Number of Americans in poverty hits record high

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Sep 14, 2011.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14903732

who is to blame?
    is it poor's fault?
    politicians?
    big corporations?
    greedy banks?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Took the very words from my finger-tips. :p

But such answers are not currently 'politically correct'.

It is preferred to only blame one of the above, and never the poor themselves.

3. chagla thread starter macrumors 6502a

chagla

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I agree. All these poor people should go out and get a job at McDonalds. This will pay all of their family expenses and help them pay down those credit cards that the real nice corporations were nice enough to give them at a 29% interest rate.

I mean they're almost as stupid as Enron.

5. killerrobot, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Daaannnggg. 29% that's a good deal. Mine are at 39%. :)

It's really unfortunate that the 2010 US Census showed that every 1/6 of the population in the US is of Hispanic descent and matches these stats of poverty, because I'm sure some Tea-Baggers will start using that fact as a scapegoat, and blaming all those ¨illegals¨ of taking American jobs and ruining the US economy. :rolleyes:

EDIT: As far as the OP´s question - there's way too many people to point fingers at for the situation and as the saying goes every time you point a finger three point back at you. Also I believe there's a total false conception/correlation out there that all rich people are good/hard-workers with excellent morals and standards that deserve what they have, and all poor people are lazy scumbag lowlifes that have gotten what they deserve and only drag down society. This idea comes from the idea that America is (was) the land of opportunity and anyone can make it big here if they just worked. However, the greed of everyone has ruined that possibility and made it a stagnant place where moving up in society isn't about hard work, but about working the system for your benefit and, unfortunately, the rich have the advantage to work the system more than the poor.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Yeah, it's Heritage, get over it.
    Emphasis mine. As my new next door neighbor retired Marine put it the other day, in this country we don't know what real poverty is. Real poverty is being one of the lucky few people who actually have a cardboard box to call a shack while having to find water to drink by the side of the road that probably has someone's old turd in it.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The title of this thread should be changed to teaparty rant.

[unsubscribe]

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I see. So we should not be alarmed that the standard of living is dropping like a rock off a cliff. We just need an attitude adjustment. Do I have that just about right?

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Absolute poverty exists in the world.
    Relative poverty is related to geography. When the chasm between the "haves" and "have-nots" is so immense and growing in this country, we all need an attitude adjustment (and I don't mean the poor).

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

So we should have some people in complete and abject poverty, living in filth with no house, no food, and no hope, just for good measure?

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

We do, and we turn a blind eye to them or lock them in prison for being mentally ill and poor; they often turn to drugs/alcohol and petty crime just to survive.

For you on the right who think the poor have it so good, take a moment to read the statistics on homelessness.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If you have your hand out for benefits, yet can apparently afford a monthly recurring charge for cable TV, something is amiss, starting with your priorities.

Actual poverty means being not having a home or literally starving for lack of food, so sure, help those people in a way that gets them on their feet so they can look after themselves. But when we see articles like this that bemoan the "poverty" rate, we should remember that it's generally an arbitrary and useless line in the sand of separating the poor from the not poor.

14. MacHamster68, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Poverty what a nice thing , if you live in the western world some see themself a poor if they cant afford a new car ,new big screen telly ,a new smart phone and new computer every year anong some other things
    there are people in africa who have less per year as some kids under 10 in the USA get pocket money , but have to work 16 hours a day 356 days a year to earn that much , but those see themself as priviledged to have job and be able to feed their family sometimes even with meat ;)..no not tbone steaks every day just every couple month some sort of meat

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Where exactly does A/C, a car, a LCD TV, DVDs and computers fit into "Housing, food and warmth" exactly ?

Why are you people jumping at CorvusCamenarum, seems to be his stats are about luxuries and you guys are arguing necessities.

For the guy who called all those luxuries "commodities", please. I can easily find an appartment with no air conditioning, over the air broadcast is fine for things like news, etc..

The poor need to get their priorities straight. Housing, Food, Warmth. Once they have that covered and they're out of debt, maybe just maybe they can use whatever money was going to cover interest to pay for these luxuries.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's exactly what they're saying. Everything is just fine and we have nothing to worry about! When we live in shacks is when we should start worrying about income levels dropping. Unreal.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

[​IMG]

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

They newly poor probably still have assets left over from when times were better. I'm sure many of you have LCD TV's, video game consoles, and computers but if you lost your job for long enough you may not be able to pay your mortgage/rent or buy food while still possessing these items. Eventually, people will sell unnecessary stuff to pay for food but you don't get a whole lot of money for a 2 year old laptop. Sure, there are *some* poor people who made bad financial decisions and continue to do so. However, many got to that state through no fault of their own.

The first thing I notice that libertarian/tea party people do is to characterize all poor as being in that state because they are somehow immoral--and that is what is going on here. That makes it easy to hate them and deny any type of aid without feeling sorry at all. It frees one of guilt and responsibility.

19. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The Fed has been devaluing our currency for decades. They have been hiding real inflation levels for a long time and it's only going to get worse. Until about 2006, the Fed used to report M3 annually(the amount of currency in supply). Eventually that supply went parabolic and they decided not to report it anymore. Were being kept in the dark about how screwed we are. Why have commodities been skyrocketing, but yet the CPI(consumer price index) shows no inflation? The things that cost us the most money, food and energy aren't even included in core inflation values. The more they fudge the numbers the more poverty will climb.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Precisely. You said it better than I could.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're going over the deep end here. You're poor if you can't pay for housing and food--and many people here can't.

22. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

In 2003 I lived out of my Corolla, sold most of the crap I owned out of necessity, ate $2 meals at Jack in a Box every day (2 tacos + 1 hamburger deluxe + a water), and held a working class job while going to community college. If anyone with an apartment, fridge, computer or television had whined about being poor in front of me, I would've smacked them.

Times are hard now and yeah it's a struggle to get by, but half the whining about poverty is due to an unhealthy sense of entitlement. You can't see it, go talk to an immigrant.

23. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Serious question (not intended to be dickish), what did you list as your residence if you had a job and went to school?

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, tell me how you do that with a family in your 40s or 50s. I was in your situation a few times in college too, BTW.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Bingo. A little rough living when you're 18-22 and have nothing of significance to lose can seem like an adventure. Rich kids choose to do that, only it's "backpacking across Europe."

This should in no way be compared to having to live like that permanently as an adult, to say nothing of raising a family. It goes from "check out how big my balls are" to "this is no way for a human being to live" really quick.