Nuns should take birth control pills

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Dec 9, 2011.

1. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, this should be interesting.

Remember the old lime pits, in the basements of convents in the Middle-Ages?? Of course you don't, for they have been expunged from the pubic record.

But we have a solution now, under the guise of better heath for nuns.

Perhaps this will finally take the pressure off of alter boys. One can only hope. :rolleyes:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...uns-take-birth-control-pills-what-study-says/

2. Grey Beard, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Well 280 have read the thread, and no one has commented so I suppose it behoves me to ask what you want to change the supposed Altar boys into:)

KGB

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think he is implying that with nuns on birth control, priests who might otherwise prey on altar boys could prey on nuns instead with little proof of their exploits. This would probably have the "benefit" of fewer victims coming forward.

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I was actually alluding to the Senior Gentleman's misspelling of the Alter versus Altar boys.

KGB:rolleyes:

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ooh, I missed that!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As you are old enough to have been there, perhaps a first hand account is in order.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Remember this, iJohn.

For once, it wasn't me commenting on the fact that you are a gentleman of a certain age. :rolleyes::D

(Unlike me, who is a mere child :p)

8. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I feel like this is kind of a non-issue, which is probably why the debate hasn't been raging...

As the nun interviewed in the article you linked to said, there's nothing religiously against a nun's doctor prescribing her medicine with a contraceptive effect as long as the reason for taking it is the treatment of disease. Since birth control pills have potential side effects like blood clots, it makes more sense that women decide individually with their doctor, rather than being pushed by the Church, which shouldn't really be involved in the minutiae of medical care, not having that competence and all...

9. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I'm afraid so, and I had such high hopes for some real blood-letting. :eek:

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The article is about something serious and completely different than in your original post. :rolleyes:

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

These lime pits?

Maria Monk's Awful Disclosures was first published in January, 1836. In it, Monk exposed various scandalous events that, according to her, had occurred at the Hotel Dieu convent in Montreal. She claimed convent nuns were having sexual relations with priests from the neighboring seminary who supposedly entered the convent through a secret tunnel. All babies born of these illicit encounters, Monk claimed, were baptized before being strangled and dumped in a lime pit in the basement of the convent. Maria Monk said she had lived in the convent for a total of seven years before becoming pregnant by a priest. Unable to bear the thought of having her child killed and dumped in the basement, she finally fled.

12. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And why is that??

Because Nature did not intend that women go childless throughout their lives.

If you (obeygiant = God??) allowed Nuns to marry, and bear children, their risks would also be reduced. And without the risks associated with birth control pills.

This forced male hierarchy must go.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

???

14. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Dripping sarcasm, with a little anger mixed in. :)

15. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

I oft wondered what those little dribbles were, hanging off, of the curly things.

KGB:D

16. molala, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

molala macrumors 6502a

17. molala macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/26.1283; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

It's the woman's choice to be a nun and not bear children. They all know the drill -Chastity, poverty and obedience. Why change the whole church? If they feel oppressed, they could opt not to enter or just leave the convent.