Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nTB MBP 16GB vs TB MBP 8GB?

• 2017 nTB MBP 16GB

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 2018 TB MBP 8GB

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

LDBX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Germany
Since my 6 year old MBA with 4gb of ram is showing its age, I decided it's time for me to buy a new laptop but I need some advice. I have decided to get a 13-inch MBP. Now I can't decide which configuration
fits me, and my use case, better.

I'm a grad student and I have to deal with some relatively large files/data sets/high resolution microscopy pictures. So far, my MBA has been able to handle it. It's not smooth or particularly fast and my memory pressure is constantly yellow/red but it's gotten me through lab reports and a thesis so I can't complain too much. My most used programs would be: Chrome, Safari, Spotify, ImageJ, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Illustrator. I rarely edit any video, and if I do, iMovie is fine. With my current usage, "Swap used" is usually around 3GB.

Since the MBA has served me well all these years, I think the dual-core nTB MBP should be enough "power" for me. However, the keyboard and only one fan are a concern for me. So I figured the TB MBP would be better. But! 16gb of ram could give the computer some more longevity (right now I'm limited by the ram more than any other specs).

Since I'm a student, price is a concern. My budget is limited to €2000 maximum. So I see a few options:

1) 2017 nTB MBP/8gb/256gb (1575 euros)
2) 2017 nTB MBP/16gb/256gb (1792 euros)
3) 2018 TB MBP/8gb/256gb (1799 euros)
4) 2018 TB MBP/16gb/256gb (2017 euros)

I don't know which one to get. To be honest option 4 would be stretching the budget a lot. But I hope to keep this as my only computer for at least 5 years so if I have to, I will get that.

For now, I'm leaning towards option number 2 or 3 with a slight preference for the 2018 TB MBP but I'm not sure I need the extra processing power more than I'd need the 16gb of ram. Thoughts?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I wouldn't consider the nTB MBPro until there is clarity on the possible new 13" coming in the next month or two, if you can wait that long. I know there is always something around the corner, but this really IS just around the corner apparently. If you have to choose today, I'd pick #3 if it's between #2 and #3.

LDBX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Germany
I wouldn't consider the nTB MBPro until there is clarity on the possible new 13" coming in the next month or two, if you can wait that long. I know there is always something around the corner, but this really IS just around the corner apparently. If you have to choose today, I'd pick #3 if it's between #2 and #3.

I could wait because my MBA hasn't died on me but I don't want to miss the Back To School promo that ends on Oct. 2nd. Free Beats is a good motivator.. Then again, if there's a cheaper 13 inch coming, that would save me a lot of €€ so it might be worth waiting for..

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I could wait because my MBA hasn't died on me but I don't want to miss the Back To School promo that ends on Oct. 2nd. Free Beats is a good motivator.. Then again, if there's a cheaper 13 inch coming, that would save me a lot of €€ so it might be worth waiting for..

Yeah it's a gamble. If the rumours are true, it's likely to be cheaper than the current 13" nTB, but at what cost in terms of removed features and/or reduced performance? That's unclear. It sounds like mid/late September so you'd still be in time. Or worst case, if it hasn't launched by Oct 2, we'll probably have firmer intel as to what the specs might be.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

You have about six weeks left under the promotion. So no need to rush into a decision. As with most things Apple we don't know *for sure* until it happens. Analysts/predictions have been correct before, but they've also been wrong.

I'd suggest figuring out which you will buy if nothing else changes, and then wait until either Apple makes some announcement -- possibly early/mid September with phones -- or until the last possible moment. Even then, consider what options you have to return the system such as if you need to leave it unopened/unused and consider using some of that time as well if you still feel something might change.

Reactions: case2001

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Big difference between 2017 and 2018 quad core. The 2018 with 16g would be way to go if keeping for few years but I see 17 over budget.

LDBX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Germany
You have about six weeks left under the promotion. So no need to rush into a decision. As with most things Apple we don't know *for sure* until it happens. Analysts/predictions have been correct before, but they've also been wrong.

I'd suggest figuring out which you will buy if nothing else changes, and then wait until either Apple makes some announcement -- possibly early/mid September with phones -- or until the last possible moment. Even then, consider what options you have to return the system such as if you need to leave it unopened/unused and consider using some of that time as well if you still feel something might change.

Thank you, you're right, I could wait until the end of September to buy and then I'd still have 2 weeks of October to see if Apple releases anything that might fit me better.

As for figuring out what I want if nothing changes.. It seems 2018 TB is the way to go. Right now I think I'd be okay with 8GB but since I have 4GB right now and it tends to use Swap for ~3GB, that might be tight? I'm not sure if RAM used + Swap used = minimum RAM I'd need in new computer. If that's the case then 16GB would make more sense because with 7GB I'd already be at the limit of the 8GB of RAM with my current usage. Would you (or anyone else reading) know more about how GBs of "Swap used" translate when you have a bigger memory? Surely it's not 1:1?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
While a little dated this article is still worthwhile for this question:
https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/osx/understanding-memory-pressure-in-os-x-mavericks/

Good article. I use 8GB today and have no issues. The most intensive stuff I do is probably in Lightroom or perhaps iMovie. I’d typically also have 20 or so tabs open in Safari too.

For general use, I’d consider 8GB. If you think you might use VMs, or do heavier lifting with photo or video then 16GB would not be a bad idea. But given a limited budget if I had to choose between 8GB and an external drive for storage/backups, or 16GB and no spare cash for an external, I would take the 8GB and external. If it’s tight, there are probably better things to spend money on than the extra 8GB.

Reactions: deeddawg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Considering the "usage scenario" you posted above, I'd get the base model and pocket the money saved...

LDBX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Germany
Considering the "usage scenario" you posted above, I'd get the base model and pocket the money saved...

The 2018 TB you mean? That's the way I'm leaning rn but I'm going to wait and see if there's anything coming out in September

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.