Nunberg goes further off the rails... Calls Sanders a fat slob

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

He must be drunk

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/sam-nun...other-interview-shes-a-fat-slob-unattractive/

“You know what, if Sarah Huckabee [Sanders] wants to start debasing me — she’s a joke,” Nunberg exclaimed in his call with Robin. “OK, fine, yeah she’s unattractive — she’s a fat slob. OK, fine. But that’s irrelevant. The person she works for has a 30 percent approval rating.”

He continued, “So if she wants to start attacking me, she can do that. That’s fine. But we know it’s a joke. Everyone knows it’s a joke that she’s working there.”

2. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

He went off the rails on various news programs today. He certainly made himself the talk of the news cycle today.

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Lawyer buddy probably explained what happens if you don't answer a subpoena from the FBI— i.e. nothing good.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yah. A WaPo piece has Susan McDougal explaining it, if Nunberg's lawyer didn't manage to make a case.

McDougal served 18 months for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating Whitewater, and four months for fraud. She was a former business associate of Bill Clinton. Her suggestions in a nutshell:

McDougal, who considers herself an “Obama Democrat,” said if she were to give Nunberg advice, it would be, “retroactively, if you don’t want to testify, don’t go on television and do these teaser interviews.” She said she would also tell him, if he thinks he is going to stop Mueller and his team from doing something, “they’ll do it anyway.”

“You’re not going to save anybody,” McDougal said. “If they have done something, you’re not going to save them.”

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I believe the president of the EU has an alcohol problem. As does Nigel Farage. As did Churchill.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If I was Nunberg right now, I'd be drinking. Yet I would do it quietly, respectfully - like an repressed Gentleman...

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...not a fat slob.

BB1F2B56-43DB-472E-BCE8-0FE56F1D4AEE.jpeg

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

He's still trending. He managed to hit all the newsy shows yesterday, on multiple networks. And all because he wants to protect Roger Stone. WTH, dude?!

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The only person who can get away with talking about women like that with zero repercussions is Trump.

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I think it will be interesting to see if Sanders/Trump responds to the comments. Especially if Trump tweets about it. Because hypocrisy.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Pressure can make people erratic and lash out. The thing is:

• My understanding he has immunity to testify.
    • As much as he feels loyalty towards his self described mentor (Stone) because he fears they are “after him” (Stone), he is acting irrationally.
    • His immunity is based on his testimony which could exonerate of vilify Stone.
    • Based on immunity it’s not a wise choice to not cooperate, and it’s not up to him to pass judgement. That is the Grand Jury’s job.

14. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

These days the discreet 12-step meetings attended by members of congress may need extra chairs.

So far my vote on what's up with his un-serene Mr. Nunberg goes to a tossup among

Nunberg contaminating the value of his own possible testimony to escape even having to testify

anyone mixing meds and booze is not a good idea

Roger Stone as spawn of the devil strikes again
    (with entertaining spinoffs unless you're an RNC honcho)​

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So did one of his daughters.

I love Churchill.

16. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

17. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

"Everyone" knows to take a town road to a village convenience store to get some more beer instead of driving on a state highway to nearest city supermarket. Until they have so much beer on the way back from the convenience store that it occurs to them --at the stop sign for the highway-- to run into the city to get still more beer at a cheaper price. "Cheaper price" being the pivotal consideration the guy is no longer able to calculate, so the cops parked near the stop sign will figure it out for him, but from their own point of view.

I guess with Nunberg and the TV hosts, where the TV hosts are the equivalent of those cops parked at the stop sign, the question is whether to engage him for awhile and see how it goes, or just make an assumption and say game over while everyone but Nunberg's still ahead of the curve.

Sure the media are getting eyeballs but now they're also getting questions about whether it's ethical to even have him on the show when seeming impaired and etc. etc. The entertainment value wears off and "Fake News" cries re-emerge, even if the show was not straight news reporting but infotainment for the political class to begin with.

Everyone will forget Nunberg's name and face in awhile, and choose to remember how the news media are ruthless seekers of eyeballs no matter the collateral damage. Maybe these TV shows need better executive editors.

18. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

To be fair (are we allowed to be fair in this forum? will I get banned for being fair?) these people must be under incredible pressure. To us the whole thing is hilarious and we're washing ourselves with schadenfreude, but to these people this is their real lives and it must be pretty terrifying. Some of them are going to jail. The fear of that would drive me nuts.

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It would drive me nuts too but the answer is they made bad decisions then many of them doubled down on them. Generally people who do the right thing don't need to worry about all this.

20. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

Well, we've all made bad choices at some points in our lives.

But I'm not saying he's a good person. I'm just saying I get why he had a meltdown.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you're going to melt down publicly is not the way to do it..

If I'm completely honest people melting down, crying, or any excessive show of emotion publicly shows a lack of discipline.

22. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Generally I agree there, but it can probably be very difficult for someone to figure out what the right thing is when they are peripheral to or not involved in some wrongdoing of which they eventually end up with some knowledge. It's the stuff of needing to lawyer up, basically, and take counsel seriously, and hope it can withstand scrutiny later as lawful counsel -- which was not the case for a few hapless souls in the Watergate spinoffs.

White House aides can end up in those situations. I don't mean someone like Hope Hicks, where there's some indication she was at least aware of certain fabrications before whatever else Trump may have told her (when surely his counsel had already told him to avoid speaking further of any of it to her). I mean people who are practically clerks in the West Wing, abeit with glorified titles, and end up knowing something they wish they did not know, or who don't know anything but get caught up by trying to be evasive for no particular reason and so arousing suspicion. Doing the right thing in that White House now starts with having a lawyer, period.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought this is well. I think he mental health problems and it just so happens his meltdown was public (and epic). I loathe the guy's political views, but it was sad to see somebody basically self-harm like that on television. Mind you, I don't like Sanders either, but Nunberg's comments were uncalled for, for Sanders probably has one of the most soul-destroying jobs on the planet.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think Trump is just a rung in the ladder for Sanders, she got some political power through her family and she appears to be pretty cool under fire.