Number of Devices On A Single Outlet/Safety

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applemut, Nov 1, 2009.

1. applemut macrumors newbie

I am building a small home network that includes a few desktops running as servers. Right now I have two desktops, 2 consumer-level wireless routers, and a cable modem all running on two outlets. On one outlet I have a power strip with the cable modem and two routers. A few feet away, on another outlet I have another power strip with the two desktops.

Now my Mac is MacBook and is completely separate. But I'm still hoping the folks on the forum will pardon the fact that my question has nothing to do with a Mac exactly and more to do with a mixed Windows/Linux environment.

Back to the setup on the outlets I mention, I would like to add a few more machines, but I'm not sure if its a safe thing to do given how much I have running in this area of the residence already.

In any case, here are my questions:

1) Generally, how many devices (machines, routers, etc..) can you have hanging off one outlet and stil run things safely?

2) Is there a way to measure the current that I'm actually drawing off of each outlet? If so, how would I do this and what would the limits be? (I have a volt meter which I can dig out if it would be helpful.)

I hope my questions don't sound too dumb.

Thanks!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You need a amp meter to measure actual current draw of each device.

But based on each device specs you can have the total current draw of each device.

Based on your house electrical wiring and outlets by design you will be able to have an idea of how much electrical power can be connected safely.