Numbers saved to Contacts don't show up in recent calls when called

jdugan4859

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
My boss just switched from an Iphone 4 on AT&T, to an Iphone 4S on Verizon. He has calls in his recent list that just show a number, and not a name, but those names are saved in his contacts list. Also some numbers in his contacts list, if he calls them from the contact, it gives him a message about adding an international calling plan, but if he dials that same number it works fine.

Any idea what could cause this?

jdugan4859

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
I think the problem is that his phone is saving his contacts like this:

Rather than

(123) 456-7890

But how do you change that?

sashankel

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I'm having the same problem

My contact names won't show up in the recent calls list either, only the phone numbers... does anyone know how to fix this?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My boss just switched from an Iphone 4 on AT&T, to an Iphone 4S on Verizon.

Try the fix in the post by Marwan1981 here:

Marwan1981 said:
I signed up here just to offer my solution for this problem. As far as I know, this is only working on Verizon iPhone 4 and 4s.

I just defected from ATT to Verizon and was suffering from the same problem until I came across this solution. It really worked. all my recent/missed calls and messages now show contact names instead of just numbers. This has nothing to do with iPhone or iOS, it's related to VZW network.

Here is what to do:

From your VZW iPhone:
1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
2) When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"
3) You should get a prompt stating something like "Settings updated." Wait for the call to disconnect.
4) Open the Task Manager and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
5) Wait a few minutes.
6) Open the Message App to verify the fix.

If you are still broken, kill the Message App again, then reboot your phone.

Good luck!

sashankel

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I fixed it

"I was able to fix it:

Try *228 then option 1. If that doesn't work, call Verizon helpdesk and they can fix it. It's some setting on their end. You'll need to call from another phone though since you'll need to do a reset along the way."

I tried the above from the vzw forum and it worked. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.