Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IslandDon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
edit: So the audio is now working, and I actually stumbled upon this very post while doing some web searching for answers, so I figured I'd just note that things are working. Details are in the thread linked below.

Hi, all. I've been having an adventure over on the Linux Mint forum trying to get a MacBook Pro 6,2 to send audio over a Mini-DP-to-HDMI adapter. When I boot using the 5.3 kernel with the nvidia-340 driver installed, the screen goes black with no backlight and never seems to finish booting, even invisibly. When I boot using the 5.0 kernel, the message PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key gets emitted about twice a second. The system eventually finishes booting, but very little seems to work, and what does work is very slow. Problems persist with the adapter not plugged in.

From what I understand, this computer, the nvidia-340 driver, and the adapter all support audio over HDMI, but the open source nouveau driver does not.

Any thoughts on what might be going on? This laptop had a battery that kind of slow-exploded or expanded, so I removed it, but it's otherwise stock. I intend to use is as a media computer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.