NuPower® Batteries for MacBook Pro 15" Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anamznazn, Jun 22, 2011.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I'm in need of buying a new battery for my '09 Macbook Pro. Oddly, the original battery that came with the laptop has been physically expanding. If I laid it down on a flat table, you'd notice that the middle of the battery budges out a bit.

Any who, I was looking around and I found this NuPower battery. Has anyone tried these and is it any good? Or should I just order the OEM one from Apple for $130?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/MacBook_Pro_15_Unibody

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on the problems people have reported with 3rd party batteries, I wouldn't trust or recommend any battery that didn't come from Apple.

3. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

I agree.

You might see if Apple will exchange it - some folks here have reported that Apple has exchanged bulging batteries.

4. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

Thanks guys. I'll give the Apple store a visit then.

5. man02195 macrumors regular

i went into the apple store to exchange a battery, and the replacement one was barely better than the old battery. so i called apple support, and had them overnight a battery replacement. much better. the first battery was 97% after 4 days, the new battery shipped from apple is still at 102% after 8 weeks. i think the batteries at apple are newer and better.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not all batteries have the same health at time of shipment. It's perfectly normal for battery health to fluctuate up and down over time, even within the first few days. There's nothing wrong with such a battery. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. man02195 macrumors regular

interesting, it was down to 79% after a few more days, which is why apple exchanged it. i think there was something wrong with it, but maybe it would have recovered.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it drops below 80% before 1000 cycles, it is likely defective, as indicated in the "BATTERY LIFESPAN" section of the Battery FAQ. Any variation above 80%, especially less than 10% variation, is quite normal.