/many/most men write crap like this and I simply don't think that is true. Anyone who writes stuff like this about anyone is a pretty deplorable human being.

22. 617aircav Suspended

The best way to treat a troll is not to feed it.

23. 617aircav Suspended

Let's not forget that Patrick Kane also faved vile abuse from a lot of opposing fans, some of whom still label him a rapist despite the obvious fact that he is not.

24. hulugu, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I certainly remember a clutch of proto-vatos claiming they would kill every gringo they saw, and looking at me pointedly. And, I remember that feeling of terror, which remained even after I beat the holy hell out of one of them, breaking his nose and three of his fingers.

So, that anyone has to endure that same creeping terror because they have a social media account pisses me off. We've had this problem with social media accounts attached to our female writers, and there are guys who will doxx their address, and then claim that they're coming to rape and murder our writers, editors and even one of our 19-year old interns.

Now, because I'm a bastard with Google and a big public records database, I simply hunted them down and called them. That's a fun conversation.

But, this situation isn't right.

25. 617aircav Suspended

And why did they only use women? As if to say women can't handle trolls as men can.