Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrfattop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Hi, I'm trying to use a 120 GB NTFS external hard drive that used to be an internal drive on a PC. Apple says that Panther supports NTFS drives (read only), but when I plug the drive in (firewire), the Mac tells me I've inserted a drive the computer cannot read.

Any advice on what the problem may be? Thanks! -- PM

Zargot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Texas
I get the same message when connecting my 160Gb WD USB drive with Tiger... and Panther gave me it as well. :(

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Panther can read NTFS, but can't write to a drive formatted with it.
I don't know how good Tiger is at this, I have not got around to trying it.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
The studio I work at is 2k/XP, so everything except the NASs are formatted NTFS. I'm Mac, so this means that the NASs are the intermediaries. Apple and Windows don't play well together with non-optical drive media. FAT32 (FAT16 also) and UNIX are the only cross platform supported formats. It really sucks that each company doesn’t play well with the others formats. NTFS and HFS (+ journaled) are both proprietary formats, and it looks like neither wants too pass the olive branch.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Eniregnat said:
The studio I work at is 2k/XP, so everything except the NASs are formatted NTFS. I'm Mac, so this means that the NASs are the intermediaries. Apple and Windows don't play well together with non-optical drive media. FAT32 (FAT16 also) and UNIX are the only cross platform supported formats. It really sucks that each company doesn’t play well with the others formats. NTFS and HFS (+ journaled) are both proprietary formats, and it looks like neither wants too pass the olive branch.

FAT12 also works. That's Window's floppy format BTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.