[NSFW] The Newsroom: America Is Not The Greatest Country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Jul 30, 2012.

1. Prof., Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I don't think anyone outside of politicians trying to rally a crowd really believes America is #1 anymore.

Aaron Sorkin just loves to preach, even if it's something most people with a brain are already well aware of.

4. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Yeah, but it's so much fun to watch.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Go down to your local anything, and ask anybody who #1 is in anything and almost guarantee that the answer will be the United States.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's true- especially in Ohio.

7. eric/ Guest

eric/

I've found it to be true pretty much everywhere. Whether it's Hawaii or Boston, people in general believe that the USA is #1 in everything.

8. 184550 Guest

That clip has been edited and, IMO, it alters the message slightly and leaves out the most important part; '... but we can be.'.

Here's the actual version as aired by HBO.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I gave it a fair chance, and it certainly has it's moments, but I don't watch it anymore. It's too preachy, too many 5-minute speeches, too much men-saving-women and it felt like I was being talked down to for an hour.

Not true in my experience, although I'm sure in other parts of America it is.

----------

And yes, the ending makes it a more worthwhile rant.

10. Andeavor macrumors 6502

This couldn't have been said better by anyone else than Jeff Daniels, one of the greatest American actors.

His brother Jack on the other hand... oof, let's not go there.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? I thought they were the Republican base, by and large.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thank you, Prof., I loved the clip.

Yes, Aaron Sorkin has a reputation for being verbose and for "speechifying"...but then so did some other great writers. Paddy Chayevsky and Rod Serling come to mind.

In real life, though, no one would ever get to make such a soliloquy to a room gone silent. He'd be quickly interrupted by loudmouthed "patriots" spouting loudmouthed jingoisms. The closest I've ever seen it happen in real life was once or twice on Real Time with Bill Maher when Rachel Maddow managed to put down some anti-liberal rhetoric with a witheringly abundant mix of facts and good old fashioned assertiveness.

13. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Thanks for posting. I've updated the OP with your link.

14. 184550 Guest

I agree, I read an oped somewhere a while back that made the point that America often looks forward, into the future and sees it's best days as being ahead it. That was in contrast to the older civilizations of western Europe that, given their lengthy past, often look back to their best days.

I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

Idk obviously it's anecdotal. I've been to quite a few places, and lived in a few too. From Boston to Hawaii everybody has been the same. USA #1!

I think we need to refocus and rethink the way we live our lives. We don't need to be #1 on everything, but we do need a shift in the way we treat others and the way we think about things.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just watched the full clip on YouTube and was even more impressed.

Like I said, Sorkin may be guilty of soapboxing, but goddam that was one powerful scene. I know a lot of people think the show (any show) grinds to a halt when a character goes into a performance like that, but you know, when the writing is so good, when it's so eloquent and it so clearly rings true, I don't mind. I don't mind at all.

Sorry, I know I'm gushing, but that really spoke to me.

And after I watched that, I played the clip where they almost reported Gabby Giffords' "death".

Damn that looks like a good show. I gotta order me some HBO.

17. 184550 Guest

I agree. I watched the first episode when they put in online for free and it was powerful. I really wish HBO would offer a streaming only service for their content.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

His numbers are way way off. We're #34 in infant mortality not #178 (and three of the countries ahead of us are micro states and shouldn't count--Macau, Luxembourg, and #1, Singapore):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_infant_mortality_rate

We're also 38th in life expectancy, not 49th. And again, two of the countries ahead of us are actually part of the U.S. (Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico).

He also switches conveniently from rates, where the U.S. is not first to total defense spending rather than defense spending per capita or as a percentage of GDP (where we're not first--that would be Israel and Saudi Arabia, respectively).

And look at things like labor productivity:

http://www.jpc-net.jp/eng/research/2012_02.html

We're third behind Luxembourg and Norway.

America is not a "the greatest nation 'god' ever gave the world', sure, but it's nowhere near as bad as this nonsense makes it out to be, nor is it in as bad shape. Let's stop the demonizing hyperbole and get working together to make this place better.

19. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Aaron Sorkin is an amazing writer. The Newsroom is now of my favorites all-time! The cast and writing is very strong.

Last Sunday's episode, "Bullies" belonged to Olivia Munn her scene with Skinner & Don was amazing. I'm very happy she's part of the series, I loved her on Attack of the Show.

20. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I have not lived anywhere else but I am starting to believe there may be better places to live

21. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

X10 Totally agree.

22. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

You should take into account that the show is set in 2010, and not 2012. The labor report off of which you were basing your findings was the 2011, so there is a possibility that the information in the show was accurate for 2010.

Nevertheless, the US still isn't #1 in those rankings.

23. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Fair enough. I work with Ted Koppel's 20-year friend and Executive producer as well as an 8-year CNN senior West Wing producer, they both can't stand it based on it's unrealisticness and preachyness. But they are in their 40's, and I'm in my 20's, so I find the show inspiring and fun whereas they find it preachy and unrealistic. Different strokes I suppose.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He also could have pointed out that the U.S. has more privately owned guns—both in number and per capita—than any other nation. (it goes along with the fear thing)

But I do have to quibble about the second half of his speech, where he rhapsodizes about a bygone America where we didn't define ourselves by who we voted for ... blah ... blah ... blah.

That America didn't exist anywhere but as a figment of our imagination.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454